Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 1:26am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Stuck Lifter »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Stuck Lifter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stuck Lifter  (Read 646 times)
sejin26

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Stuck Lifter
« on: Apr 2nd, 2010, 9:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I asked about this problem before but nobody had an answer to my question. Whats the best way to shift one and whats the best oil to use after thicker or thiner.

Its a 2.9 12 V engine.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Stuck Lifter
« Reply #1 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 7:46am »

Try running some engine cleaner through the engine. and then using good quality oil. Might even be worth using a hig detergent oil like they use in diesels just for a few hundred miles to see if it frees off. otherwise its s trip down job.
That's what I would do.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 9:37am »

I think you can get the tappets / lifters out on these engines using a piece of bent wire - something like a bit of coathanger wire should do the trick.
Not had to do it myself but the Haynes manual for the V6 engined Sierra shows it being done.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:00am »

Mike.
The 2.9 12v needs it's heads off to completely remove the lifters.I have found it's usually the case that owing to bad past maintenance they are rendered permanently inoperative and need replacing,they cost about £100 and about the same for the headset at factors prices.
Sejin26.
The most positive way to attempt a clean is to drain your oil from a hot engine then put in a flushing oil,the usual instructions are to run at a fast idle for about ten minutes then drain and refill with engine oil using a new filter,very important!It is incredible how much muck comes out.The little cans of patent engine cleaner I have found to be virtually useless.
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
sejin26

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:13am »

Ok I will give that a go. I only just changed the oil the other week mind. But I will give it a go and reposrt back but I am starting to think its the engine itself to be honest.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 3rd, 2010, 2:11pm »

on Apr 3rd, 2010, 10:00am, gozz wrote:
Mike.
The 2.9 12v needs it's heads off to completely remove the lifters.I have found it's usually the case that owing to bad past maintenance they are rendered permanently inoperative and need replacing,they cost about £100 and about the same for the headset at factors prices.
Sejin26.
The most positive way to attempt a clean is to drain your oil from a hot engine then put in a flushing oil,the usual instructions are to run at a fast idle for about ten minutes then drain and refill with engine oil using a new filter,very important!It is incredible how much muck comes out.The little cans of patent engine cleaner I have found to be virtually useless.
                                        GOZZ.

Never knew that Gozz, my Mk3 had the 2.9 12V but I never had to take it apart. Only other Cologne engines I've worked on are the 2.8i version - thought it would have been the same.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.