Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 11:23pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« oh no!! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   oh no!!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: oh no!!  (Read 2611 times)
rich1

london cabbies have the knowledge!!

View Profile

oh no!!
« on: Jul 16th, 2010, 9:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

took my wife to the airport early this morning , and put the heating on for the first time in a while , and now it seems like ive got something leaking, dont know if its just coincidence or not , and as i pulled up outside my house i started to get smoke coming tro the air vents ....., checked my coolant level in the header tank seems a bit low . any ideas please , panicking a bit nowSad

and ive now noticed a puddle under the drivers door!!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: oh no!!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 9:29am »

Rich. Sounds like a leak in the engine bay if it is coming in through the vents. When you say under the drivers door do you mean outside the car?. If so again it sounds like a leak in the engine bay area. I'd suggest you make sure the tank is full of water and then run the engine whilst watching for evidence of the leak. Could be the rad of course or if its a 2.3 the manifold. What car do you have?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
rich1

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 9:34am »

2.0ltr 16v, i will do that water test , but from what i can see it looks to be leaking directly under the drivers door in line with the front of the door . i will try and take a picture and post it on here
IP Logged
rich1

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 10:45am »

ok , ive done the water test as suggested by simmo, let the car run and water started to leak out of the same place as mentioned above , on closer inspection it seems to be leaking out of a drain hole of some sort , i watched with the bonnet up and can see nothing leaking from under the engine , i know water finds it way out from the quickest point , but wouldnt i notice something , i just cant see were its leaking from , confused.com!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 12:41pm »

Rich. I've looked at mine,which is the same engine, and can't see any reasonable source which would get water to that point. First. Have you actually lost water from the header tank?. 2nd. Where is the overflow pipe positioned?. it should run straight down the inner wing but some times they lie on the wing top. 3rd. Is there any water round the base of the drivers side fuse-box? could it be an accumulation from there?. Anything to do with the use of the windscreen washers as all that pipework runs under the bonnet and would be positioned to possibly run or spray out once under pressure?.  
Are you sure the source is external and not from the heater matrix,running under the carpet and then finding its way out through a  hole from inside?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 3:56pm »

Are the drain holes for the sunroof clear they drain out by the rear of the front wings and the front of the rear wings, maybe its partially blocked and now started to clear. otherwise suggest it could be from the A/C but strange if only happens with the engine running which has to be ... Heater matrix/Pipes or A/C Drain ...
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
rich1

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 5:23pm »

update: not started the car since this mornings water test , haven`t lost anymore water from header tank , checked inside and yep , ive got wet carpet on drivers side , around the drivers side fuse box it seems clear and dry , i took it for a spin got the tempreture up then sat and left it running , got a tiny bit of smoke but then nothing . no water loss from header tank no sign of it over heating !!  
going to give it to my mechanic tomorrow and let him have a butchers at it , because im completely flummoxed............oh the joys of owning a scorpioSmiley
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 7:14pm »

Rich. The likely suspect is the heater matrix if the carpet is wet. One clue is that it usually starts with a type of 'Curry ' smell. Does that help?.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 16th, 2010, 9:49pm »

Rich.
Put your finger in the water and taste it,if it's sweet(assuming you have antifreeze)then the heater is leaking,are you familiar with the A/C drain valves that Snoopy mentioned,they get full of gunge then the condensation trickles into the car,however, this does not taste sweet.
            GOZZ.
IP Logged
tlundkvi

Ex. Scorpio 2.9 24V -95

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 8:24am »

I've seen even newer cars developing a lot of water on the floor because of clogged AC drains. Once a car developed a liter of water within an hour, the smell was like wet towels forgotten in a pile for a few days.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 12:07pm »

FWIW, and excuse me for quoting the owner's book again Grin it do say that one of the AC functions is as a dehumidifier, i.e. it removes water from the cooled air being drawn into the interior (condensation). "Therefore it is completely normal if a small pool of water forms underneath the parked vehicle."

However as foregoing have already said, this comes from the AC drains and they must be clear. Shouldn't end up in the carpet.

However as this all started with turning on heater does suggest a heater matrix leak. Although the tap (if it is a tap?) only prevents flow through (?) so there's still coolant in it so if it were leaky it would leak anyway wouldn't it?

IP Logged

Mike H
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 12:37pm »

The heater always has hot coolant running through it, the cabin temperature is controlled by air flaps (in the cabin), so any coolant leak will likely work it's way through to the floor regardless of the heat setting.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 3:57pm »

Okey-dokey then, so turning the heater knob is no reason for "setting it off" Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 5:25pm »

If there is a build up of aircon condensation lying in the heater,turning on the fan will tend to expel it into the footwells,and turning on the fan with heat will cause water vapour to appear at the air outlets.
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
rich1

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 10:46pm »

simmo , i did get the curry smell , where are the ac drains ? not had chance to get it to my mechanics yet
is it ok to drive ??
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 17th, 2010, 10:50pm »

The drains are here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acdrain.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 7:40am »

If you go to This page and scroll down to Air con Problems you will find the reference to the curry smell under 'Internal coolant leak'. That will take you to a link about replacing the heater matrix. The phrase 'None but the brave' comes to mind!!.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
rich1

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 3:13pm »

gozz . you were right it was very very sweet tasting , uurrgh  
got it booked in for monday
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 7:44pm »

My heater matrix started leaking in 2007 while driving. The heater matrix tubes - plastic, on a metal matrix, would you believe? - cracked at the joint with the rubber tubes from the engine. Since this in the vicinity of very hot exhaust pipes white smoke emerges, reminiscing of a blown gasket!

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/step3a_1.jpg

and...  

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/images/step3b_1.jpg

These joint are just inside the engine compartment, at the back of the engine. My local ANWB/RAC managed to put a temp clamp on so I could make it to my workshop.

The heatermatrix is *always* connected to the primary cooling circuit - the inside airtemp is regulated through the flapdoors only.

Inside it had been stinkling for a while until white smoke came off the engine compartment... leaking tubes... it's hell to have this replaced. In my case a little man did it, a day's work.  

Here's some pics how the thing looks...
http://picasaweb.google.nl/lh/sredir?uname=babpic123&target=ALBUM&am p;id=5495316921722806289&authkey=Gv1sRgCPGM79im0dabbg&invite=COuZ08gD&feat=email&mode=SLIDESHOW

Secondhand matrix will set you back $ 30; labour's another thing.

HTH
Ray
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 18th, 2010, 9:39pm »

Ray.
I bet he was a 'little' man,he would need to be to claw about under there Wink
          GOZZ.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.