Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 3:24pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Rust on rear cross box member »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Rust on rear cross box member
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Rust on rear cross box member  (Read 558 times)
Robin.M

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Rust on rear cross box member
« on: Aug 26th, 2010, 8:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi  
On a '98 saloon, on the rear cross box section , where the fuel tank support straps are connect to, is showing signs of rust. One of the support straps connecting points, is buldging downwards due to the weakness of the metal due to rust. There is also a rust hole at the near side of this section, which appears to be larger than is showing by probing it. Has anyone had experience of replacing this box cross member or repairing it. Looks like at the least,  the rear bumper and  fuel tank will have to be removed for the repair

The car will have to have a MOT soon

Geraint

IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Rust on rear cross box member
« Reply #1 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 9:18am »

Geraint.
Regarding the ends of the box section,these can be cut off and plated over just outside the bumper bracket apertures,the floor of the member needs any rotten parts cutting out and plating ,particularly where the offside tank strap fixes.Depending on where the rot is,you may be able to weld it on the inside,rather than underneath.The bumper will need to come off,there is a large plastic 1/4 turn retainer each side nearer the front,and four bolts on the brackets,these have torx heads and can be a problem to remove,they may need their heads grinding off and replacing with hexagon bolts.If you run your tank low on fuel it will stay up on one strap,it wont need removing unless it leaks,or unless you are frightened,it's the petrol vapour that ignites and as the tank is sealed,none can get out and fire can't get in.
           GOZZ.
IP Logged
L6ENY

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 2:36pm »

Geraint, Just had the same welding done on my estate, all plated including the floor under the two front seats, another weak point on the scorpio
Cheers Len.
IP Logged
Robin.M

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 29th, 2010, 12:33pm »

Hi  

Removed the bumber & the job looked more straight forward, done as you suggested Gozz and with the aid of my new high quality 'Tin Snips' with a cantilever action, job was completed on Sat. All back together on Sunday ready for the MOT.

Thanks for the guidance

Geraint
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.