Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:13pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Key fob no good »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Key fob no good
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Key fob no good  (Read 2896 times)
wbph

View Profile

Key fob no good
« on: Oct 5th, 2010, 8:40pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Having got locked out, but now got in, the key fob has given up the ghost. Tried the silver foil trick, it worked for a bit, and now that has stopped.

Seen an advert on ebay offering a repair service for £8. Anybody any experience. They are located in Ambleside, Cumbria. Seems cheap for the service they offer.

Advert is here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-REMOTE-KEY-FOB-MICRO-SWITCH-REPAIR-SERVICE-/1 60486893830?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item255dc3a906
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

Re: Key fob no good
« Reply #1 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 9:01pm »

Quote:
CHECK MICRO SWITCHES IF FAULTY THEY WILL NOT HAVE AN AUDIBLE CLICK WHEN PRESSED AND RELEASED

The fob for the Scorpio does not have an audible 'click' when buttons are pressed, .......well mine doesn't.

There is a detailed repair sequence on this site somewhere, others with more knowledge than me will point you in the right direction.
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Technology2005

Scorpio 2.0 Ultima x 2

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 9:04pm »

The remotes for Scorpio's are not (unless someone knows different with their particular remotes) fitted with any micro switches so this is a misleading auction unless perhaps it refers to the Granada Scorpio?

David
IP Logged
wbph

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 9:40pm »

Ok, seemed too much of a bargain, but it did specify the Scorpio.
I have tried the silver foil repair, worked for a short while and then stopped working, so at a bit of a dead end unless somebody has a spare one for sale.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 5th, 2010, 10:19pm »

on Oct 5th, 2010, 9:01pm, lesterlad aka Rodders wrote:

The fob for the Scorpio does not have an audible 'click' when buttons are pressed, .......well mine doesn't.

There is a detailed repair sequence on this site somewhere, others with more knowledge than me will point you in the right direction.

The repair details are Here Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 7:52am »

Hi - if you think the repair instructions are too complicated - haha I wrote them - try this first.

The conductive rubber dots are getting less conductive over time because of non-conductive rubber wear and dust pollution.

Give them a good clean with a proper grease solvent suitable for tar, rubber, oil, grease, paint etc.

Here we have a poduct called X10 -  http://www.x10vlek.nl/ which is a stain remover that makes stains soluble in water - does the job.

Wipe rubber contact dots as well as the 3 pcb areas looking like intermingled W's. Better not touching/cleaning any other areas.

Make sure you have 2 new batteries and put them correct side up; see print in lid. Check whether the small contcat at the side of the battery-bed touches the battery.

Then carefully follow re-program instructions, when needed.

$ 8 repair for a FOB does not seem expensive. When they say "microswitches", while technically incorrect,  they may replace the conductive rubber buttons and that's good news.

Send them an advance email verifying whether they will repair Scorpio 95+ FOBs.  

HTH
Ray
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 11:51am »

The Transit Fob I have does have micro switches which I did consider transfering into a Scorpio fob, but I’ve never got round to checking if there’s room.  
So it’s possible they might fit them instead.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
micky5

Essex Scorpio man

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 1:15pm »

I repaired mine with the silver electric paint, available from Maplins for around £9
 works great now,  
 Micky5
IP Logged

Bakers make it rise more often,lol
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 1:58pm »

^ yep I've done that on TV remotes, that's good stuff as it happens.

Otherwise what cosray said. No it don't "click" just presses down on two PCB tracks with 'interlaced fingers'. Cleaning usually does the trick.

IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 1:59pm »

Appendix ~ I might be wrong but I think the PCB contacts are gold plated as well!
IP Logged

Mike H
wbph

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 8:20pm »

I sent a message tonight asking for clarification.  
One dealer has just quoted me nearly twenty quid for second hand one, without a guarantee! Shocked
Let you know what happens.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 7:02pm »

That's nothing last time I looked at the price of a new one it said £107 <crash of chin hitting floor> liike I wrote at the time elsewhere on here, what's it made of, platinum and myrrh? LOL ~ makes £20 seem quite reasonable. 'Least you could put one together with all the good bits from both (?)

IP Logged

Mike H
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 7:42pm »

Hi all - well of course your money and comfort is none of my business but two days of Internet discussions with knowledgeable people over an $ 8 repair whereas the new thingy will set you back $ 135 at FoMoCo - what are we talking about here?

Come on WBPH go spoil yourself  Wink and tell us how you fare with this supplier.

Curious
Ray
IP Logged
wbph

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 9:40pm »

Being sent Monday, he says he will give it a look. Money back if he can't get it to go if I read the advert correctly.

Let you know.

Got into the car, but can't lock it because both locks have had it. Got two s/hand from RS Turbo breaking in Bournemouth. Excellent service, ordered and delivered within 48 hrs.

Drive shafts gone on the Citroen now, whatever next ! Only got one car left with everything working !
IP Logged
wbph

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Oct 19th, 2010, 4:26pm »

Just reporting back, and am happy to hearily endorse the service. Smiley
Sent Monday lunchtime, back registered post Wednesday lunchtime, recorded delivery, repaired and with new batteries.
Locks now operate with a satisfactory click, and there are new micro switches inside the fob.
Excellent. The cost has gone up to £12 now apparently, but still worth the cost I would say.
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 19th, 2010, 6:58pm »

Sounds good... excellent service and reliable.
$12 versus a new fob's cost is a good investment..!

Cheers
Ray
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Oct 19th, 2010, 7:19pm »

on Oct 19th, 2010, 4:26pm, wbph wrote:
Just reporting back, and am happy to hearily endorse the service. Smiley
Sent Monday lunchtime, back registered post Wednesday lunchtime, recorded delivery, repaired and with new batteries.
Locks now operate with a satisfactory click, and there are new micro switches inside the fob.
Excellent. The cost has gone up to £12 now apparently, but still worth the cost I would say.

Can you post the relevant details as I'm sure this will bring forth a number of requests. A telephone number would be helpful if you have one. Remember that not everyone is an E-Bay fan and may wish to deal direct. Thank You. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mottsy

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21st, 2010, 3:44pm »

Hi  

can you also pass me the details of who fixed the fob. I have a couple I need fixing.

Thanks

Tony.
IP Logged
wbph

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21st, 2010, 10:24pm »

Emailed the chap for permission first, which was given. So, here is the name, address and telephone number. The fee is £12 but he didn't specify how to pay if not doing it on ebay.

Phil Heap
55 Castlefield
Ambleside
Cumbria
LA22 9BQ

tel. 07564568817

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Oct 22nd, 2010, 1:28pm »

UPDATE: I have spoken to Phillip Heap and he is happy for members to pay by cheque etc. I have also pointed out that such transactions are a matter for him and the member. He seems keen to help and is apparently hoping to soon have a web-site up and running.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.