Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:17pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« jerky gear change (specially when cold) or low spe »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   jerky gear change (specially when cold) or low spe
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: jerky gear change (specially when cold) or low spe  (Read 1120 times)
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

jerky gear change (specially when cold) or low spe
« on: Oct 12th, 2010, 1:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

chaps

any ideas on this, my car a 1995 Scorpio ultima seems to have delveloped a jerk when changing gear or basically it sounds lumpy.

I had some problems with the Fuel shut off loom which I tried to resolve with some insulation tape, but it was so shot in the end I had to change it, we also found out the Idle valve was shot as well so this has been changed too  

the car now drives like a dream bar a clunky change, which if I back of just before it changes is no to bad, I don't bang the nuts of the car anyway and I don't drive it hard or accellerate hard anyway, and the box was fine before the loom needed changing (it was really bad)

the Car has done 86K i've just checked the oil in the box, it more a pinky brown than red, but it does smell like fluid, and more to the point it is smooth to the touch it doesn'y feel contaminated, but I presume chaning will be of benefit.

Any thought VSS broken, or just change the oil and see?

your thought are most welcome

Dave
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: jerky gear change (specially when cold) or low
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 2:23pm »

Have you cleaned the MAF?
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 2:23pm »

Dave, Unless you know it's been done before, an oil and filter change would benefit the gearbox and the way it operates. Also try cleaning the maf. It does, when dirty, affect the gear changes.  Lee
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 6:57pm »

This could be fairly similar to my problem, where is the 'idle valve' , maybe I should change mine?

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 8:36pm »

PJD.
Idle air control valve,2.3 is on the inlet manifold at the side of the throttle housing,24v is on thetop of the inlet manifold in the centre at the rear of the engine,12v is on the front of the plenum.
       GOZZ.
IP Logged
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 8:34am »

on Oct 12th, 2010, 6:57pm, PJDavis wrote:
This could be fairly similar to my problem, where is the 'idle valve' , maybe I should change mine?

Peter

peter

be aware changing my Idle control valve didn't cure the problem, my problem with that was the car would not run when cold, and it would idle at about 750 rpm when warm.  also it would just cut out at anytime with out warning really worrying when in a automatic and your unable to bump start the engine again.

the Idle control valve cured this problem the wiring i'm sure caused the issue with the box, so today I'm going to try cleaning the MAF unit and see what that brings, if not i'll do the gearbox oil next week  

thanks for all the help here guys

this is where I got my Idle control valve cheapest I could fine, was with me next day.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AIR-PASS-VALVE-IDLE-SPEED-CONTROL-FORD-SCORPIO-/19 0341194083?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c51382163
IP Logged
zero

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 14th, 2010, 9:53am »

on Oct 12th, 2010, 2:23pm, Tompion wrote:
Have you cleaned the MAF?
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cleanmaf.htm

Yep just done this, and it didn't look to bad,  I've cleaned as per the instruction and I now have a slight Hunting back, at about 1000RPM I presume this is due to me moving the connections and cleaning the MAF unit, so I'm going to recheck all my joints are clean and tight, but I'm sure they are.

Anyway a TEst drive was done, and the hunnting issue didn't really seem to be causing a problem, but the box selection is still jecky,  this seems to only be between first and second, and second back to first, once changed to second it seems to be okay so it only the first gear change, I tend to notice it more when first getting in, and round towen driving.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Dave
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.