Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:22pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Washer jet no pressure »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Washer jet no pressure
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Washer jet no pressure  (Read 1963 times)
kjells

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Washer jet no pressure
« on: Oct 25th, 2010, 5:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all!

Our old Scorpio (2.3 -97) is still on the road!!!

I have problem with washer jets on windows and headlights. Water is just coming up on the front/back window, due to poor pressure. I have just changed the pump but it did not help. Checked the fuse for headlight washer, but that's ok, but the jets does not work/show. How does the headlight washer works? Is there a separate motor/pump for this and is that connected/dependent on the other pump? Any links to help or discussion on this is issue are welcomed.  
Best regards/Kjell
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Washer jet no pressure
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 5:32pm »

Hi Kjell,

there are two pumps on the headlight wash version.

Reservoirs are bad for collecting junk (usually old washing up liquid which congeals) and blocking the pumps/pipes

I've also seen the headlight washer pipes kink
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

kjells

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 6:06pm »

Thank you for that info. On the reservoir there was one slightly bigger thing (pump?) connecting to the headlight washers just beside the window pump/jet or whatever it is called. When I replaced the old smaller pump there was a spongy thing in the reservoir fitting hole which I believed was some kind of filter. Is that so? or should it be removed? I am pretty sure that it was not just junk, it felt like some kind of filter and water was easily let out without the pump fitted.  /kjell
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 6:58pm »

There is a one way valve in the pipe work I believe.

I expect Simmo will be along to tell you where it is.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
kjells

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 9:17pm »

I figure that there is with the pipes, either junk/dirt/a kink as already suggested. If there is a one way valve it must be a very tiny thing for window jets but I need to look through this carefully. I have no idea about the headlight washers but to me it seems that these ones are driven up by water pressure from the separate pump and at the moment i have to get the window washers to work. I saw that there were tiny wires/cables along the pipes near the outlet nozzles (front window) and that it was broken off. Anyone who have a fix for these. If I am not wrong these tiny wire are resistors for heating to help keep clean from getting ice stuck in the pipe work/spreaders. I will continue when there is time and see if I can remove the pipes from spreaders/jets/nozzles?? and flush to see if somethings comes out. Something good might come out, orHuh??
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25th, 2010, 10:16pm »

kjells.
The pump pushes into a rubber grommet which also contains a filter similar to a small colander,they always block up,take it right out and put a hosepipe in the reservoir to flush the crud out.
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 8:09am »

Here's Mike's post:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1248620075;start=0#0
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 8:31am »

Thanks for that Dave. Certainly that was the problem on my car BUT Gozz is absolutely correct in that the most common cause is the filter 'screen' being covered in slime. A neighbour of mine recently had the same problem, bought a new pump only to be shown by me that the filter was blocked !!. It was so gunged up that it really did look like a solid membrane rather than a filter. Cheesy Grin

You are correct in that the tiny wires going to the washer jets are for the heating elements and as far as I know there is no way of mending them. They seem to corrode and simply break up. Sad

The 'one way valve' in the pipe work for the screen washers is indeed very small and looks,at first glance, to be just a black plastic joining piece.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 10:12am »

Here are the Pictures of the washer jets courtesy of Simmo..

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 8:46pm »

The metal bit can corrode and block the jet, has happened to me. If this happens it swells up and sticks in the bonnet and if you are dum, like me, you end up damaging the bonnet trying to get them out. Huh Huh
IP Logged
kjells

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 8:08am »

If I would have known better, I'd just replace all tubings when replacing the pump. Now I have put hose clamps on pump, washers and on the connection to rear window. Pressure is now sufficient but I think it could be better. On our car we had a small leak, (difficult to see), at the connection to the rear window that somehow effected overall pressure.  Undecided kjell
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 1:34pm »

Colud be leak is caused / aggravated by resistance (partial blockage) further down the line?

on Oct 25th, 2010, 5:32pm, Highlander wrote:
Reservoirs are bad for collecting junk (usually old washing up liquid which congeals) and blocking the pumps/pipes

I always stick to proprietary screen wash fluid.

Also keep using it in Summer, don't just keep sticking neat water in.

Knew a bloke (my driving instructor actually ~ how long a go was that?) who used meths, could pong a bit though.  Smiley

IP Logged

Mike H
kjells

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 1st, 2010, 6:30pm »

All tubings that I have checked so far are clean as well as the reservoir, (it was the first thing that I checked).

Another issue..., It never ends..., After replacement of pump the only way to "wash" windows is to press control forward. The push button does not work, it starts wipers but no wash. Does Fords original pump have a relay/delay or something within it, or is it just another loose connection. Probably there is nothing wrong with the old original pump, I'm thinking of to put it back and test, but you guys probably can tell.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.