Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 6:24pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Flicking needles :-( »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Flicking needles :-(
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Flicking needles :-(  (Read 1932 times)
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Flicking needles :-(
« on: Oct 28th, 2010, 3:58pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Noticed my speedo & rev counter needles flicked right round today - done it twice so far but not every time I start the engine.

Did the digital readout check by holding the trip meter button in for a few seconds and then cycling through the readings  - got 13.3v with the engine running at tickover and 11.8v with the engine off.

I know this probably means the battery is on the way out. Is it likely to just die on me ( do I need to change it mega urgently ! ) or will it be OK for a few days or maybe a week or 2 ?

I've had the car for approx 3 1/2 years and the battery is the one that came with the car so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Flicking needles :-(
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 4:12pm »

Isn't there one in 'The Shed' ?? Grin. Looks like it's a new one Mike but you might keep it going for a while if you can keep it trickle charged.  Undecided
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 4:20pm »

Mike,

Don't forget the needles will always flick round (next time you turn the ignition on) after you check the voltage this way.

I often find the voltage down to 11.8, but not immediately after turning off the ignition.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 5:54pm »

I drove with "flicking" needles for a few months then a couple of weeks ago it died a death - just clicking from the starter motor - I guess one of the cells finally collapsed in the battery.

So yes, you probably could drive it for a while before it fails you.  On the other hand, that day could be tomorrow.
IP Logged
Stixy

I should know better

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 6:57pm »

Nothing to do with the problem   but Check your battery clamp before you need to swap the battery as i have had a few that have been that rusty its almost impossible to get the bolt out and clamp off  
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 9:55pm »

Test your electrolyte Mike,if one or more cell is noticeably lower than the others they are most probably dying,best to replace then.
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
emptypockets

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:16pm »

Hi Mike.

I have had similar problems recently.  Even with a reading of 11.8 the engine wouldn't turn over some mornings, just the dreaded click.  Turned out it was the regulator on the alternator.   Now reading 14.3.   With "everything going" electrically at this time of year there was more going out than going in.  Which is exactly what my bank manager said last week!

Cheers.
IP Logged

John
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 5:07pm »

Note measuring battery Voltage don't often mean a lot really ~ unless it's measured with a load on, is a bit more meaningful ~ and anyway should really be 12.6V 'cause a LA cell is 2.1V.

As Tompion says if not been fiddling with the diagnostic thingy, then it's an early warning ~ needs a 2 hour cruise on a motorway or battery charger!

Reminds me must do mine cos I've been getting the pre-early warning, quick flick of the ABS light on start-up.

I shall be putting it on the 8 Amps mains charger for 48 hours. It usually works out as that sort of time

IP Logged

Mike H
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 12:11am »

on Oct 29th, 2010, 5:07pm, Mike H wrote:
Note measuring battery Voltage don't often mean a lot really ~ unless it's measured with a load on

Spot on! Even a very bad battery can survive for a long time if there is no need for high current for more than just a few eyeblinks. For example my 55 Ah battery, which didn't bring life to my Sierra few years ago, is still kicking when it comes to start up a 35hp outboard. And that's not all - the battery has been spending it's time under a piece of plastic at the waterfront in Finland. All year around for two winters so far.

My Scorpio has been performing the dial dance for seven months now. So far I've just been waiting for the fatal day;)
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 12:02pm »

Seven months is stretching it, I'd wanna do something about it by now Grin

IP Logged

Mike H
scorpio_man
Administrator

Ford Kuga awd

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 30th, 2010, 12:26pm »

on Oct 28th, 2010, 9:55pm, gozz wrote:
Test your electrolyte Mike,if one or more cell is noticeably lower than the others they are most probably dying,best to replace then.
                                  GOZZ.

just had to do this with my wee honda. failed to start the other day for the first time ever.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 31st, 2010, 12:53pm »

Now here's an example, just been out to top up with some fuel, about maybe 3 - 4 miles is all, when I get back put charger on.  

Plug it in, all the LED's light up "90%" (or greater than) I know for a fact it ain't! Or not a tremendous lot. It's just 'cause I've literally just turned it off!

Unplug, do it again, 70% this time. That's more nearer the truth. It can drop while you watch it....

IP Logged

Mike H
Marcello

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 27th, 2011, 7:35pm »

Same thing is happening to my Cosworth and I've also noticed that when it does, the mileage trip meter resets itself back to zero as well.

Anyone had that happen to theirs too and does that suggest my battery / alternator is on its / their way out?
IP Logged
nagrom04

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 27th, 2011, 7:43pm »

Same here the flicking needles, blank display, offside doors on the display flash as well the mile counter reset to zero. Had this for a few months now.

IP Logged
Waglet

Aubergine 24V

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 29th, 2011, 7:41pm »

Been working at a car compound, moving a few new motors etc. All new Vauxhall cars have needles that flick round every time! So Scorpios it would seem set a trend for manufactures of new motors to follow.  Grin
My Scorp 24V did it and when the milometer reset it drove me crazy, new Bosch battery fixed it!!
IP Logged

Waglet
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 11:39am »

OK so have we now established that flicking needles = battery needs charging? Grin

Unless you did a dashboard diag of course, that isn't the same thing

I was getting the early warning ABS-light-up-on-turn-key-to-start this morning so the charger's plugged in now

I have a fag lighter plug on it and so just plug it into the rear cigar socket, with an extension lead, so it's relatively quick and easy, in case I haven't mentioned it before

IP Logged

Mike H
The Rooster in the Scorpio.

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 11:56am »

on Mar 29th, 2011, 7:41pm, Waglet wrote:
Been working at a car compound, moving a few new motors etc. All new Vauxhall cars have needles that flick round every time! So Scorpios it would seem set a trend for manufactures of new motors to follow.  Grin
My Scorp 24V did it and when the milometer reset it drove me crazy, new Bosch battery fixed it!!

Waglet,you are a lucky Scorpio Owner. My new Varta appears to have stopped the Air Bag Light from flicking on,on odd occasions it would flicker during driving,but the Speedo Trip Meter still has a mind of its own. We were up on the Kirkstone Pass in Cumbria in the car park opposite the Hostelry. I started up and the trip meter reset to 0 miles.
Is it possible that it has become an Altimeter for the decent to Bowness !!!Huh HA HA .
IP Logged

Big Fords with Big Lumps & an Automatic Transmission are for Easy Driving.
Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 8:16pm »

my 2-3 has been flicking needles since i bought the car in 2006, and still has the same battery, i guess i just got used to it, starts fine every time, having said that, i'll probably go out there tomorrow and it won't! Smiley
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
The Rooster in the Scorpio.

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 9:26pm »

on Mar 30th, 2011, 8:16pm, ro284 wrote:
my 2-3 has been flicking needles since i bought the car in 2006, and still has the same battery, i guess i just got used to it, starts fine every time, having said that, i'll probably go out there tomorrow and it won't! Smiley

Hi ro284. Do both your On-board Computer & Seat Memory switches function correctly?.
My On-board computer switch was intermittent as was/is the Seat Memory Switch. Tony (a local member tried his switch in my car and his is fully functioning in my car (therefore my switch is duff).
I replaced my Memory Seat switch with another,it was OK for a while but since the flicking needle caper it has ceased to function at position 1. I have had a new Varta Battery fitted and the alternator checked out by my Auto Electrical Guru,that is OK and functioning as it should.
IP Logged

Big Fords with Big Lumps & an Automatic Transmission are for Easy Driving.
Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 10:06pm »

hi mate, sorry my car is the GHia no electric seats, no sun roof, so it.s not such a problem with my basic model
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.