Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:22am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.9 12v - Problems starting & idling »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.9 12v - Problems starting & idling
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.9 12v - Problems starting & idling  (Read 466 times)
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

2.9 12v - Problems starting & idling
« on: Nov 17th, 2010, 1:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I've read through a fair few posts and the problem solving section, but hope someone can give me some specific advice to my symptoms.  

For the past few weeks the car has been running fairly rough for the first 2 or 3 miles, even though no problems starting. After 2 or 3 miles engine seems to run fine. Last night tried to start the car and it wouldn't fire, although the engine turned fine. Also today, same problem. FYI, it's been very damp/cold over the last days and the rough running over the last few weeks does seem to co-incide with the change in weather.

I changed the plugs, distributor cap and rotor arm just over a year ago, so am assuming those shouldn't be the problem. Thinking about changing the HT leads next (only probably because it's the next simplest thing for me to do).

Has anyone got any advice or ideas what other things I should check, given my symptoms?

Many thanks in advance.
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: 2.9 12v - Problems starting & idling
« Reply #1 on: Nov 17th, 2010, 9:13pm »

An old 12v of mine had the same probs when it was damp weather, turned out 1 of the spark plugs had cracked on the insulator and was shorting untill the dampnesd dried out of it
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 12:58pm »

The damp is possibly affecting various other electrical connections as well, a good going over with WD40 might help

IP Logged

Mike H
TomP

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2010, 1:02pm »

Thanks for the replies. I have put the car in the garage over the last few eeeks and starting is better, although it still runs a bit rough for a few minutes to start with.

One other thing now is a very fast 'tick, tick, tick, tick, tick, tick' when I turn the ignition, before I hear the normal sound of the starter motor, then the engine firing. Any ideas what this is likely to be?....sticking starter motor perhaps?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 10th, 2010, 8:07am »

Could well be the starter solenoid sticking if it is a loud sound, although these cars do not seem to suffer ;like others from sticking solenoids . well worth investigating though. The 12v use old technology it has a coil and a distributor . Its always worth cleaning the top of the coiil and givi it the occasional spray to keep the damp of and a good set of HT leads is essential.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2010, 10:17am »

I have had similar probs. with my 12 valve  Angry.  It just does not like cold damp weather coupled with standing idle outside for days on end  Sad.  I have owned her for 4 years now and every winter is the same.  When driven on a daily basis there are no problems.  A good squirt with WD40 around the  Engine Bay seems to help. especially around the back of the Radiator top where there are all sorts of Electric bits and bobs - just behind the Coil there sits a little black rectangular "box" with 2 wires attached which caused a prob some time ago - startining probs.  I took her to Tytherleigh Auto Electrics here in Chard and  the bloke found that although these wires looked and felt secure one of them had come adrift inside  Huh.  He fixed it but sadly I have forgotten how, sorry  Embarassed.

An all weather prob I had was that she would spin the engine but would not fire  Undecided . I chased that one for months, eventually remembering that the throttle spindle mechanism was sticking slightly open I gave it a good lubricating.  End of problem  Grin.  I keep it free and have had no further problems for a while now.

Mike
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.