Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 8:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« reeks of petrol! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   reeks of petrol!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: reeks of petrol!  (Read 828 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

reeks of petrol!
« on: Nov 18th, 2010, 7:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I only picked the car up yesterday, when i paid for it, good price! the guy said oh i forgot the wife reminded me that it stinks of petrol, and not to put more than £30 in, so i did,i had to to drive over 170 miles home, i know it's always a chance on ebay! but it reeked! (made me feel ill) i noticed that as the fuel level dropped the stink went away, what i cant understand is how the stink can be so strong inside the car! even with windows and roof open.any ideas please as to where to look? 97 24v estate,
thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: reeks of petrol!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 8:38pm »

Most likely leaking from around the joint between the top and bottom halves of the fuel tank. Common problem. Only real cure is another tank. Not a difficult job to do but run the tank down to almost empty before taking it out - much lighter  Wink
Smell will be strong because of the fuel vapour from the leak.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 8:40pm »

Sounds like the tank has a hole in it if you can only fill to a certain point, have you checked for any signs of leaking
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 8:48pm »

thanks guys, i have crawled under the tank tonight, nothing obvious, but have an Mot saturday, hope to have a proper look then, what i find strange is that it smells more in the back of the car, but the boot lock has siezed up and i cant lift up the floor over spare wheel, i have heard of someone drilling a hole to let water out of the wheel well, and drilled through the tank as well!
As i say i cant get in through the tailgate yet, i have been lying in the back (stinks) trying to reach the other side of the tailgate button, via the reversing light access, no joy yet.
Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 8:55pm »

on Nov 18th, 2010, 8:48pm, ro284 wrote:
I have heard of someone drilling a hole to let water out of the wheel well, and drilled through the tank as well !

Unlikely as the spare wheel well is on the passenger side, fuel tank on the drivers side - next to each other, not above / below.

Fuel tanks leaking around the seam is not uncommon. New tank available for under £100, s/h obviously cheaper but you might end up doing the job again.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2010, 9:18pm »

The most common leak point is caused by corrosion around the filler neck behind the O/S wheel due to mud build up.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 19th, 2010, 8:23am »

The details of removal etc are are all Here.  The seal around the tank 'sender' unit is also a common cause of such problems.
As for the boot lock best keep soaking in WD40. The centre button seizes up. Open the keyhole and get WD40 in there as well.  Use the key to gradually try and 'work' the lock as you apply the WD. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 19th, 2010, 3:33pm »

Thanks for your help guys, i have managed to open tailgate, the button was (still is) siezed solid, but if it helps, the way i broke in was by removeng the inside boot plastic trim, from lower glass and pulling on the mechanism,(which the button pushes on) then i noticed why it would not open on the remote, the connector with the switch was off, i will have to replace the button later, but i can open the tailgate with the remote after re-fitting the switch, but no sign of any petrol in there, hope to have a peep under car at mot tomorrow, thanks again.
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 1:07pm »

In the normal course of events the fuel tank is made under slight vacuum I believe? So when you unscrew the filler cap it hisses. Presumably if it don't hiss means air is getting in? I.e. a leak.

What about one of these breather hoses or whatever it is being loose?

IP Logged

Mike H
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 23rd, 2010, 4:39pm »

Thanks Mike i managed to have a look at the tank while the car failed mot! there is definitely signs of a leak from the seam of the tank, it looks as if the car has been reversed up a steep grass verge, which has pushed the tank up, i am surprised that the design of the tank has the seam so low! so i will fit another tank, i did not notice any hiss at all after a run,
Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24th, 2010, 12:39pm »

That's very unfortunate, there ain't a lot of ground clearance is there?

Yep supposed to hiss when you start unscrewing the filler cap. The slight vacuum is necessary for a reason but can't remember what it is offhand.

Which reminds me, going off-topic but does anyone else have a problem with kerb stones too high at the ends of parking spaces? You know how long the car is, and increasingly I've noticed a trend for parking spaces to be "not long enough". Is it a deliberate ploy to make us get smaller cars or something? I've already ripped off one end of my front spoiler once trying to get it further in so the back end isn't sticking out by a yard.

<end of mini-rant>

IP Logged

Mike H
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 24th, 2010, 1:20pm »

on Nov 24th, 2010, 12:39pm, Mike H wrote:
Which reminds me, going off-topic but does anyone else have a problem with kerb stones too high at the ends of parking spaces? You know how long the car is, and increasingly I've noticed a trend for parking spaces to be "not long enough"

Its old age Mike  Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 24th, 2010, 1:29pm »

That's what they'd like us to think Grin

It's a conspiracy I tell you
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.