Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 6th, 2024, 7:23pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Estate tailgate lock »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Estate tailgate lock
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Estate tailgate lock  (Read 1707 times)
magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Estate tailgate lock
« on: Nov 28th, 2010, 4:43pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a problem with my estate tailgate lock. When I open it with key or fob the central locking unit rattles. I removed the unit and opened it, looks OK. All help appreciated.
IP Logged
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

Re: Estate tailgate lock
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28th, 2010, 6:52pm »

Hi, what do you mean "it looks OK?".
Had you seen one before?
Removing this unit is quite a job.
What made you do that?
What is "central locking unit "? and where exactly does it rattle?
Do you have a spare unit available for replacement? They are quite scarce.
Usually - after 12 years of service or more -  the reversing contacts inside are contaminated by oil, grease and metal grinds - is thatperhaps the case?  

Simmo, I remember we had an article + photos of a similar case on the forum. I searched in vain; perhaps you remember?

Curious,
Ray

IP Logged
magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 1:39pm »

I am referring to the unit mounted in the tailgate. I found an article about this unit in the forums but in that case there was a tooth stripped on the rack which jammed the lock. Im my case the mechanism operates and does release the lock but it keeps trying for about ten times before it stops. It looks like it is not sending a signal to indicate that it has already done its job. I opened the unit and cleaned the tracks also the three contacts on the slider but it does not clear the problem. Unfortunately I do not have a spare. Having removed the unit I can open the lock manually but I like if possible to have all the bits and pieces working.
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 29th, 2010, 1:52pm »

Hi Magno, the tailgate lock has only two wires: one plus and one ground. It has no "end-signal" switch. Inside  

In its insides you will find a "click-ballpoint" type of mechanism that cuts off the power once the rotating shaft has made a number of turns, thereby releasing the lock. It is directly powered by the CCM to ground.

The CCM will provide power longer than needed to allow for the rotator to return to its stop position and cut its own power, for the next cycle.

So if it keeps rotating it means the contacts of the slidermechanism do not function properly. Rahter than finishing its cycle by itself it only stops when the CCM stops providing linevoltage, which explains for the 10 or so turns.  

It takes cleaning and perhaps bending them a wee bit.

Where exactly do/did you hear this "rattle"? In the motor?

Here's the electric diagram for the locking circuitry (do you read diagrams?):  

http://cid-eb36f845ea9b8fb6.office.live.com/self.aspx/WIRING%20DIAGRAMS/ CENTRAL%5E_LOCKING.pdf

HTH
Ray
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 12:56am »

Has it always rattled, or is this something that has developed?

There may be different designs (possibly CCM’s tailored to different designs for all I know), but on mine the track & the switching is irrelevant. There is nothing the swivelling contact can do it gets to the end where there’s a dead section & makes & breaks until the CCM cuts the power.
Without looking at the motor again, I think the outer tracks are connected by the swivelling contact, at the end of travel the centre track is also connected but there’s no wire to it - the contact doesn’t swivel enough to break contact between the outer tracks so it just chatters at the dead section.

This thread is rather long & mainly not very relevant:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1277750057;start=

I posted in that thread:
“Having looked at the switch/track arrangement it’s not very relevant in this case as the switch is for the centre connector which isn’t used in this fitment. There is however a dead section (black in the picture just before the plastic rivet) at the end of the track to the red motor wire. This causes mine to chatter as the spring keeps pushing it back & making contact again until the power goes off – not sure if it’s meant to do that, don’t remember hearing it on the old one, I can’t see any reason not to keep it powered/stopped briefly, in which case you could probably do away with the track & connect it direct.”

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 9:30pm »

Yes I can read diagrams and the diagram shows a third wire, also looking at the dismantled unit there are three connectors and my unit has three wires connected. I assumed that the third wire had a function. The rattle I refer to is the plunger moving in and out. Looks as though the fault is within the unit. I will have another look. Many thanks for the advice.
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30th, 2010, 10:09pm »

Magno, on the wagon Connector C890 contact no. 2 is a holding line, bypassing the release relay from F22 fuse. Acc. to diagrans this contact is in use with central locking w/o CCM.

Once energised the motor through Relay K110 the slidercontact will grab the + line straight ftom F22 keeping the motort alive during its cycle.
Looked it up on the official TIS CD-ROM just now.

Apparantly contcat 2 is not used when teh car has Central Locking WITCH CCM and double-locking remote etc.  

Do you have a Tailgate/decklid anti-theft switch? In that case it is not driven by CCM and contact 2 is wired, see above.

In either case the fault points to a faulty or dirty copper rocker inside the motor which fails the lever to be reset to its startposition. The rocker travels along the copper slidecontactzones.

HTH
Ray

IP Logged
magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 7:16pm »

Many thanks again for the information. There is a contact on the tailgate lock which I presume is an anti theft device. Looking at the dismantled module above I see that there are three contacts on the slider also the lower contact appears to be worn. It is the same on my module and I thought that it may have been the cause of my problem, also there is a dead spot on the top slider which makes with this contact, it may or may not be significant. Do you know if the same unit is used on the saloon and any idea as to where I might pick one up.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 1st, 2010, 8:31pm »

The picture is of the one that was on my saloon (not that that necessarily means it was the right one). Mine does not have a wire to the centre track.
The effect of the worn contact & the pitted dead area is that it doesn’t break contact but I wouldn’t have thought that mattered as yours uses the centre track.

If you put a meter to the centre track and an outer one you should get no reading in the home position (the middle contact is on the plastic) as you push the plunger forward you should get a reading. The middle contact also acts as the guide and the contact will swivel as it travels along the guide, at the top of travel the contact will spring back to the plastic track as it passes the plastic guide at which point you should get no reading on the meter. Once power is cut to the motor the plunger will return with the centre contact on the plastic side of the plastic guide.

There are 2 springs on the swivelling contact, one to keep it in contact with the tracks, the other to return the contact to the central position – make sure this spring is hooked over both legs of the contact.

As it happens I looked at the one in the picture this morning, I took the contact off laid it on some lead and punched a fresh dome on the contact using a small domed punch from underneath (the lead has enough give to allow the punch to do it’s job without distorting the rest of the contact). The dead section I dug out the plastic and filled with araldite. This had the effect of breaking the contact, but unless the CCM recognises this as significant all that will happen is the plunger will chatter back and forth about the dead section until the power is cut.
IP Logged

magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:53pm »

I am away from home at the moment I will do some checking with a meter when I return and I will be back.
IP Logged
magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 9:20pm »

My apologies for the long delay in returning to the forum.
I finally got time to have another look at the module and discovered that two teeth were stripped from the white metal gear wheel that drives the ratchet. Should have spotted this before because when I opened the unit originally two pieces of metal fell out. Can anybody advise me as to where I might pick up one of these units as Scorpio are very scarce in Ireland. A damaged one would do as long as the white metal gear wheel was OK.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 2nd, 2011, 9:35pm »

I've seen 2 types, one where the wheels sit on steel posts (as in the picture above) and one where the wheels have pivots that that revolve in the holes in the case. The one in the picture has a steel pin fitted where a tooth was broken.
IP Logged

magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 3rd, 2011, 12:28pm »

Looking at the gear wheel the shaft or pivots appears to be part of the wheel and revolves in a recess in the housing.
The nylon gear wheel sits on a shaft.  
I cannot see where the steel pin was fitted was it a difficult job.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 1:41am »

Both the alloy gear & the nylon one in the picture above are hollow & mounted on a 2mm dia steel pin. If the pivots on yours are also 2mm then it’s quite likely they’re interchangeable.
I drilled a 1.2mm hole in the pinion & pushed in a slightly tapered 1.25mm hardened steel pin with some loctite.
Strictly speaking the tooth isn’t on the correct pitch circle but it’s good enough for this.

Probably your best bet is to request a boot lock motor in the wanted section.

IP Logged

magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 2:51pm »

Yours looks like a real professional job. I would guess that you have an interest in model engineering. I will try the car dismantlers and the wanted section first. If I do not succeed I will have a go at replacing the teeth however with two teeth missing it may not be a success.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 3:53pm »

It's worse than that, I'm a horologist Smiley
IP Logged

Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 10:50pm »

The clue is in the avatar...

IP Logged

Mike H
magnetono59

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Feb 7th, 2011, 8:37pm »

I finally sourced the tailgate motor within a mile of where I live. It belonged to a UK registered 1999 Ford Sierra estate and cost me the large sum of 10 Euro. I installed it and it worked so my Scorpio is complete once more. Many thanks for all the help.
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Feb 8th, 2011, 10:18am »

on Feb 7th, 2011, 8:37pm, magnetono59 wrote:
It belonged to a UK registered 1999 Ford Sierra estate

Someone had that hidden for a few years Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.