Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 9:27pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« UPDATE - Bizarre and weird starting problems - 24v »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   UPDATE - Bizarre and weird starting problems - 24v
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: UPDATE - Bizarre and weird starting problems - 24v  (Read 1513 times)
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

UPDATE - Bizarre and weird starting problems - 24v
« on: Jan 19th, 2011, 10:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Latest update.......... Also posted on mailing list

Following the advice received form both mailing list and 'problems' forum I began to systematically check various items last Saturday

When car in 'no starting mode' there was no spark. Battery disconnect restored it as car started OK.

Next item to check was crankshaft sensor and connector but as water still dripping off car put that on 'hold' and started checking wiring by ABS unit as suggested.

Found that power steering rubber pipe had just started to wear through loom black tape covering - about 2mm length of green wire just starting to show.
Checked with magnifying glass, but no sign of any visible wire.
Eased loom about 10mm so that I could tape wrap the effected area.

Car started OK but now I had.... both ABS and traction control lights on..... and TC switch on console had no effect extinguishing light.

I concluded that obviously the wiring loom was the source of problems.
Having been aware of loom problems from various site postings over the years, I've always avoided any unnecessary 'moving/flexing of wiring' since I've owned car apart from my initial securing of any loose & flapping wires after purchase.  

Started and stopped a couple of times but both lights still on.

Pretty depressed by then.... so just left car until Monday.
Car started OK but both lights still on.  
Drove about 4 miles and suddenly both lights went out.

Have done several trips (approx 100 miles) since then trying to generated DTC codes, but nothing except existing old PO138 sensor code. Not even any 'pending' codes

Car starts first time with no need for battery disconnects and runs fine. Just like it has done for past 5-6 years....

Looks like problem sorted for now but for how long Huh?? I've no idea.
Could be hours or years!! Hoping the latter......
I'll post any relevant updates as the problem which I have suffered may be experienced by others in the future

Not going to mess any further with it and just see how it goes.  
Not ideal solution but I know my limitations.

Given that all I've done over past 5-6 years is replace battery, steering rack and 2 cat sensors apart from 'wearable' service items ... totalling less than £450 ... I'm not inclined to start spending on wiring loom works.

I suppose that moral of the story is that in the event of bizarre and weird problems occurring the FIRST thing to do is check the wiring. Indeed, if the  weather had been dry I would have started messing / replaced crank sensor as a part of the elimination process; which in retrospect would have been futile.

In closing I am grateful for the information and knowledge which I have obtained from the site itself and of course the members of both the forums and mailing list.
Finally .......  
FAO SITE ADMIN.  
Could you please let me have the payee name and address so that I can make a donation to the site funds.
Will have to be cheque only as I don't use PayPal.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: UPDATE - Bizarre and weird starting problems -
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20th, 2011, 7:47am »

I Have sent you a PM with the details you require.

Cheers
Snoopy
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
The Rooster in the Scorpio.

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 8:17pm »

Hi to you all out there. I am getting E'mail notification of this problem,the more I look at it an see the use of WD40 the more I think that some of the issue are related to the use of it. Some of the problems may be coincidental to damp,maybe damp is causing the real issue to be masked.Now I don't want to teach Granddads & Grannies to suck eggs but WD40 was given the name after the trials to create a Water Displacement product succeeded on the 40th attempt.Hence the name WD40.
My experience from my Motorcycle Days was that WD40 was not the best product to use(quick short term fix;maybe) on several counts. Yes,it displaces water but it will also trap any damp that is already there. It evaporates with heat and leaves a brown stain that promotes tracking and bad signals. If used during the Summer when the engine bay is hot & good ambient temperatures prevail it is OK,until the Winter sets in.
My most reliable product in crappy weather on motorcycles but only after thorough cleaning of the affected areas/wires/connections of the looms etc was Duck Oil. Duck Oil sticks like the proverbial on a nappy,it is resistant to evaporation and does not wash off in the crappy conditions of motorcycle riding. This was even on un-faired machines.
I used it on my Ford Anglia 1200cc van & a string of Cortina models and my 3ltr Capri. Later it was used on my three 2.8 Grannie Estates.I spent a fortune on new HT leads,plugs etc,but the underlying problem was the damp that had made its' home in the multi connections of the snap & lock systems.
The original was Deb Duck Oil,I believe it is now available from Swarfega and others. It is in both spray and brush on. I used to by the tins of Duck Oil and decant into a garden hand spray rather than use aerosol sprays.
IP Logged

Big Fords with Big Lumps & an Automatic Transmission are for Easy Driving.
Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 10:13pm »

We must be from same era..... but different 'biking'
I've still got over 1/2 tin of  original Deb Duck oil and hand sprayer.
Only downside for Enduro racing was that Duck oil was "stickier" and picked up more dust and muck in dry conditions. However, when' half a welsh bog' hanging off the bike.... like a mudball on wheels... then difference not apparent.  
Never used anything on 24v so far... so cannot be anything to do with problem... but given my current position..... may as well try them if it 'plays up' again, as car MOT'd until mid July.
Unfortunately, due to using both mailing list and forums.... spreading the net as wide as possible.... some members; but not all; end up with double coverage.
I like the WD40 explaination...looks like Mr WD was not easily put off his first 39 failures. Pretty tenacious character....

IP Logged
The Rooster in the Scorpio.

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 21st, 2011, 11:23pm »

on Jan 21st, 2011, 10:13pm, david_molloy wrote:
We must be from same era..... but different 'biking'
I've still got over 1/2 tin of  original Deb Duck oil and hand sprayer.
Only downside for Enduro racing was that Duck oil was "stickier" and picked up more dust and muck in dry conditions. However, when' half a welsh bog' hanging off the bike.... like a mudball on wheels... then difference not apparent.  
Never used anything on 24v so far... so cannot be anything to do with problem... but given my current position..... may as well try them if it 'plays up' again, as car MOT'd until mid July.
Unfortunately, due to using both mailing list and forums.... spreading the net as wide as possible.... some members; but not all; end up with double coverage.
I like the WD40 explaination...looks like Mr WD was not easily put off his first 39 failures. Pretty tenacious character....

Hi David,I'm a September 1945 home on Christmas leave from TheWar baby. My Chinese birth sign is The Rooster (The Rooster in the Scorpio).I could not ride the older bikes,the Tiger Cub etc because of my short stature and the older wider bikes. Short legs(23&1/2" inside leg) spread wide don't touch the floor.I bought my 1st bike,a Honda 125cc Super Dream for my 40th birthday.then moved on to a VT250 & then VF400FD's. Wonderful days.
IP Logged

Big Fords with Big Lumps & an Automatic Transmission are for Easy Driving.
Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 22nd, 2011, 10:58pm »

Hello Rooster

Looks like we are getting off topic here.  
I think my trips down memory lane are responsible........

Just a bit younger. 1954 vintage.

Started with trials when I was 17 ... moved to enduros ...got married so "retired" ... got divorced so started Enduros again .. moved back to trials as safer.
A trials bike with low seat would suit you.... not an Enduro/MX as 33 inch seat height....tiptoes for me.

All the best

david
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 12:21pm »

I’ve not tried any of these products or the following retailer but worth a look.
http://www.flyingshop.com/searchresmanu.asp?manu=Lear%20Chemicals

You can get to the technical specs here:
http://www.learchem.com/products.html
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 5:03pm »

I've used ACF-50 to great effect on my Westfield's bare alloy panels - no signs of pitting or corrosion after 2 years.
IP Logged
david_molloy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2011, 4:53pm »

Thank you both for the info.
Will look into it further..... may be a solution to 'loom' problem.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.