Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 11:25am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Windscreen washer pressure delay »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Windscreen washer pressure delay
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Windscreen washer pressure delay  (Read 489 times)
ADroste

S-Type 2.7D SE 2008 replaced Scorpio 2.3 Ult.1998

View Profile Email

Windscreen washer pressure delay
« on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 10:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I read the topics on washers not working properly. However I have not find a problem description similar to mine.

My Ultima 2.3 Saloon Facelift is equipped with windscreen and headlamp washers. When pressing the washer switch, it takes some time for the spray to come. Sometimes even several attempts are necessary to achive high pressure spray. The delay is dependant on Headlights on or off, which is explainable with the increasing jet capacity during activation.

What I do not understand is, why there is no pressure instantaneously in the moment of button press.

The Fords I drove in the 70ths and 80ths always had one way valves in the washer pipes to prevent the water column to retract to the reservoir. So the jets started spraying immediately. I'm not sure if the Scorp has such valves also. If yes, what does prevent them to work as expected?

Someone, I think it was GOZZ, wrote that the Scorp with Headlight Cleaning had two pumps? May it happen that Ford eliminated one on the 2.3 Facelift to save costs?

Regards
Armin
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

Re: Windscreen washer pressure delay
« Reply #1 on: Feb 4th, 2011, 8:04am »

Armin.
I would not think that one pump would be satisfactory for both systems,it seems odd that the headlights affect the windscreen,in fact it doesn't seem feasible.There is a little non return valve in the pipe to the screen I believe,Simmo mentioned it in a previous post,he may enlighten you.Another problem of course is the filter in the pump outlet getting gunged up and restricting flow,however your problem does sound like a drain back.
      GOZZ.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Windscreen washer pressure delay
« Reply #2 on: Feb 4th, 2011, 8:53am »

Gozz is correct. I did find a non return valve in my windscreen wiper tubing. It was located a short way from the pump and appeared to be simply a joining piece. However on removing it I found that it was indeed a tiny valve. I simply replaced it with a joining piece and have had no problems since. He is also right....of course Cheesy.... when he says that the pump itself can get clogged with slime. If you pull the pump out,complete with the rubber grommet which holds it in place, you will see that the 'grommet' has a fine mesh to stop debris entering the pump body. This mesh can get totally covered and thus prevent sufficient or any water getting to the system. I suggest you pull the pump out and check the 'filter'.  Smiley You'll also see if there are two pumps.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.