Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 10:22pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Water coming in! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Water coming in!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Water coming in!  (Read 1489 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Water coming in!
« on: Feb 19th, 2011, 9:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Both sides front floor soaked!i rebuilt my 2-3 with a new head last month, been ill since, perked up a bit today, thought i'd run the car before mot next week, and the floors are all wet, even a bit of mould set in, definately not from the heater, will the battery tray come out?think i need to have a look underneath it, and the plastic grill over the wipers, the drain tubes are clear, any advice please?cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Water coming in!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 7:39am »

How to access the battery is shown Here .The most likely cause is the area of the passenger side fusebox. There is a large grommet which carries the cables through the bulkhead and if it is not correctly fitted, and the battery side drain holes are blocked, water will enter the car.  
The wiper grill removal details are shown Here.
This page which shows how to access the CCM,behind the glovebox, may also help. If water has got in via this grommet it will have run over this unit. Not good!!. Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 20th, 2011, 7:55pm »

Thanks Simmo, is the grommet, behind the fusebox (pointing at the passengers head,) or underneath it?  please, i ask this as i think i may have seen a fusebox out of a scorpio once! does it have a tube pointing towards the back of the car? Ta
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 21st, 2011, 7:23am »

The grommet is behind the box in the vertical section of the bulkhead. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 26th, 2011, 7:10pm »

Thanks again Simmo, i found the problem, The water is getting in through the door seals, leaving a water trail at the bottom of the door  into the carpet, but i think it starts higher up! i guess that is better than a grommet!
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 8:21am »

Depending on what you have already found have you checked the door itself?. If you remove the door 'card' Here there should be a plastic membrane covering all the holes and if that has been opened up water can get in that way. Take care as the mastic which holds the plastic to the metal is very sticky !!. The other thing to check is the underside of the door and make sure the drain holes are clear. Also check the sunroof drain holes by pushing a piece of flexible curtain wire, electrical cable or similar down each one.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 11:35am »

That's a possibility, sunroof. Doesn't need to be leaky, can get quite a lot of condensation. Which is what I think the drains are mostly for.

IP Logged

Mike H
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 12:18pm »

Thanks for replies guys, sadly my 2-3 has no sunroof, (part of the reason i bought the 24v) i do miss it,i'm going to have a look at the door next, having sealed all round the door rubber where it fits on. fingers crossed it passes mot tomorow, affter fitting a new head,etc.
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 12:52pm »

Leave the door card off and get someone to spray water on the window & see if you can see any water getting past the plastic membrane.  
Window seals always leak, it’s more important to make sure the water gets out the drains rather than worry about it getting into the door.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 1:01pm »

Thanks Tompion, i just put door card back on again. it has never been off before, completley as new, but what i did notice was the red blank plate on that door is missing, i can see into the bottom of the door from there, with torch. and all looks very dry, i will make up another blank plate for that, it's raining yet again now, so will see later, i,m fed up with permanently misted windows,
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.