Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 4:16pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Resetting my onboard computer. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Resetting my onboard computer.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Resetting my onboard computer.  (Read 4079 times)
The Rooster in the Scorpio.

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Resetting my onboard computer.
« on: Mar 18th, 2011, 1:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi to you all out there. The Gremlins have attacked again.
I cannot reset the OBC it is refusing to change from kilometre values but the temperature reading is still in *C as I always have it set to.
Just before it reverted to kilometres etc the dash panel readouts had a fit and dials flew round then settled before firing up.
A few days earlier the battery would not fire up the car but there was still life in it,to many short journey demands and left for several days whilst I topped up my Adrenalin in the 1997 Volvo V70 T5 Auto. It was kicked into life by my Home Start Rescue Man and everything was fine and remained so for several days and then the OBC problem occurred.
IP Logged

Big Fords with Big Lumps & an Automatic Transmission are for Easy Driving.
Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

Re: Resetting my onboard computer.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 1:32pm »

Sounds like the switches need a clean, they are just copper contacts and can become tarnished

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/tripswitch.htm

the low battery voltage will have caused the reset to metric, is the battery condition ok? just the short trips the problem you reckon?

IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 1:46pm »

on Mar 18th, 2011, 1:32pm, Highlander wrote:
Sounds like the switches need a clean, they are just copper contacts and can become tarnished

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/tripswitch.htm

the low battery voltage will have caused the reset to metric, is the battery condition ok? just the short trips the problem you reckon?

Hi Stuart.Thank you for your quick reply. I will extract the switch later. I will also ring my local Auto Electrical Engineer after his lunch time is over(a friend of many years) and get him to do a Battery Check Over for me. Which should show up any problems including an Alternator Health Check.
IP Logged

Life is often cut short,use it to the full each day.Eat well & healthy. It is a Ballgame of Numbers,keep yours in the air.

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 18th, 2011, 5:50pm »

Hi again Stuart & to you all. Yes the battery has given up the ghost,enough life to use for the next few days but not good enough to leave the car not started for any more than overnight. There is a new one on the way,it should be available on Monday/Tuesday.
An On-board Computer switch removal & clean is next. Model railway Electro Clean and a well worn toothbrush.
IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 9:37am »

Hello again to the "Help Crew". I have had a new Varta D59 battery fitted (round posts converted to flat with a Ford conversion kit).
The On-board Computer will not change display values from kilometres to miles but the temperature is in *C and remains in that mode !!!!!!!!!??.
I have had the switch out of the car and cleaned it as best as I can,taking it to bits does not look an option.
Is there something deeper into the electrics than the little switch block that is duff?.
IP Logged

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 10:09am »

Try pressing the S & R buttons together

Tony
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 12:51pm »

Hi Tony. That does not correct the problem either.
Incidentally,this car has a number of other inexplicable Electrical Gremlins.
IP Logged

Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 1:45pm »

Must be the switch itself, maybe try sourcing another one?

What sort of gremlins do you have? we know most of them Grin
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 7:43pm »

Rooster

If I am correct you reside in Upholland, I will be in Skelmersdale tomorrow morning. If you like, meet me on The Concourse car park (the one by the swimming pool not the multi storey) between 08-15 and 08-30 and I will see if I can help. I am a million miles behind Highlander in expertise but I have successfully reset my computer several times. I may or may not have "the knack". Look out for a white Cosworth.

However if you dont reside in Upholland then forget this post Smiley

Tony
IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 7:53pm »

Hi Tony.Pensioners are entitled to a late rise on a Saturday morning but how could I turn down your generous offer. I assume that you mean a Scorpio Cossie!!, or is it a Sierra Cossie?. In any event I will be there.

Regards, John.
IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 8:07pm »

on Mar 25th, 2011, 1:45pm, Highlander wrote:
Must be the switch itself, maybe try sourcing another one?

What sort of gremlins do you have? we know most of them Grin

Hi Stuart. I looked and pondered over a switch on E'bay about 3weeks ago,SODS LAW. There is a guy in Southport that is a Scorpio Breaker,I will give him a ring. I picked up a pair of headlights from him to stash away only about three weeks ago as well.  
The Gremlins are the ones that I have given mention to before. The water temp' gauge is the most annoying,the air bag flicker is at rest at present,shhhhhhhhhh. I have changed the seat memory switch block but that system has a mind of its own,positions 2&3 are fine but 1 is iffy. The block that was on the car was intermittent on all three positions.
Hey Ho,all for a lovely ride and loads of room in the back load deck;when flattened.
IP Logged

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 8:26pm »

IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25th, 2011, 9:03pm »

on Mar 25th, 2011, 8:26pm, Tenfut wrote:

NIIIIIIIIIIIICE one Tony. The roof works as well !!!!!!!!!.
IP Logged

Baz

S Reg. 1998 24v Cosworth S2.9 COS (Deceased)

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 26th, 2011, 9:37am »

I think those wheels really set it off too Tony!! Grin
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #14 on: Mar 30th, 2011, 11:29am »

Is smart I must say, they do look nice in white
IP Logged

Mike H
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 1st, 2011, 7:11am »

Hi all.  

The trip computer is a typical aging & oxydation problem. Take utmost care when removing AND opening the siwtch assy: it contains 3 tiny springs which will pop out & disappear for ever if you are not careful.

When opened, replace LED lamps also.
Here's a very useful MUST read:  http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/tripswitch.htm

Read this TOO, chapter 12.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/instreset.htm

This test checks the fuel computer button resistance inputs and loom connections. Each number represents a range value for each single button pressed.
255              No button pressed

208 to 241  MODE only pressed

38 to 56      S only pressed

158 to 185  R only pressed.

If the display shows 255 when any button is pressed a wiring fault is indicated, or the button contacts inside the fuel computer may be dirty and require cleaning.

if the display shows a number less than 38 when any button is pressed this indicates a wiring fault.

The "wiring fault in most cases is due to contact resistance at the back of the instrument cluster.  
Ïn a LHD you can just about remove the fascia by pulling lowering the wheel; then take the cluster out and clean all backside connectors + multiplugs with Kontakt 60, 61 and WL.  

While at it you might also clean its windowscreen.

While at it replace all bulbs, I think there are 3 types needed; FORD does not always stock them anymore.

HTH
Ray

IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Apr 1st, 2011, 8:30am »

Hi Ray. Thank you for your informative input,some of which I have gleaned since discovering the problem and since Tony came over and we met up. He swapped his switch & confirmed that mine was duff after an initial contact clean with an Electrical Contact Cleaner from Halfords.
I am awaiting another Walnut Dash Trim (a local one off E,bay was damaged). At some point in the past my car has had it removed;damaged and bonded back in.
I intend to do a replacement of all available bulbs etc when I get the Walnut Dash Trim.  
What would be a realistic time scale from start to finish in the removal and replacement of the bulbs & clean out etc and refitting the unit ready to fire-up?. I don't want to find that I leave a half done job and have to put it back,only to have to dismantle again.
IP Logged

Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 1st, 2011, 9:06am »

Hi John,

I am an electronics engineer... so mechanical actions bother me sometimes... so removing the fascia w/o having to take off the wheel was a hassle at first... not aftre the second time though, then it's a trick but I would say in a LHD the dismount/mountjob would be 2x half an hour.

The electronics bit, serrvicing the cluster i.e. cleaning all backside connectors  + spraying, cleaning and preserving the now dangling multiplugs + replacing & testing (!) bulbs cost me one hour.

Getting the proper bulbs from FORD Cologne and an old dealer's warheouse took me a week!

Types can be found here but doublecheck with FORD's MicroCat:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/fasciabulbs.htm

HTH
Ray
IP Logged

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Apr 1st, 2011, 10:08am »

Hi Ray. Thank you again. I am in the process of trying to obtain bulbs & a few other behind instrument panel items from my local Ford Dealership (Gordons of Wigan).
As a point of interest the heated front screen switch is £27.74p + VAT & the On-board computer swith is £46.58p + VAT. The UK stock is apparently held in Daventry and next day delivery to the dealership.
This exercise is looking more like a "next time I am snowed in and can't us the car project" once I have gained the available bits etc.
IP Logged

Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Apr 1st, 2011, 10:28am »

Good!  Once you are behind the fascia do inspect the heating hoses and connecting flanges as they may leak and cause dust etc. to settle on the connectors again.

HTH
Ray
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.