Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:16am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Seat Failure! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Seat Failure!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Seat Failure!  (Read 1297 times)
Aguc

SuckSqueezeBang Blow~ the bigger the better!

View Profile Email

Seat Failure!
« on: May 16th, 2011, 12:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Decided to take a snooze …so I pressed memory preset 3 and down the seat goes into snooze mode zzzzzzZZZZZZZ….snooze over I pressed memory preset 1 to restore the seat to driving position but all that happened was the seat squab  moved forward but the backrest remained fully reclined.  Using the manual buttons  ….all the commands respond EXCEPT raise the back rest…..even lower the backrest still works curiously!  
 After checking the forum I see “Nickaprillia” has had this symptom to wit “Pauldo” suggests the seat module to be the culprit.  Armed with this knowledge I removed the seat module and checked the 3 multiplugs visually for faults  (bends or corrosion) to no avail. I removed the casing from the seat module and examined the  PC board with a jewellers eye piece looking for a broken track, dry joint or burnt component…again to no avail. So I restored all the components hoping that I may have cured  a poor connection just  by  reassembly.
The result of  all this ……is that  NONE of the  command buttons work now , yet the passenger seat command buttons remain fully functional. So concluding that my intervention  had some effect although negative I removed the seat to get a better look  at the loom works and multiplugs. I could not find any visual faults in the multiplugs or  loom. I reassembled it all again and still nothing works except the passenger seat!.  Questions…Does the passenger seat have a separate  seat  module?
            Could the memory switch block be at fault?
            Is there a wiring diagram available ?
            Can I restore the backrest by intervention with an
        alternative power supply via a multiplug…if so how?

Any knowledge much appreciated!!!
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Seat Failure!
« Reply #1 on: May 16th, 2011, 1:11am »

Wiring diagrams are:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=admin;action=dis play;num=1268901956
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: May 16th, 2011, 9:02am »

Can you identify the backrest motor and power it up with wires from the battery ? as an interim emergency measure of course !
               GOZZ.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: May 16th, 2011, 9:40pm »

If it is the backrest motor that has gone, I've just removed one from my old seat.  Lee
IP Logged
pauldo

1998 GREEN 2.3 ULTIMA SALOON

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2011, 10:37pm »

Often failures in electronic components are not visually obvious  and unfortunately it sounds as if you have caused further damage when you opened up the module. I would recommend that you source yourself another unit as this is the only solution to your original problem. Paul
IP Logged

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions
malcolm

1998 2.3 ULTIMA ESTATE

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: May 22nd, 2011, 11:30am »

Well this must be a common fault i reclined my seat at a local beauty spot 2 weeks ago and it would not go back up all the other functions worked including further reclining.I had to drive home with the seat reclined i removed the front fixings on the seat and with the help of wiring diagrams i downloaded some time ago i found the connector for the the backrest. I applied 12volt to this directly to get the seat back in an upright position.I had a quick check of the seat module but could not see anything wrong so i have left the backrest motor disconnected.The seat would not raise with the memory button either so i think the module must be at fault. Malcolm
IP Logged
pauldo

1998 GREEN 2.3 ULTIMA SALOON

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: May 22nd, 2011, 10:01pm »

I have fitted 3 of these modules in the last 5 years.They are getting very hard to find in scrapyards now so i have fitted a good one and left the plugs out once i had set the seat for me as no one else drives my car. Except for my (short) local MOT tester who has to sit on 2 cushions to reach the pedals
IP Logged

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions
Aguc

SuckSqueezeBang Blow~ the bigger the better!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: May 24th, 2011, 12:18am »

Its taken a week and a 2 hundred mile round trip to source a seat module. However the replacement module has done the trick! Thanks all for advice and offers!
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 27th, 2011, 5:20pm »

Congratulations.

That's the thing with transistors,  when they go, they go. Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.