Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 12:25am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Computer/revs problem. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Computer/revs problem.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Computer/revs problem.  (Read 773 times)
El_Nunnzio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Computer/revs problem.
« on: Jul 6th, 2011, 12:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all, first time posting, but you may know of me through my dad (nunnspoet).  

I've heard many good things about your advice and help on this forum, so I hope you can help me.  

I was recently stuck in a traffic jam in my Ford Scorpio 2.9 12V automatic, on the motorway for over 2 hours, during which time the car started to get very hot, and problems begun.  

I noticed that the digital readout for the odometer had frozen, as well as the current trip distance and all other readouts from the computer apart from the outside temperature reading. In addition to this the speedo needle stopped working, having to rely upon the revs to judge speed  Cry .  

This brings me onto the final problem, the revs. When finally leaving the traffic jam, the car stalled, but started back up fine, however the revs kept dropping out as soon as I took my foot off the throttle, almost causing the car to stall a number of times. The car usually recovers by itself, stutters but continues driving, however it has caused the car to cut out at least 3 times.  
All of these issues combined to make the remainder of the journey, very interesting, but fortunately only had a short distance left to travel.  

My dad and I have run an OBD reader, but may have done this incorrectly and are still very unsure as to what the problems are!  

Any insight anyone may have on these problems would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance.  

James
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Computer/revs problem.
« Reply #1 on: Jul 7th, 2011, 8:32am »

The 12v is NOT OBD compliant it uses the older star reader system.

The speedo NOT working is most likely due to a failure of the VSS which supplies information to the ECU about speed and controls various functions associated with speed. one of them being the radio volume increase.
I would be looking at the possibility of some of the vacum pipes having failed if it keeps stalling.  
The 12v uses old technology and is not as advanced as the later versions of the car.
They are usually very reliable and hard workers check the VSS on the side of the gearbox which can be done by turning on the radio and setting the speed volume to maximum and listen and see if it works but from the symptoms it does sound as though it has failed.
They are relatively easy to fix
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
El_Nunnzio

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Computer/revs problem.
« Reply #2 on: Jul 7th, 2011, 6:06pm »

Thank you very much for your help Snoopy!  
Switched the VSS from my car with the VSS from a 'scrapper' we have which we knew to have a working one, took the car for a drive and everything is back and working well.  

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.