Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 12:13am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Steering rack problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Steering rack problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Steering rack problem  (Read 567 times)
Alpha99

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Steering rack problem
« on: Aug 25th, 2011, 11:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello. I bought a Ford Scorpio 8 mounts ago and after that I observed that the power steering fluid level is low, so I completed it. But after each ride the fluid was low again so I inspected all the related hoses but no leakage. The leakage is on the right side of steering rack, at the end. Now besides the fact that I leave an oil spot on every parking i stay, the steering wheel started to be hard to operate and is not coming back after the corners and there is a noise when i am steering left at low speed (I guess it is stronger if I apply brake in the same time, but maybe it`s just paranoia).  
I`ve seen some steering rack repair kits on the internet, with seals and stuff (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Edelmann-8528-Power-Steering-Repair-Kit-/ 350481291115?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519a50176b) like this one but I was  unable to find particularly for Scorpio `95. I guess that some of this ones may be compatible but i don`t know with one. So could some of you tell e if exist this possibility? I know that is complicated to change thing on a steering rack, but is more cost efficient and I will take my chances with it. The worst case scenario will be to damage it for good and lose 50 dollars. I can leave with that, I need a new one anyway.
I also searched my local scrapyard for a Scorpio, but they have ANY KIND OF FORD but SCORPIO. So my question is: Could i find a compatible steering rack on another type of ford>? Like fiesta `94, `95....2000 or focus, or fusion, anything.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Steering rack problem
« Reply #1 on: Aug 25th, 2011, 11:15pm »

Just buy a recon steering rack - £100 from Kelly Bray

http://www.kellybraysteering.co.uk/pages/scorpio_24017.cfm

That's for a speed sens rack but if you call them they can do one withou speed sens.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Steering rack problem
« Reply #2 on: Aug 26th, 2011, 7:20am »

The is NO future in trying to repair the rack. Either get one from a member on here, try parts for sale/wanted or as suggested above. If you get under the car and squeeze the steering rack gaiters one or both will be full of fluid. They will hold a fair amount and will eventually burst!.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.