Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 7:26am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« misfiring badly at 50 mph »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   misfiring badly at 50 mph
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: misfiring badly at 50 mph  (Read 7332 times)
pedropedro

View Profile

Re: misfiring badly at 50 mph
« Reply #40 on: Oct 5th, 2011, 6:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

ive just done a run with vehicle explorer  obd and something odd coming up when i play back..maf figures are ok at beginning ie  .4  .7  etc then jumps to a reading of 4.9  7.2   then 11.1 intermitently  ....shouldnt it run smoothly up to  a max of maybe 1.2  at high revs ?    if i am right wonder whats  giving the high readings  ...new maf unit ...that expains why it runs ok when i disconnect maybe....maybe ecu is at fault any thoughts  

or would you expect to see readings of 4.0 or higher at high acceleration??
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #41 on: Oct 6th, 2011, 3:02pm »

The plot thickens!

I don't think so see this page:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/mafdata.htm

According that accepted range is 0 - 4.75V, personally I think it's still dodgy wiring or connectors, looks like 12V is jumping in from somewhere intermittently so may be a short somewhere or damp. Or could be the MAF sensor ground lead is going O/C. This is brand new MAF sensor so shouldn't be anything wrong with that.

There's 4 wires to the MAF, I think 2 are for the heater element and the other 2 are the thermistor part.
IP Logged

Mike H
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #42 on: Oct 6th, 2011, 4:32pm »

well it must have 12v on the supply to the maf although output seems to be up to 5v or so......the ground measures 8r  to battery which i guess is ok ish would expect to be zero need look at circuit and see where its grounded
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #43 on: Oct 6th, 2011, 6:34pm »

You might have to examine the wires from end to end, see what state they're in. Dodgy plug connector on the PCM box is another possbility (this happened to someone else just recently, was it the 24V that conked out and wouldn't restart from April?)

IP Logged

Mike H
Cosray

8th Scorpio, 2nd Cosworth: currently '95

View Profile Email

« Reply #44 on: Oct 6th, 2011, 9:05pm »

Hi John,

your ground resistance measured from MAF connector pin 3/Black to battery NEG pole must be a solid near-zero ohms on a Ohmsmeter in the 10 or max 100 ohms range.  

In an LHD the G10 ground distribution point sits next to the battery on the engine bulkhead -RHD may be different.

If this point is rusty or oxidised it might create the funny values you are recording on the signalwires, making things go haywire.

Try locating the crowded G10 point and wiggle it to see if the connection is "floating" and make your Ohms values fluctuate.

Connector pin 5 is straight to the batt PLUS 12V on the Battreyr junction box C621 to Fuse F37, acc. to diagrams.

Pin 1 & 2 signalwires lead to the PCM/EEC-V pins 36 & 88.  

Might be wise to inspect/cleanspray the big ECU multiplug as well and measure connectivity since cases of water intrusion have been reported. It sits under/behind the glovecompartment lid (remove) and can be retracted after removing one security rivet.

HTH
Ray

IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #45 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 7:35am »

Hello Ray

thanks for that ..will work on that and figure why the ground  is not zero

rgds john
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #46 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 12:27pm »

Note also for a real chance of measuring very low resistances your meter probe tips must be absolutely clean and points of contact absolutely clean, double-check first that you can get a true zero between the probes themselves. (Analogue meters have a zero adjust, DMM's don't.) Aerosol switch contact cleaner is very useful in these cases.

IP Logged

Mike H
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #47 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 3:13pm »

Ok ground ok.......drove 100 miles today...with maf connected jerky lumpy and fuel consumption at steady 70 mph level ground was 25mpg...pulled  maf  pefectly smooth engine and consumption went  to 38 mpg....when checking maf stationary looks fine on ve obd2 ....i am at a loss where to go now...it runs perfectly without maf so thats how i guess will have to run it without maf  a mystery
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #48 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 3:30pm »

.... hmnmmm not encouraging... generally not employing the MAF should make things worse, not better...  

1)  ...do you still get this unusual 12V reading where 4,7V should be the max.? Pls confirm -  

That would explain why things are better w/o MAF .

If so, following this reasoning, knowing your MAF is new AND assuming it's 100% THEN somewhere in the loom there's a voltage leak between some wires with brittle isolation and some humidity... not uncommon  Sad

So IF this voltage leak is supposed to originate in the loom then you should be able to measure its presence (with a high resistance Voltmeter)  
at the MAF connector, at either pin 1 or 2 towards the EEC-V (since ground 3 nor 12V line 5 would be affected by leaks)  
with KEY ON and Engine running.

2)  How did you measure the zero-Ohms-ground?  
I do hope between MAF connector pin 3 and Batt NEG pole? (thereby including discovery of a bad G10 Ground distribution) with
Key ON engine running NO MAF?

What do you think?
Ray
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #49 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 3:36pm »

Ray...where in the loom are there likely to be breaks ?  ive had a fuel shut off loom fitted 12 mths ago...i will do a run with obd hooked up again.....yesterday i got some 11v and 7v readings so will work in that area..rgds john
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #50 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:06pm »

on Oct 7th, 2011, 3:36pm, pedropedro wrote:
Ray...where in the loom are there likely to be breaks ?  

... impossible to say... with the 2.3 I am not sure... the usual suspect locations are close to Heat - causing isolation to brittle, come loose and cause crossleaks between arbitrary wires/strands... also looms affected by cooling lquid and oil... and heat.

Over the top of the engine toward autobox, front of the engine, exhaust shield side of the engine are the worst sites.

HTH
Ray
IP Logged
rich170361

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #51 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:19pm »

I might be wrong I had a problem a bit like this on my cossie ultima changed the fuel pressure regulator has run fine ever since.
IP Logged
Cosray

View Profile Email

« Reply #52 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:21pm »

Hi rich that's very plausible however it does not explain away the erratic MAF behaviour I am afraid...

Ray
IP Logged
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #53 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:32pm »

ive just run another scorpio with obd2 and the maf readings are the same as my one...ie accelerated hard up to 2700 rpm and maf reading went up to 8.7 on the the graph ..so despite the data page showing it going to 4.5 or so it seems it goes much higher....so i think red herring ...so now have to figure why it is lumpy at 50-60 with the maf plugged in and why fuel consumption doubles....beyond me for sure .....john
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #54 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:33pm »

Circuit diagram here, page 20

https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=eb36f845ea9b8fb6&id=EB36F845EA9B8FB6% 21146#

Seems MAF has electronics inside and uses +12V from fuse 37. Ground is via 'ground distribution, G10' which seems common to engine / transmission management, VSS etc. 2 separate wires go to PCM only brown/blue & white/blue.

Have you looked at the actual PCM yet? Maybe water's got in and is messing with the plug block connections? The higher Voltage could be bridging across from another pin like Ray says, I still suspect something of that sort as well. Leccy gremlins!

IP Logged

Mike H
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #55 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:39pm »

on Oct 7th, 2011, 4:32pm, pedropedro wrote:
....so i think red herring ...so now have to figure why it is lumpy at 50-60 with the maf plugged in and why fuel consumption doubles....beyond me for sure .....john

OK so boils down to what's the difference between closed loop & open loop fuelling, or, what else is not being used for open loop mode (?)

EGR is one I believe....

IP Logged

Mike H
pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #56 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:40pm »

not convinced when maf disconnected goes to open loop...the lamdas still switch and seems to stay in closed loop
IP Logged
Highlander
Expert

13 Scorpios, XR4x4, Suzuki SJ413 for off road :)

View Profile Email

« Reply #57 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:47pm »

New MAF faulty?

Is the other Scorpio a 2.3? can you swap them temporarily?
IP Logged

on Oct 17th, 2011, 12:35pm, Simmo wrote:
I give up ! Roll Eyes Too much for an old boy!  Huh

pedropedro

View Profile

« Reply #58 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:53pm »

ive done exactly that  pulled that one and exchanged no difference

i have x1 new ,  x1 from the other scorp  and x2 others (x1 you sent me some while ago)  all do the same thing......dont think its the maf !   so why does it run perfectly and fuel consumption low when maf pulled...the data readings i am convinced are fine........if it were a wiring short that would have produced symptoms with maf unplugged ?   confused
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #59 on: Oct 7th, 2011, 4:55pm »

I'm only going by what I read on here, unless I remember it wrong, but something is different +MAF vs –MAF.

Ah this is the page:

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/maftest.htm

IP Logged

Mike H
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.