Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 8th, 2024, 3:28am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v non starter. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v non starter.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v non starter.  (Read 1019 times)
Steve_Rose

P Reg 24v Ghia X Facelifted.   R Reg 24v Ultima

View Profile Email

24v non starter.
« on: Dec 5th, 2011, 8:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all. Back in bother again Huh. It appears I have had a slight water leak from 1 of the return to header tank  hoses which has been spraying the electrics unbeknown to me at the time. The first I knew of this was the engine starting to cough and the rev counter flicking backwards and forwards before coming to a stop and some steam coming from the leaking hose. The car has not run since. This was about 5 days ago.  
 On trying to start the engine will turn over then seem to lock up for a second then free off. It seems to want to fire but never does. I wired up a seperate switch to just turn the engine over to build up oil pressure a while ago to eliminate the timing chain rattle (works a treat too). When I press the switch the engine spins freely so can't be a mechanical problem.  
 I had hoped that if any water had got where it shoul'nt have it would have now dried out in the safety of a dry garage. Can anyone please help as I'm at my wits end again.  
Thanks in anticipation Wink. Steve.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: 24v non starter.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6th, 2011, 9:06am »

Antifreeze getting in the engine loom will cause havoc, but you need to start with basics, is there fuel pressure, is there a spark at the end of the HT leads, is there compression, check the plugs are they wet with fuel, oh and dont forget that you will need a fully charged battery.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Steve_Rose

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 6th, 2011, 6:14pm »

Hi Martin. Yes got a spark at the plugs and they are very wet. Compression is ok. I checked the battery on the tester in the workshop. Thats all ok. Checked all the usual wiring hot spots, i.e. the 2 main multi plugs and all the visable plugs and connectors. These had already been sprayed with protective coatings and are all ok as far as I can see.
IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 7th, 2011, 9:08am »

You have not metioned compressions. fuel, compression & spark are the basics.

Plugs could be wet due to injectors continuely injecting, back to wiring loom, you just need a short to earth in the wrong place. A BOB with a good loom up the 'V' is a rare beast.
you say you have spark, so crank sensor is working, that in turn provides injector pluse which is phased by the cam sensor.
Stay with the basics, which must all be in place befor it will start.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Steve_Rose

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2011, 6:29pm »

Will have a go at checking the fuel pressure tom. Have already replaced most of the V loom on a previous adventure as all the insulation had dropped off so will check the rest. A mechanic friend says he thinks the fuel timing sounds to be out due to the way it tries to fire then locks up and the plugs being wet which could be caused by, as you say, faulty wiring which could upset the ECU etc.
IP Logged
Steve_Rose

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2011, 9:27am »

Well I'm sorry to report the car now seems to be terminal. The wiring loom is shot. The insulation has just turned to dust and there are shorts everywhere. Would have lovingly spent time re-wiring it all but have been told to remove it from the workshop as they all of a sudden need the space. So at the moment it looks a bit bleak for poor old the old cossie  Cry as I have nowhere else to park it. Thanks for the info Martin. Very grateful.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10th, 2011, 9:39am »

Is it the space problem that's stopping you Steve ?  I've got a reconstituted 24v engine loom wrapped in aluminium tape for heat resistance,it's still on the car but the heads have gone,so it just needs disconnecting from the transmission.
             GOZZ.
IP Logged
Steve_Rose

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 10th, 2011, 9:51am »

Hi Gozz. Thats the main reason. Would you believe it. Have just this minute had a call from my father inlaw.I'm off the see him today to see if I can store it in the back of his garage till the new year. He has a tripple garage so am hopeful. Other thing is my misses is having a blumming baby on wed. Damm inconsiderte timing int it. So if all goes well can I give you a call in a couple of weeks and how much do you want for it. And thanks.
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10th, 2011, 9:59am »

Pesky women,always sproggin at inconvenient times  Roll Eyes I'll keep the loom for you until you are ready,it wont cost you much,a lot less than a pram anyway  Cool.
        GOZZ.
IP Logged
Steve_Rose

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 10th, 2012, 9:26pm »

Hi Gozz. Sorry pal, Don't think I'll be needing the wiring loom. Not only did I loose the parking space at work I also lost the job. Got made redundant. Been told I have to get rid of the car now by the better half so looks like a spares or repair listing on ebay quite soon  Cry. Dam shame cos its a lovely car.
Thanks for all the help and advise. As the saying goes - I'll be back. ( 1 day I hope )

Steve
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 10th, 2012, 10:08pm »

C'est la vie  Sad best laid plans eh ?
       Good luck
          GOZZ.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.