Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 7th, 2024, 7:23pm

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ABS/TCS rolling test fail »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ABS/TCS rolling test fail
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABS/TCS rolling test fail  (Read 3504 times)
mk1boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

ABS/TCS rolling test fail
« on: Dec 29th, 2011, 9:59am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, My ABS/TCS lights go out when I start the car but come on when I start driving. I suspected the rear wheel sensors so removed and cleaned them and everything was fine for a day or so, then the lights started coming on again.  I removed the sensors again and cleaned them (although they looked ok) but it made no difference this time.  I checked the sensor connectors under the rear seat and they were ok. A friend suggested that the sensing ring needed cleaning and that I should poke a jet washer through the sensor hole and give them a blast - I really don't think thats a good idea but he tells me he did it on his some years ago.  I have searched the threads on the forum but can't really fiind the answer - any ideas, please?
thanks
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: ABS/TCS rolling test fail
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 10:56am »

Don't do the 'Jet-washer' thing!   If you suspect the sensor ring then simply remove the sensor and take plenty of time scraping a suitably sized screw-driver that has a strong tip over each individual spline.   It takes time but could answer your problem.   When I changed my rear bearings, you can push the axle-shaft in enough to get a thin wire-brush onto the ring and give it a good clean.   If it's a greasy mess that is on the ring, consider the seal on the bearing gone and this may be the start of the failing of the bearing.   My problem with the ABS was the front connection on the off-side against the inner wing by the front-strut.   Even though the connection was looking ok, the inside was corroded quite badly and the wires had broken away.   I made-up a new connector and soldered the wires in.   There is somewhere on this site a diagram of the connecting plug to the ABS unit, this diagram shows you what pins in the connector to check for resistance, and what those pins represent in terms of the ABS sensors.   It's a very easy well explained task, and will instantly tell you which sensor is the problem.   Unfortunately you'll need to wait for one of the guys that knows where this info is, to pop up a link for you.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 1:21pm »

I always suggest cleaning the two connectors under the front wings and sealing them with silicone grease after cleaning. My abs used to fail on the odd occasion but it was cleared after cleaning both these plugs. The nearside one always looked the worse and it was something I did on a 6 monthly basis.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 1:31pm »

The pin out diagrams are easily located as there is a link on all Tompions' posts.  Wink Here.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mk1boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 3:48pm »

thanks guys - I have just cleaned the sensor rings with a screwdriver as suggested - no change Cry.  They weren't that dirty but I gave it a try anyway.
Next job will be the front wheel sensor connectors.  I had thought that as I had temporarily solved the problem by cleaning the rear sensors that it must be them.  I didnt realise the TCS light would come on if the fronts were dodgy.  I will give it a try at the weekend - too dark/cold/rainy now.
I couldn't locate the pin out diagram via the link - is it available elsewhere?
cheers
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 4:16pm »

At the bottom of Tomp's posts aye, all of them!   You'll see below the line ABS Mk4 or Mk20, click on the relevant model for your car.   You'll get the continuity diagram for each wheel sensor.   If you're getting a reading of say, 1040 to about 1050 out of each sensor, expect the dreaded 1095 code which means a fix of the solder inside the box.   This is also covered elsewhere on the forum.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 4:19pm »

To explain further, look at my last post here, and see where below the line it says 'Living in the Bog' go to any of Tompian's posts and see the ABS Mk4 and Mk20 in blue, click on the relevant one for your car.   If you're not sure of the relevant one you'll have to look on the pictures on the forum help bit.

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
mk1boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 4:28pm »

Thanks = got it now!!!  
I will give it a try and see how I get on
thanks again
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 5:50pm »

on Dec 29th, 2011, 4:16pm, PJDavis wrote:
  This is also covered elsewhere on the forum.

The details are in 'How to do things' Here.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 29th, 2011, 5:55pm »

If these two pins are not making a good contact the fault code indicates that the motor is not working. This is because it is not getting power. The first test is to apply 12v to the motor itself...this is easily done by unplugging the two pin connector from the controller. If the motor runs when power is applied then the motor clearly is not faulty and the 'pins' are thus suspect.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 30th, 2011, 12:12pm »

As with most things Scorpio, reading the codes and looking at live data will point you in the right direction..................

i.e. If it comes up with NSF speed sensor, then you should be looking at that area, (clean connections and ring), if it comes up Motor Fault test motor as above, then do pins solder repair if motor is OK Wink

Will save you a lot of guesswork and time in the long run Wink

HTH Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
mk1boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Dec 30th, 2011, 5:41pm »

thanks guys - am hoping for a drier day tomorrow so I can get fiddling
IP Logged
mk1boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 11:31am »

Have tested the connector and got the following resistance
FL 1065
FR 1043
RL 1046
RR 1051

I then tested the connector to the motor and got 0v so I put 12v to it and it ran.  I presume this means the controller is faulty.

Strangely, I now have the ABS/TCS lights staying on whereas before they went out until the car started moving.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 12:11pm »

The only real way of knowing what the problem is is to read the codes. The resistance test of the sensors is a basic test & doesn’t necessarily mean they are working. I assume you’ve checked the ABS fuses & that power is getting through to all 3 power pins of the ABS multiplug.  
The heavier wires in the plug are from fuses 46 & 47 & are permanently live so care needs to be taken. When I test the motor I usually patch it in turn to the 2 pairs of heavy wire pins to test all at the same time.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 12:47pm »

With regard the light now staying on, it’s often the case that the more testing you do the worse the problem gets. I think if it is the controller this can be down to unplugging the motor – it’s the last straw on the failing solder of the pins.

One of the motor pins is earthed so you can test for that, try pushing the pin around with the probe to see if you can get it to break contact. You should also be able to get some sort of reading between the other motor pins & one of the pins to the multiplug. The trouble with testing this way is it usually is OK but breaks down under load.

This picture is not of your type of controller but gives an idea of what I mean with the earth pin:

IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 1:35pm »

I’ve updated the links at the foot of my posts to include all wires, however it is the non TCS version.

If anyone notices an error please let me know.

IP Logged

mk1boy

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 3:54pm »

All the fuses look ok.  I have checked the multiplug and find 12v at pins 1, 2 and 15.  Given that that seems ok, and the motor runs when 12v is applied, I guess it must be the controller.  I'm not sure if it is possible to repair it; I've seen the repair for the type 20 but not sure if its the same for the MkIV.  Given the cost of new/recon ones, I think the outcome will be to wait until it fails its MOT in June then scrap the car.  A shame but the car is just not worth the expense.

many thanks for your help anyway.

ps I don't have a fault code reader - are they easy to find?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 4:00pm »

I stand to be corrected BUT I don't think the cheap code readers will read ABS codes.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #18 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 4:06pm »

It would be a terrible shame to scrap the car for just a controller fault.   You would surely be able to get one second-hand from somewhere.    Just make sure that it is working before you pay the money!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Dec 31st, 2011, 5:56pm »

They come up on Ebay, I’ve seen them go quite cheaply although of course they could be faulty & like I mentioned earlier one that’s working may fail just through being unplugged.

I've repaired a TCS one so yes they can be repaired, assuming the pins are the problem.

The area to be soldered is directly opposite the motor plug on the other side of the controller (this is a MKIV controller but may not be TCS):

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.