Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 4:26pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Engine belt drive pulley problem. 24 valve. »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Engine belt drive pulley problem. 24 valve.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Engine belt drive pulley problem. 24 valve.  (Read 823 times)
Malcolm73

View Profile

Engine belt drive pulley problem. 24 valve.
« on: Mar 6th, 2012, 10:19am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good Morning. My car is a 24V Ultima first registered April 1997 acquired by me 1998 and now at 96,000 miles. There is a slight unusual engine rotational sound and I have found that the engine belt drive pulley is not running truly. The engine speed dial needle, yesterday become erratic but now returned to a normal steady reading. I have not discovered any information but am assuming that the twin belt pulley may require replacing. Any information would be appreciated.

Malcolm73
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

Re: Engine belt drive pulley problem. 24 valve.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2012, 12:31pm »

hiya malcolm  

the erratic needle is nothing to worry about, the signal to the tacho comes from the ecu,  

if you on about the main crank pully then its doubt full that it has failed on just 96K

have you tried removing the both belts and running the engine for a short period? (remember the water pump will not work)

if the sound is still present then the crank pully will be at fault, if not, put the aux belt back on, i have a feeling it will either be a seized / rough tenioner or the ac pump

matt
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2012, 1:12pm »

Going only by past topics this sorts of noise nearly always tends to be AC pump seizing up or pulley problem, or as Matt says tensioner pulley (?)

HTH
IP Logged

Mike H
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2012, 2:54pm »

Thank you Matt and Mike for your replies.  Age is catching up (b.1932) and I have to have some work carried out elsewhere. The pulley to which I am referring is the crankshaft pulley which seems to have a tiny side to side wobble. Six months ago I mentioned this to a garage which resulted in the left hand larger tensioner being replaced together with both belts, last replaced at 50,000 miles. The smaller right hand original tensioner appears to be running smoothly. The A.C. compressor was re-gassed three years ago and again mid-February this year (£25.00 Inc. VAT at KwikFit during the winter) which of course does not guarantee that the compressor may not be failing. Is the crankshaft pulley mounted on rubber and therefore liable to failure?  Can the crankshaft pulley be easily removed or do the fans have to come out? I may also try another garage for their opinion.
Regards,  Malcolm73
IP Logged
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6th, 2012, 6:15pm »

Yes it has a rubber core as it know as a vibration damper, there will be a tiny amount of movement but for it to wobble the rubber would have to be clearly broken or damaged

they arnt the easist to remove you will need a special extractor that pulls on the inner part

the collection on bob bits ive got says its the tensioners, all the ones i have are siezed or very rough

im looking into replacement bearings for the 4l build
IP Logged

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 6th, 2012, 9:08pm »

Matt.
Just as a matter of interest I had a 2.4 diesel Transit with a terrible belt twitter,it had two new belts in very short order, and a new tensioner,but the row always returned in a few days.I went underneath with a stethoscope and deduced that the bottom pulley was making the noise,on very close inspection there was a very slight out of true.Biting the bullet I went to Henry and bought a new one,it was well over a hundred quid,but cured the noise.Quite why it had gone out of line was a mystery as there was no apparent damage.
              GOZZ.
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 7th, 2012, 10:34am »

Matt, Gozz,

Yaeh seen this myself with Harmonic Damper Type pulleys, usually salt on roads, a little bit of water gets between rubber and pulley causing corrosion which in turn leads to a run out.

In extreme cases it will eventually crack or fall apart.

Malcolm,  

I'd be very wary of trying another garage for their opinion, garages have been known to wreck these cars, removing a small fortune from your wallet first, simply because they don't understand them.

Stick with the devil you know, and the advice on here Wink

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 7th, 2012, 10:52am »

There spake the oracle  Grin thanks for that Dave.
         GOZZ.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 7th, 2012, 12:49pm »

Well summink else I've learned! (re crankshaft pulley) Grin
IP Logged

Mike H
Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 12:09pm »

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.

Some months ago my local garage mechanic witnessed the crankshaft pulley movement and believed it to be caused by the left hand larger tensioner.  The tensioner was subsequently replaced and there did seem to be an improvement.  Presently the new belts, tensioners and all pulleys seem to be running smoothly except at the crankshaft pulley although it is difficult to see the side to side movement at 750 R.P.M. Should the rubber vibration damper be faulty ultimate failure could  be sudden and dramatic.

Is there anyone within a sensible distance from Stourbridge, West Midlands who has a 24 valve engine who would allow me to drive over and compare movement at the crankshaft pulley and perhaps give an opinion?

I know that this should be in parts wanted but I believe that I need a new or possibly a second hand pulley. I have tried TLC Ford, with no response but as yet not Trevor Porter at Ford Parts.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 1:16pm »

For what it’s worth since it’s a single pulley on my 2.3 – it has run out ever since I bought the car (approx 50,000 miles ago) & the edge of the rubber you can see is cracked.
You can see it clearly at tickover, it’s side to side movement not up & down. I’ve just made a rough measurement as the pulley is flush with the centre on one side & not the other. It’s about .8 mm.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 4:04pm »

Malcolm

im in birmingham but my 24v is at my partners house in west brom at the mo, i start work at 2 so if you can pop over in the morning you can compare mine
IP Logged

Malcolm73

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 11th, 2012, 9:30pm »

Tompion, thank you for the estimated  measurement on your 2.3 litre. My pulley is probably moving more than 0.8 mm however I am hoping that Matt who does not live too far away can give me his opinion and I have just sent him an email to arrange a meeting.
IP Logged
Matt

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Mar 12th, 2012, 5:55pm »

Hiya malcolm

thursday is best for me, i work evening shifts so after 9 but before 1 lol

ill pm you the address
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.