Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 2nd, 2024, 10:18pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Catalytic Converter broken? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Catalytic Converter broken?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Catalytic Converter broken?  (Read 1075 times)
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Catalytic Converter broken?
« on: Apr 17th, 2012, 12:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi  

I think my Cat might have broken as I can hear a sound like a marble in a can when driving.

Unfortunately I haven't got my ramps anymore so cannot get under the car yet to check.

One other problem I am having however is that the engine keeps running rough (like a misfire) then cutting out. When restarted it is fine.  Could this be related to the faulty Cat blocking the exhaust somehow?

Cheers in advance.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: Catalytic Converter broken?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 17th, 2012, 7:43pm »

It could be the AC pump. I had similar experiences with one of my 24 valve Scorps. I took the AC drive belt off and all symptoms disapeared. She now runs like a dream.  If the Pump is seizing it causes a huge drag on the engine.

If this cures your problems I suggest you disconect the multiplug from the top of the AC pump for good measure.

My missus is dead chuffed not having air conditioning.(dries her throat!). And I find I like the Climate Control .

Good luck mate

Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Lazenby43

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Apr 27th, 2012, 8:35pm »

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Problems;action= display;num=1328975578

Sounds like mine was. I had to pay a garage (friend) to fit. Seized bolts - manifolds off - 3 hours!
IP Logged
wolfblood

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2012, 3:34pm »

OK

Now I feel like a dope (but then the garage guy didn't notice it either).

Took the car into a garage today about the rattle and the mechanic looked at it but said the cat seemed OK.  

After some tapping around he said the centre box passenger side on the exhaust was probably broken inside and would probably need replacing thus causing the rattle and cut outs.

So drove home and got out of the car. Then noticed the centre cover on the wheel was showing a gap between that and the wheel (12 spoke type).  

I removed the centre cover and drove around no rattle whatsoever. So what could have meant replacing the cat had I listened to the first mechaniic I spoke to a fortnight back, turned out to be a loose nut on the cover causing it to flap about whilst driving.

Now to search for the cause of the rough engine. The AC belt was removed a while back anyway but thanks for the feedback.

Will put it back on with some ptfe thread tape which should hold it better and stop the bolt unloosening.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.