Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:30pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v Heater Stopped Working »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v Heater Stopped Working
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v Heater Stopped Working  (Read 1454 times)
Johnhook25

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

24v Heater Stopped Working
« on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 5:26pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all, I hope everyone is well.

I would greatly appreciate some advice please. My heater has stopped working on my Scoprio 24v Cosworth. The running temp of the engine is normal but only cold air comes out of  the heater.  

I have been advised that it is most likely the matrix at fault and would most likely need replacing. Is matrix failure a common fault on the scorpio? Would it be worth trying to flush out the system first?  

Holts do a 2 part system flush, has anybody tried this product or had a similar problem? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as it is starting to get blooming cold!  

Many thanks,
Jon
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

Re: 24v Heater Stopped Working
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 5:43pm »

There is a fault with the scorp heater matrix, I think it has some kind of internal plastic parts in the pipe work which break free blocking the water path. I would think you would get a little bit of heat, air just off cold. Have you reset the heater.
IP Logged
Johnhook25

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 5:59pm »

Hi thanks for your response. yes i have tried resetting the heater as advised on this site. I did briefly get a little bit of heat but it has now gone completely.
IP Logged
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 4th, 2012, 1:46am »

You could try a flush. Someone on here  put in biological washing  powder for a month, flushed it and has had heat since. Can't rememeber who though Huh
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 4th, 2012, 8:41am »

Jon. Go to 'How to do things'. On page one there is a link to 'back flushing the matrix'. On page four there are three related links about the Matrix including pictures by Tompion showing the plastric spirals in the Matrix. The 'Jonnycab' method of removing airlocks is the first thing I'd try. Are you sure the water level is correct?.Have you recently added antifreeze for example?. Start with the simple checks.Let us know how you get on. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Johnhook25

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Nov 4th, 2012, 5:06pm »

Thank you for your advice.  I have checked the water level and all is fine and I haven't added any anti freeze recently or tampered with the water system either.

I will try the simple methods you mentioned first and I will keep you informed of my progress.

Many thanks to everyone for their kind help and advice.
IP Logged
TiberiuS

Ex. 1996 2.3 Ultima - RIP P789 KHJ

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 4th, 2012, 6:41pm »

Jon, I used that Holts 2-part stuff on one of our cars, it removed a lot of sludge and the car is still working fine 3 years later. The main thing against it in my opinion is all the times you need to flush it, run the car back to temperature etc, a bit of a pain in the cold weather.

I also know a couple of people who filled the matrix with kettle descaler and left it overnight and back flushed it the next day who say that worked, but I'd be careful - it's not the aluminium so much but any rubber/plastic parts in there.

Back flushing the matrix is where I'd start, I used some jubilee clips and short lengths of copper pipe joined to the hoses when I did mine to make it easier to get the hose on and get some water pressure through it. See if that brings out any debris and if the flow of water improves and go from there.

Hope this helps,

Bruce.
IP Logged

Bruce - '07 Jaguar XKR coupe, '95 Jaguar XJ Sport 4.0, '82 Ford Capri 2.0 Ghia, '15 Honda Civic (sloooooww..)
Jeff

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 4th, 2012, 9:03pm »

I had the matrix replaced by my local Ford main dealer a few years ago (on another Scorp that I had) and they flushed me for best part of a grand. I spoke to the mechanic who did the job, and he said they were only allowed four hours officially. I don't know how long it took, and I wish I'd taken his personal number in case he might like a private job, because, sure enough, later Scorps I have are just the same. No heat...or precious little. Mine does warm eventually but only after a few miles. I used to drive dressed like I was on a motorbike.
IP Logged

2.9 Cosworth saloon and 2.3 saloon
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 5th, 2012, 11:19am »

Hi Jon,
similar thing happened to me a few years ago. Tried flushing but made no impact against freezing weather.
Changing the matrix is probably the only option. It's do-able but time consuming. I reckon it'll take you 2 day to complete - there's a lot to take off and then put back. Once you've got all the other bits out it take 5 mins to change over the matrix    Roll Eyes If you're going to do it yourself you need to be fairly agile for the final part of removing the dash (or have someone who is).
There's a lot of nuts/bolts coming off and I strongly recommend to have some sort of way of knowing what came off where - don't rely on memory.
I made notes of what I did but haven't got round to adding to site.  I will do soon if you're serious about DIY.

Paul
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10th, 2012, 1:37pm »

If you are going to flush it be careful not to snap the pipes in the engine bay-they are plastic and by now will be brittle!
IP Logged
Johnhook25

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 12th, 2012, 8:12pm »

Success! I tried the easy method of back flushing the matrix today. I took off the two pipes to the matrix (which wasn't easy, it doesn't look like they have been off before) I alternated  inserting a hose pipe into one end and then the other, flushing cold water through for about 30mins or so with the engine off. A load of rusty brown gunge came flying out and then it eventually ran clear. I connected it all back up and hey presto, HEAT! Cheesy

It wasn't piping hot to begin with, only heating up properly when the engine was revved. I took the car for a good drive and by the time I got back it was blowing consistantly hot out of the vents on tick over.  

I am taking the Scorp for a good long run down to Birmingham at the weekend to visit the Classic Car Show at the NEC. I'm hoping that it might clear anything else that may still be floating around in the system.

A huge thank you to everyone who took the time to offer me their help and advice. I really appreciate it, you have all done me proud. It is awesome to have some heat back again and if anyone is in the market for a pair of extra large long johns, a flying jacket, gloves and a hat, I am selling them cheap  Grin

IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 13th, 2012, 2:15am »

I know that feeling of relief (and warmth) only too well!
Glyn
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 13th, 2012, 6:46am »

Not selling the goggles and silk scarf as well are you John? lol.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Nov 13th, 2012, 8:28am »

John. That is good news. Glad you are sorted. Thanks for letting us know the result and method as that is what helps the next member. Enjoy your trip.  Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.