Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 20th, 2024, 9:42pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Dashboard lights »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Dashboard lights
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dashboard lights  (Read 3773 times)
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Dashboard lights
« on: Dec 19th, 2012, 5:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi my clock and speedo lights seem to have died. The fuse is ok and the speedo / clock and rev counters still work and the lights come on on the heating controls and all the buttons in the car.
Has anyone any idea's on what the problem might be please?

Thanks Andy
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Dashboard lights
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19th, 2012, 5:37pm »

Andy, this might sound too simple but it could just be the bulbs failing or a connector come loose. Regretfully it does mean removing the instrument panel to see. Even the clock bulb is only accessible once the surround is out.  Smiley

The details are Here. It's a job that just needs time and a bit of patience and care.

There is also a recent write up by Peter in How to do Things Here but that only relates to the clock as of course the speedo bulb is in the instrument panel.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 9:21am »

Thanks Simmo I just thought it odd that the lights on my instrument panel and clock should all die at the same time yet  the others be ok. I assume if it was a plug loose it would have knocked out  the warning lights and instruments as well.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 12:44pm »

on Dec 20th, 2012, 9:21am, Andycan wrote:
Thanks Simmo I just thought it odd that the lights on my instrument panel and clock should all die at the same time yet  the others be ok. I assume if it was a plug loose it would have knocked out  the warning lights and instruments as well.

I don't think that is necessarily the case. The instrument illumination is more likely to be a separate circuit to the warning lamps. I recently had the bulbs go in the clock and the temperature gauge but all others were ok as were the warning lights. We do have wiring diagrams but frankly I am no expert on them...to put it mildly!. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 2:17pm »

Ok I will check the bulbs out as soon as I can as I am in the middle of moving house and I seem to have lost my tools lol.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 2:38pm »

The dash has two sizes of bulbs - anyone know the type or part numbers?  I've searched ebay but there are loads of different sizes.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 2:56pm »

on Dec 20th, 2012, 2:38pm, amigafan2003 wrote:
The dash has two sizes of bulbs - anyone know the type or part numbers?  I've searched ebay but there are loads of different sizes.

If you look at my first post and click on the highlighted link you'll find all the Finis numbers on there. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 20th, 2012, 7:19pm »

The larger ones are the same fitting as 501 wedge base but they’re too high a wattage & melt the plastic. I used 2W 509’s from ebay, they were listed as “12 VOLT 12v T10 2w 509 CAR BULB LAMP 10mm” like these from another seller:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190691426153
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 29th, 2012, 5:15pm »

on Dec 19th, 2012, 5:00pm, Andycan wrote:
Hi my clock and speedo lights seem to have died. The fuse is ok and the speedo / clock and rev counters still work and the lights come on on the heating controls and all the buttons in the car.
Has anyone any idea's on what the problem might be please?

Thanks Andy

For what it’s worth I just checked today to see the effect of removing fuse 23 - instrument panel light.
Apart from the clock & instrument panel lights the only other illuminations affected were the night illuminations on the radio (the display panel backlight & red lights on the channel buttons still worked).
“the lights come on on the heating controls and all the buttons in the car” – these are not powered by the same fuse.
IP Logged

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 4th, 2013, 11:46am »

Hi sorry been stuck offline for a couple of weeks.

I have found the problem after being stopped by the police at 1am new years eve because my rear sidelights were not working. It seems that the wiring at the boot loom was shorting out. I have also noticed that pin 15 on the lights switch has been shorting out so I assume that it goes to the rear sidelights.

Thanks Everyone.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 4th, 2013, 12:22pm »

Andy, the wiring to the rear lights is often damaged by the boot hinge on the offside if the loom is not clipped back correctly. You may have to remove some of the loom wrapping to see it. IF it is that can you please take a couple of photos. Pin 15 on the headlight switch is a known issue and often, if you look carefully the connector will show signs of overheating. IIRC someone once did resolve this by wiring direct and by passing the connector. Let us know how you get on please. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2013, 8:04pm »

I will do my best Simmo need to find my camera thanks  
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 3:41pm »

Has anyone got the link to the wiring diagrams please? I have found 3 cracked wires but no broken or badly damaged ones so was thinking of rewiring all the way from the rear lights to the light switch.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 4:22pm »

on Jan 8th, 2013, 3:41pm, Andycan wrote:
Has anyone got the link to the wiring diagrams please? .
Courtesy of Snoopy.  Handle with care!....That's him I mean!! Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 8:04pm »

I seemed to remember something about this over on the mailing list, so just had a look.
Pin 15 has been reported as a problem several times – so possibly nothing to do with the boot loom.
Normal thing seems to be to change the switch or squeeze the spade & clean the mating faces.

Alternatively here are a couple of posts from Jim H:
---------------
Just an update on my repair, guys - for newbies the headlamp switch sometimes fails, in that you lose all rear lights and the dash lights. You also lose the warning "bong!" if you try to leave the car with the lights still on.
One of the pins in the rear of the switch itself, (pin 15 I think) starts to corrode, and arcs with it's mating half in the car loom connector.
First I tried putting a small bend in the pin (more of a narrow spade terminal actually) which worked, but only for a day or two. At this point I tried wiggling the connector while the lights were on - I then found just how small the lack of contact actually was. I cut away a part of the plastic pin surround for accessibility and solder-tinned the mating faces of the blade. That was about 3 months ago.
Still working fine....
Jim H
--------------

Done all that 3 years ago....buying a new switch, bending the male spade,  
stuffing the gap etc. All failed in less than a month. Solder works, and to date, has lasted 3.5 years....
Jim H
-------------

IP Logged

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 8:35pm »

Thank you Simmo. I have been thinking hence all the steam lol. As both rear sidelights are out would that not suggest it was the switch since each side light has it's own loom?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.