Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:35am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« huge power drain on battery! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   huge power drain on battery!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: huge power drain on battery!  (Read 3695 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

huge power drain on battery!
« on: Dec 25th, 2012, 9:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Happy Christmas guys! i was hoping to see family today, but the fully charged battery i fitted yesterday is absolutely flat! nothing obvious i can think of, open to any ideas! i've got it on charge again, don't know if i can start it today !
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: huge power drain on battery!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 9:19am »

Bob. If you had had it off to charge presumably there was a problem in the first place?. If it was otherwise sound then you obviously have a large current drain. Interior lights, boot light, glove compartment light. Did you use the car yesterday? is the alternator charging correctly. If you didn't use or start the car yesterday are you sure the small black lead has been reconnected to the battery? It can sometimes slip out of site.  

Have a read of This re diagnostic test.
And This re non starting. Smiley
Then for good measure This Smiley  Good luck.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 9:31am »

Check Relay 16 and Fuse 36. Also, glovebox/boot light switches.

Adam
IP Logged

ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 9:39am »

Thanks guys now that i,m thinking about it the old battery which i thought was faulty was changed to a bigger one yesterday, car drove ok, but something is draining it overnight! so the fault was already there! my lads on his way to jump it! wife not happy! will check the diagrams and keep you updated, thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 9:45am »

quick update, the battery is on charge, needles flicking! but it sounds as though there is something going on behind the dash, best described as sounding like a light sabre!! Huh
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 9:46am »

sons arrived to jump it so hopefully will be leaving for rest of the day, thanks guys will let you know!Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 9:46am »

Check the cigarette lighter for shorting on the ash tray . This module may also be worth a look. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 10:30am »

Lot of rain recently, check the fuseboxes... Sad
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 2:16pm »

hen it happened to me it was the engine loom(arnitel wiring fitted until june 1996) had multiple shorts including 2 glowplug wires fused together that would have been repairable if the main loom insulation hadnt also turned to dust
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Dec 25th, 2012, 10:06pm »

Thanks guys, ive been delivering presents today, the car runs ok. but i have to disconnect the battery when i stop anywhere! also apparently on monday night, there was a terrific amount of rain, Also i am pretty sure the glove box is now wet on the inside! i heard a ticking noise from the glove box earlier! also the speedo has stopped working! along with the reset button! (not displaying anything! not had any time to do anything today, will check tomorow, Cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Dec 26th, 2012, 8:23am »

Bob, if there is water down behind the glove compartment it has come through the bulkhead grommet which carries the cables into the ECU etc. This is a large grommet with a big bunch of cables and if not seated correctly will allow water to enter the car. If it has got in to the car there is every likelihood that the fusebox is soaked. You need to get the whole thing dried out PDQ. Do you have a battery cover fitted? and are the bulkhead drainholes in front of the battery clear?. See Here and Here.  

This is an 'exploded' view of the interior. There are a number of layers and you will see that each copper segment sits in a track or small depression. Water lying in any of these will cause problems. This is why it is essential to keep the box dry to prevent 'tracking' between the parts and also why boxes are difficult to dry out. The layers are stacked together tightly so separation is really the only way to ensure the box is totally dry. Smiley

This shows the tracks a little better and you can also see the effects of water on them. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 26th, 2012, 8:29am »

The biggest drain on a battery when the engine is not running is a faulty alternator.

Worth getting it checked out . I understand you can disconnect the lead to the back of the alternator and by doing that you can either confirm or eliminate from the cause of the battery drain.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Dec 26th, 2012, 9:29am »

Thanks for replies guys, having had a look in daylight it does not look like water, its a lot of sticky desolved sweets! Thanks Simmo, i have done a rebuild on a fuse box, also i have a couple of spare boxes, so looks like the next thing to check is the alternator so will do that next. the fuse box supply arcs quite badly when i re-connect it!
will update later!Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Dec 27th, 2012, 1:05pm »

Well i found the drain on the battery, it is the flipping ABS module, with that out i get a reading of around 30, when i put fuse 46 in it creeps up to 1-75 amps! so i guess it is possible that the loom is shorting somewhere else (other than the 2 sensors i had to rewire!) but i cant feel my fingers now, too cold to continue, bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27th, 2012, 6:59pm »

Bob, ABS fuse 46 is permanently live & at 30 amps there’s likely to be serious damage if the problem is in the loom.  
ABS fuse 47 is also 30 amp & permanently live so best remove that as well until you find what’s going on.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Dec 27th, 2012, 9:05pm »

Thanks Tompion, i have taken the battery off,  till tomorrow, then i'll have a look! there is something  wierd going on! the speedo packed up!but the trip button is working, don't know if that is related! another thing is that the remote activates interior lights, but not the locks! i think it's paying me back for storing her too long! i would like to delve or cut into the loom under the brake servo, but it's too difficult to get at! if it were possible i could rewire the entire loom and run it at a higher level, i guess its possible the abs module is damaged now!   HuhBob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 10:40am »

People manage to get the module off by lifting the ABS assembly with it still plumbed in, so I’d of thought you ought to be able to lift it high enough to get at the loom.

Apart from the problem with the motor pins the modules seem to be quite robust so hopefully it’s OK.
IP Logged

bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 5:13pm »

am i right in thinking the spedometer is fed from the rear nearside abs sensor so rectification of the abs problem will probably restore the speedo  i also think the odometer reset will still work as it will have a separate power feed 12v as opposed to the pulse messages sent from the rear wheel sensor which is probably of the 5 volt variety.if i got an abs light after driving in the rain and the speedo was working i never bothered checking that sensor it was usually a front anyway
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 5:39pm »

No, it's from the Vehicle Speed Sensor VSS on the gearbox.
IP Logged

ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Dec 28th, 2012, 6:12pm »

Thanks bernard, Tompion, felt rough today so little progress, but some good points, the battery has remained fully charged, at 12-99 volts and the alternator is pumping at 13.8 volts, hopefully i can get on it tomorow, with a another wiring check, although removing the abs module fuse, stopped the drain, it could still be a short on the wires from the module,
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.