Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:36am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« ABS UPDATE-continuing problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   ABS UPDATE-continuing problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ABS UPDATE-continuing problems  (Read 26163 times)
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

ABS UPDATE-continuing problems
« on: Jan 15th, 2013, 1:04am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some of you will have seen my request in "Parts Wanted",-here is the story for suggestions.
Ultima '95 12v 2.9 bought summer 2011 33k miles had intermittent ABS light sometimes on startup, sometimes rolling which eventually became permenantly on. Had it serviced and codes read by local autoelecrician(Ford trained)-ABS reported faulty front N/S sensor. Bought new sensor but when going to fit it tested resistance of old one and got 1.1k ohms therefore left it until it could be scanned again. This time there was no communication with the module which we presumed had gone down hence request for spare which PJ kindly sent me (had a sticker saying had been reconditioned in the past).
Duely fitted but not communicating and light still on permenantly.He eventually got some response on his machine only by using the Ford Canada setting. Still no codes but was able to respond to the reset command .Inthe meantime he had replaced the front n/s sensor anyway(got the old one out undamaged!)
Light went out on start bur now comes on showing rolling fault-still no codes available.
Suggestions welcome about 1, what to do next(he is going to pin everything out clean sensors etc)
2, why no codes and why have to use Canadian setting
Glyn
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: ABS UPDATE-continuing problems
« Reply #1 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 1:28am »

Check the new sensor is as close to the sensor ring as the one on the other side.  
One I lent Simmo that was supposed to have come from a Scorpio had too big an air gap which caused it to fail the rolling test.
I can only assume the problem with reading the codes is with the reader being used.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 1:39am »

Thanks Tompion, will check the gap . The reader is the same one which originally gave the front n/s fault and worked ok then
Glyn
IP Logged
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 1:45am »

i think i would want to examine closely the connector under the front wheelarch that the sensor lead plugs in to -the new sensor and lead is ok but that lead plugs in to a connector which is always vulnerable to water ingress and corrosion also being a 95 model the wiring itself is suspect so i would be looking for chafing or just brittle insulation,cross wire shorting or even a broken wire at the underwing plug connector.it sounds like your old sensor was ok  which leads me back to wiring continuity
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 1:59am »

Thanks for that-yes we are going to look at the wiring but it does pass the static test on start up-if we could get the reader to work it might tell us where to aim for when the rolling fault occurs.
Glyn
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 2:09am »

Where are you located, there may be someone near who could read the codes.  
If you sent me the old controller I could patch it into my car & read the codes, however there’s always the chance you may have introduced extra fault codes whilst testing.
IP Logged

Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 2:36am »

Thanks I'll bear that in mind, might know more tomorrow. l am in Manchester
Glyn
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 7:43am »

What amazes me is that he got the sensor out undamaged! Roll Eyes  Firstly what was his secret because I have never heard of anyone being succesful until now and secondly are you sure it was the correct sensor in the first place. As Tompion, the ABS guru  Wink, says one he had was not right for our cars and the air gap was too big between it and the sensor ring. We did manage to lower it but clearly that gap is critical. IIRC it needs to be about 5 thou or less. I know we were checking it with a feeler gauge. The obvious thing about the sensor Tomp had was that the the rubber grommets on the lead were clearly in the 'wrong ' place compared to the original although the connector was identical. Please let us know how things go. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
bernard_slade

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 2:32pm »

years back i did remove all my abs sensors to clean etc -the rh front came out ok but i stuffed the left one getting it out and had to spend 80 quid on a new one from fords.i greased them all before replacing them-i suppose they get cooked with the heat transfer on brakingl
IP Logged

another OAP past sell by date
Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 7:10pm »

Tompion looks as though you are right about the code reader-he says betweenthe 1st read and later he had a software update and feels it is a bug in the upgrade which prevents reading the codes. He is investigating.
Glyn
IP Logged
Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 7:12pm »

PS The new sensor was new off the bay and plug and grommets were identical.
Glyn
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 20th, 2013, 3:51pm »

on Jan 15th, 2013, 1:04am, Glyn wrote:
intermittent ABS light sometimes on startup, sometimes rolling which eventually became permenantly on.

This can also be caused by low battery Voltage, make sure it's well charged up before re-checking this behaviour again.

Guess how I know. Grin

I think also dirty fuses / connectors could cause what looks like low battery in some places, e.g. dashboard diagnostics, I need to check this out sometime soon. But when the weather is better!

IP Logged

Mike H
Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 20th, 2013, 9:41pm »

Thanks I will bear that in mind although fairly sure the battery was fairly well charged.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jan 20th, 2013, 10:20pm »

There is an ABS code for low battery, so that should have been picked up by the code reader if it was the problem.
B1676 (BPVOOR – Battery pack voltage out of range)
IP Logged

Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 12:20am »

Thanks for that -I'll check.
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 10:25am »

Glyn, What you are describing now, is the same symptoms as i had, abs light on permanently, also same car, same year, same wiring, can you not unplug the abs multiplug, and check not only continuity on both rear sensors, but also check for any reading to earth or chassis on those wires, after disconnecting the sensor plugs under rear seat,  Any reading on any one of the 2 pairs, may help isolate the problem! i only mention rears because they are wired through the troublesome loom!  it is easy to do, i by-passed mine and got the m.o.t, Sadly the real problem ‘loom breaking down’ showed up later, but all ok now, have a look at- Re: ABS, Light, help please. (ro284) thankfully Tompion has diagrams, Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 12:27pm »

on Jan 21st, 2013, 10:25am, ro284 wrote:
 Sadly the real problem ‘loom breaking down’ showed up later, but all ok now, have a look at- Re: ABS, Light, help please. (ro284) thankfully Tompion has diagrams, Bob

I think This is what Bob is referring to? Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 8:47pm »

Hi simmo, no not that one, i was thinking about the How to rewire the loom, post, hopefully there will be some pics added to that soon, and the damage can be seen, it may make more sense then.  
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jan 21st, 2013, 8:55pm »

on Jan 21st, 2013, 8:47pm, ro284 wrote:
Hi simmo, no not that one, i was thinking about the How to rewire the loom, post, hopefully there will be some pics added to that soon, and the damage can be seen, it may make more sense then.  
Bob

This one then
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Glyn

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Jan 22nd, 2013, 1:06am »

Thanks Bob and Simmo,Iam aware of the potential loom problem.
Update now is that we just have a rolling ABS fault-the light goes out on startup. A different code reader shows various sensor mismatches and removal of the rear sensors shows them both to have cracked plastic and badly corroded heads.Before connecting replacements I will check the wiring with multimeter as you suggest . More later.
Glyn
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.