Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:42am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Coolant Loss »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Coolant Loss
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Coolant Loss  (Read 2345 times)
lesterlad aka Rodders

2.3 Ghia x Estate (Manual)

View Profile Email

Coolant Loss
« on: Feb 16th, 2013, 6:54pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My 2.3 seems to be losing a small amount of coolant, approx half litre to a litre a fortnight depending on mileage.

I can't see any coolant....
* under the bonnet (no wet engine)
*in the footwell(s).
*on the tarmac.
*on the under tray
*coming out of exhaust (steam).
Engine starts/ runs/ drives as normal every time.
Any ideas anyone ?

IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Coolant Loss
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16th, 2013, 7:40pm »

You can sometimes get leaks under pressure that don’t always leave a patch under the car.
Check under the stat housing in case that’s cracked, mine used to be sticky from antifreeze - the water having evaporated from the heat of the engine.
Check the hoses to/from the matrix, they have plastic joiners with 2 clips part the way along them that become brittle with age.
A failing pressure cap can release fluid, put the overflow pipe into a container & see if it collects any coolant.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 16th, 2013, 8:00pm »

pin hole in the radiator core?
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16th, 2013, 11:31pm »

Had a similar problem with my cossie. Eventually replaced the water pump with a new Ford one-no different with no signs of leakage until 13 months later (just out of guarentee!) when the pump failed with a massive leak from the bearing seal. New pump again and not had to top up since-was about a pint every week.
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 12:21pm »

Check your gearbox oil, make sure thats not going up Cry. Just seen you have a manual, no need to check.
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 1:45pm »

I'd been losing water steadily at about the same rate you have for 18months with no drips on the drive way.  Then on the way to work one morning last month the radiator failed spectacularly - replaced rad and no more water loss.

Sometimes the rads only leak when under pressure and hence coolant is hot - it evaporates straight away.

Find a garage that can pressure test the rad whilst it's on the car.
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 3:22pm »

I had this scenario and found out it was a ballooning radiator which leaked when hot and under pressure NO visible signs until I took it out.  

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 8:32pm »

Here's one more guess - the plug at the rear of cylinder head. It can be see with help of a small mirror from underneath the car, I can't remember exactly from which side etc, but there it is above flywheel and clutch (or torque converter) housing. Gap between firewall and engine is not that wide.

Coolant drips into top of gearbox and may find its way to ground somewhere between front seats - not under the engine from where you'd normally search.

Apparently in a Galaxy a coolant hose exits head from there but as there's no room for that when engine is installed lengthways there's just a plug with a O-ring.
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 8:59pm »

Not sure but I think I may have found the leak.
Directly behind the thermostat housing there seems to be some reddish/pinkish scaly deposit, seeing as the coolant/antifreeze is red I am assuming this could be the culprit, yet the area is completely bone dry even starting from cold and letting it get up to temperature before going on a run and after.
 I don't really want to go round poking and prodding at it as to make matters worse.
I think Ill have to keep my eyes peeled for a 2.3 inlet manifold when funds permit.  

Edit:
Does anyone know if that solution that contains some kind of metallic filings is any good as a temporary measure in this situation ?
IP Logged

There's are methods to my madness!!! I'm not sure what the methods are but there's definitely madness in them
ottopmh

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Feb 18th, 2013, 7:02am »

That I think is the most typical reason, a crack in the manifold.

My car has it too, actually it has had it for three years now. I have a spare manifold waiting for the day when old one starts to leak too much;)
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Feb 18th, 2013, 9:13am »

Rodders,the metal filings stuff used to be called CE-LIT,it came in a small packet and has been around for a long time.Years ago I had an Austin 7 which sprang a leak in the front of the rad,the coolant was actually squirting out in a small jet,I put a packet of CE-LIT in,and watched as the leak slowed down and eventually stopped,absolutely amazing result.Give it a go you never know,it might cure it permanently  Cool
IP Logged
lesterlad aka Rodders

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Feb 18th, 2013, 4:11pm »

Added a sachet of CE-LIT as suggested, just a case of waiting fingers crossed for a few days now to see if there's any result.
IP Logged

Jonnycab

Former owner of 2.3 Ultima Facelift saloon

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 3:50am »

If the leak is in the thermostat housing part of the manifold, then the CE-LIT (I'm assuming it is like K-seal) metal filings won't seal the leak as the manifold is plastic. Metal filings in coolant stop leak products are only attracted to the metallic parts of the cooling system....good luck anyway  Smiley

P.S...the antifreeze should be blue or green. Red (long life) antifreeze is not recommended for the Scorpio  Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.