Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 10:27am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Low oil pressure »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Low oil pressure
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Low oil pressure  (Read 3523 times)
Icarus

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Low oil pressure
« on: Mar 15th, 2013, 10:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all

My 24v has covered just 23k and has run very well in the 3 weeks that I have owned her, but on a run back from Gatwick as I pulled off the M26 at Wrotham and the revs dropped to about 1000rpm the oil light can on and I could hear the engine knocking Sad

I could not stop there and then, so decided to head for the Shell garage just up the road, as I blipped the throttle the oil light went out and the engine knocking stopped, but again as I slowed for the right turn into the garage and the revs dropped, the oil light once more come on.

So low revs equalled low oil pressure.

The engine has got the cold start rattle, which disappears after a few seconds.

Now my own thoughts on this are that maybe the chain tensioner is leaking oil badly leading to low pressure, although as I do not know exactly how this part works, might not be correct at all!

Or that something has stopped the oil pumps prv from seating correctly, or the prv is faulty in someway?

Any advances on these 2 theories?

Going to drop the sump at some point and investigate, but is it possible to replace all the bearings with the engine is situ?

Thanks

Peter

IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Low oil pressure
« Reply #1 on: Mar 15th, 2013, 10:56pm »

Done the obvious - checked the oil level?
IP Logged
Icarus

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 15th, 2013, 11:00pm »

Oh yes, the first thing I did when I popped the bonnet in the garage, and it was fine, as I did think that I might have sprung a leak on the run from Gatwick, but not that.  Did not stop me adding an extra litre though, just to be sure as the oil is so clean and quite hard to see on the dip stick Smiley

IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 15th, 2013, 11:08pm »

when was it last serviced? to only have 23k on it its barely used, i wonder if the oil pump is sludge'd up?
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
Icarus

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 15th, 2013, 11:11pm »

It was serviced in the last 12 months, service book is out in the car, so will double check tomorrow.  Oil is very clean on dipstick.  The previous owner had the car from new and since the passing of her husband hardly drove the car.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 16th, 2013, 7:16am »

Just a thought. Is the oil filter a genuine Ford or good quality one?. There have been reports that some of the cheaper filters allow oil to drain back so lowering the level a little?.  
Welcome to the site and good luck with the car. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 16th, 2013, 9:31am »

whats your idle rpm? if the base idle is a little low it will drop the oil pressure
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 16th, 2013, 9:43am »

The 24v filter is fitted on a downward extension from the basic 12v block,therefore unlike all the other engines,cannot drain down.
To remove the sump you need to sling the engine and lower the cross member,whether or not you will be able to change the mains in situ I don't know,Matt should be able to help you,he is knowledgeable on that engine.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 16th, 2013, 9:53am »

on Mar 16th, 2013, 9:43am, gozz wrote:
The 24v filter is fitted on a downward extension from the basic 12v block,therefore unlike all the other engines,cannot drain down.

Thanks for that Gozz. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Icarus

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 16th, 2013, 4:05pm »

Base idle looks to be about 900-950 rpm, which is about correct?

The engine had what is described as a Value service on the 8/11/12, anybody know what that would entail?

The car was supplied new by Haynes of Maidstone and serviced by them exclusively.

I started the engine again today and she sounds ok to me, certainly does not sound fubar'd yet?  Here is a link to a short video of her running.

http://s122.beta.photobucket.com/user/icurus22/media/24vrunning_zpse24cc 56d.mp4.html

IP Logged
martin_rowe

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18th, 2013, 8:55am »

bits of timing chain tensioner/guide have blocked the oil strainer in bottom of the sump.
IP Logged

Rally Drivers Do It Sideways
Icarus

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18th, 2013, 8:39pm »

I hope to drop the sump at some point to see what's what, then maybe the front cover off......
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 9:35am »

on Mar 18th, 2013, 8:55am, martin_rowe wrote:
bits of timing chain tensioner/guide have blocked the oil strainer in bottom of the sump.

I'd say Martin hits the nail squarely on the head there  Wink

The more miles you drive the car the more bits get sucked in and block the strainer, then when it stands for a while some bits drop back into the sump allowing it to build better pressure and sound normal again.

I'd clean out the bits and fit new big end shells as they'll be scuffed to the backing by now.

You cannot change the mains in situ, if you try removing the rear one it won't come down and will leak oil forever after, but mains should be ok, just drop the 2 centre main caps and check the lower shells, as they will be the first to go Wink
Assuming they are ok refit and forget mains, but if they are worn, you're gonna have to pull the engine  Sad

TBH if you're planning on doing the chain tensioners I'd pull the motor anyways  Wink

Also, did your "cheapo" sounding service use the correct oil type and grade when they changed it ??  

HTH Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Icarus

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 22nd, 2013, 10:37pm »

Hi Dave, not my cheapo service, its what the last owner had done, but there are no receipts showing what was done.

I'm waiting to hear about a lockup, and if/when this turns up, I will be dropping the engine and gearbox in order to renew the timing chain guides etc.  Will be a good opportunity to give the engine and engine bay a good clean too Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.