Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 8:23am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help Overheating! »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help Overheating!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help Overheating!  (Read 149 times)
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Help Overheating!
« on: Jul 19th, 2013, 10:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

95, 2-9 estate, Took the car out today, (Still no ABS PLUG) after about 10 miles with air con on, The car started to get hot and rattley, possibly pinking! So stopped and noticed the coolant had gone, but was too hot to take the filler cap off, So waited an hour to let the engine cool down, topped up from a river, then went a few miles and the same thing happened again! A few times, eventually got the car home! When it is freshly topped up and cooled down, there is no rattle or pinking, it is only when low on water,  Then it is extremely hot!
 After all that i need a plan to find the problem, I feel it may be caused by a blockage, or the pump impellor loose, or an air lock! Stuck Stat! The overflow tube keeps squirting out hot water when i switch off. I guess it could be caused by a head Gasket! Any advice please,
Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

Re: Help Overheating!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 20th, 2013, 12:52am »

I'd check the thermostat. Prone to sticking. Take it out and do the hot water test to see if it works.
IP Logged
Matt

Manual'd and a 4.0 in the making

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 20th, 2013, 5:52am »

Take the thermo stat out the split the cooling system into 3

1. Take hoses off the rad and flush it from top to bottom. If the flow seems restricted them remove rad, lie flat and fill with a hot soapy solution. Leave for an hour then back flush.

2. Flush the engine block.

3. Flush the heater matrix, normally back flushing is best.

Also check the little return on the header tank isnt blocked. I found this on Alans 24v

If your losing that much water but with no sign as to where its going chevk the engine oil and autobox oil. If either is milky its a big task to fix
IP Logged

FDS2000 Scans - Birmingham
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 20th, 2013, 12:27pm »

Thanks Matt, Leewar, Well the stat looks like its been there since the car was built, it will just about open at boiling point its the type of stat with an extention on the back, 'valve disk,! which appears to cover a tube indide the manifold, Does it have to be the same as the original or can i fit the more common one? Have back flushed heater, rad and block, and replaced the front hose from filler tank down to bottom rad and pump spout,  no blockages that i can find, but heater matrix had lot of crap!  looks like the stat, Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 20th, 2013, 4:35pm »

Well, not good news! i fitted a new stat, reset by disconnecting the battery, cleand plugs etc. took it our for a spin, got about 400 yards, then i could hear the grumbling again! so pulled over, and could see from a distance that the small overflow tube, that there was superheated steam blasting out! So the car seems to be very dangerous now, bit like a bomb! the drivers side rocker box was hotter than the other, tried to cool it down with water but it was incredibly hot! Any ideas anyone please, what could be wrong? anyone heard of this before?
Cheers Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 20th, 2013, 7:09pm »

Bob.
Did you run the engine with the filler cap off after you had initially filled it ?.This lets trapped air escape and allows the coolant to enter all parts of the cooling system and heater,thus the level will drop and allows you to top up to the correct level.I had several 12v funeral vehicles,and found this virtually always to be the problem.They are a very hardy cast iron lump,and are difficult to cook,unlike all the others with alloy heads.
            GOZZ.
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 20th, 2013, 7:37pm »

Hi GOZZ, Thanks, Yes i did, and i topped it up by quite an amount, but the problem is still there, i can't drive it far (perhaps 300 metres)  before it starts blasting out steam!
My next step was to connect my compression tester to measure all compression readings to see if there may be a clue, such as a crack between cylinders or heads, But GUNSONS gauge wont fit Ford!! How rediculous is that!  
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 2:55pm »

Obviously a strange problem, i hope to do a compression test later, see if i get any clue!
Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
leewar

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 4:00pm »

Fitting a genuine thermostat is best, it has a small hole in it which when fitted is located at the top. Sure sounds like an air lock!! There was a post showing a tube hung high up to extract the air hooked up to the bonnet when filling.
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 4:33pm »

Thanks mate, i did drill the new stat, surprised it did not have a hole! i am wondering how it would run i-e without the problems if i ran it with no stat! that may prove something!
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 23rd, 2013, 10:02pm »

Just to update, All compression figures good, The new stat, no good!  will test the car tomorow with no stat, Then buy a Ford Stat if it runs ok! Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 9:17am »

on Jul 23rd, 2013, 4:00pm, leewar wrote:
Fitting a genuine thermostat is best, it has a small hole in it which when fitted is located at the top. Sure sounds like an air lock!! There was a post showing a tube hung high up to extract the air hooked up to the bonnet when filling.

Lee...... This is the famous Johnnycab method  Shocked Shocked

Described Here Grin
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 2:02pm »

Thanks SIMMO, Tried that too, the engine appears to run a bit smoother, less erratic, but with no stat in at all After running for around 20 minutes the water starts spraying steam out of the overflow pipe, or the bleed pipe from the return pipe to tank! Just a reminder that when the car started to break down and smell hot or overheat, all was fine at about 50mph round some country lanes, However When the engine is running now, it seems to stutter and make a groaning noise back into the air filter, only on the front pipe of the 2 from the air filter, i wonder if a cat converter may be blocked! Anyone tell me the symptoms of a blocked cat please? Thanks Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 2:42pm »

Lack of power although possibly not as noticeable with a 2 cat setup.  
Other model cars that I've heard sound like they're working hard but a bit muffled with a load hissing noise. Get someone to listen to you drive by as it may not be so obvious to you whilst driving.

See here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/faults_rattle.htm
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 3:23pm »

I am watching this problem and hope we all find the problem as I pick up a 2.9 24v tomorrow which sounds as if it has the same if not very similar problems. That problem might be one of the other things mentioned on this thread so I will do everything that has been done and suggested here.
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 3:24pm »

Oh I might add that is it me or are these vehicles all dying in this heat? lol
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 3:31pm »

Nope - mine was rock solid - right in the middle of the temp gauge - sat in traffic driving up the prom this afternoon
IP Logged
ro284

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 4:54pm »

Thanks for that link Tompion. I did notice a lack in power, but not huge, i thought it was misfiring! (Does not tick over easily!) also has a rattle, and there seems to be a slight whistle from near ignition coil area! which i wrongly thought was in intake tube but very faint and difficult to tell what it is, At least i do know that it is not the Stat! Another symptom from today, is it dumped all the water somewhere!! I think from what ive read it may be one of the cats, So the next job is take them off, i dont know if when running the broke cat would be hotter or cooler than the good one! if ive got a good one! Bob
IP Logged

Bob Dorset
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 7:28pm »

Which prom Amigafan?
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 24th, 2013, 10:35pm »

Bob.
The 12v has a siamese exhaust,whereby the front pipes are connected before the cat which is on a single pipe,the original cat is a twin 'one behind the other' arrangement as against the 24v ( Cossie) which has a cat in each front pipe.The pattern part replacement for the 12v has only one cat chamber which has the necessary effect on emissions.They are not very expensive either,see good old ebay.As Tompion asks re power loss,if the cat is blocked you would have difficulty making progress with a 12v,however a collapsing cat will make a very disconcerting rattle.Did you take Matt's advice and check the coolant flow through the rad ? It is unusual to have an obstructed rad on a 'modern' car,but not unheard of,dependent on previous owner's care and maintenance  Roll Eyes  Does the beat of the exhaust at the tail pipe sound/feel normal and unobstructed at idle ? does the engine overheat when left idling for a lengthy period ? these things are pointers to finding your problem.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.