Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:09am

Balance: Ł16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Cosworth oily air filter »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Cosworth oily air filter
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cosworth oily air filter  (Read 4232 times)
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Cosworth oily air filter
« on: Oct 28th, 2013, 3:24pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Sorry to ask this as I am sure someone else did a few months ago.
I have just gone to change my air filter and found oil in the bottom of the box the air filter goes in. I assume it is coming from the pipe that disappears round the back of the engine.
Can I stop this oil from getting into the air filter or does it mean I need to replace something?

Thanks Andy
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Cosworth oily air filter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28th, 2013, 3:55pm »

Andy. I am not familiar with the Cosworth BUT in the air filter box of the 2.0ltr there is a small square of sponge/foam in a pocket where the breather tube comes in. This certainly gets sooty/oily and is presumably designed to stop these deposits from getting to the filter itself. Worth a check as often it is overlooked and neglected to a point where it is just a crumbly mess!. The worst case scenario would seem to be that oil is getting past the rings and is a sign of wear. Let's hope not!. Huh
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 28th, 2013, 8:10pm »

I concur, but I think it's a crude air filter, not an oil trap necessarily. Isn't the crankcase supposed to be under slight vacuum from the inlet manifold by some valve gadget or other, to prevent it blowing oil out? My filter box was always bone dry, but did have to replace the bit of foam, it disintegrated so I cut a bit off some plastic sponge that was used for packing.

HTH
IP Logged

Mike H
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2013, 8:31pm »

Same here
My air filter box had some milky coloured gunge in it so I took off the rubber hose and "valve gadget" and cleaned the whole lot with paraffin, cut a new piece of sponge and put it all back together. That was about 3 years ago and it has been bone dry ever since.

Tony
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 28th, 2013, 10:57pm »

My 2 litre used to be bone dry in the air filter box. I will try and pull it all apart over the next few days if we get some good weather. Thanks
IP Logged
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Oct 29th, 2013, 4:43pm »

Hi Andy,
I put this up about a year ago. Could be caused by worn rings as Simmo says but as mine has only done 90k hopefully not that.

As Tenfut says, it could be a gummed up PCV and tubes so worth giving a clean out. They should be drawing a slight vacuum when running a warm engine (auto box in 'P') so can just lift off the crankcase and put your thumb over it to check.  

(The PCV is under the top cover, on top and towards rear of nearside crankcase - it just lifts off)

The PCV could have failed - another way to test this is to remove it from the tube and shake it up/down - you should hear a rattle if it's OK (if not then could be duff but worth a clean 1st). Failed PCV can cause oil and water to accumulate in bottom of filter box (which is what I had). If it is duff and you want a new 1 it'll have to be either from the forum or an aftermarket version (they are available) as Ford no longer seem to stock them. Mine still rattled but as I had a spare I swapped it over anyway.

Also, it'll be worth giving the MAF a clean.

As a replacement return filter I use those little kitchen cleaners (green pad with foam backing) cut to size - probably get 4 out of 1 pad.

What originally brought this to my attention was my MOT engine exhaust readings - they had always been practically zero but the CO levels were suddenly reading high (but still passable). I did a scan and could see that the post cat sensor (bank 2) was on it's way out - it eventually flatlined. Not sure if this caused/contributed to the problem or just coincidence. I replaced the sensor. Due it's MOT in 4 weeks so will see what happens.  

UPDATE 22 Nov: MOT passed, idle CO now 0.18% (0.29% last year), all other emission readings practically zero.

Have you scanned your car recently? Check your oil filler cap - is the neck clean or is there oil blowing past it? Do you do mainly short runs? When's the MOT due?

HTH. Keep us updated.

Paul

IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 29th, 2013, 7:02pm »

Hi Paul the mot is overdue as it is on my drive awaiting a waterpump so not moving at the moment and only done around 111,000. It has been serviced on time by a garage from the previous owner but the more I look at it the more I realise that the garage had no idea what they were doing. She has not had a scan that I know of and I can't get one done till it has been moted lol.
I will try and check all the things out that you have said if we get some reasonable weather.

Thanks Andy
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 1st, 2013, 6:37pm »

Hi - it's perfectly normal.

You can see it's a bit "oily" in my pic below:-

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/amigafan2003/IMAG0354_zpsa574b1b8. jpg~original

The pipe connects to the block and it's designed to vent block blow by gasses into the inlet tract to be burnt by the engine - naturally these blow by gasses carry a bit of oil vapour which can get deposited in the bottom of the air box/on one corner of the air filter.  Obviously, excessive oil can be a sign of worn piston rings but a little is ok.
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 1st, 2013, 8:07pm »

Ha ha your airfilter is in the way lol. There only seems to be a small amount  but the engine has been playing up as the plug leads were shorting out but all ok now with a new set.

I have ordered a new waterpump and hope they send the right one.

Then got to fit it with new belts and thermostat and get a new windscreen then off for a mot.

Problem is some nice person stole all my metric sockets and spanners when I moved along with a lot of other stuff.
IP Logged
Mike H

Renault Clio

View Profile WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 2nd, 2013, 2:58pm »

Oh feck  Shocked

IP Logged

Mike H
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 2nd, 2013, 6:08pm »

That was why I was looking for a new supply
IP Logged
rixivee

2.3i 16v Granada mk3

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 10th, 2013, 6:15pm »

I've found out this often happens because of blocked PCV. Blocked PCV can be caused by somekind of engine failure and it can lead to even further engine problems. If theres excessive amount of oil, it's certainly something that you should take a look at.

Is there any other "weird" symptoms? What happens when you take the off the oil filler cap off while it's running? How's the idle? PCV-fault often causes "wtf"-themed idle problems.
IP Logged

Ford Granada mk3 2.3i 16v DOHC in the making..
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.