Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 6:10am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Permanently Locked Tailgate »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Permanently Locked Tailgate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Permanently Locked Tailgate  (Read 2188 times)
brds

View Profile Email

Permanently Locked Tailgate
« on: Dec 7th, 2013, 4:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My Tailgate is permanently locked. I'm getting a fault Code: B1551 - Liftgate release circuit short to ground. This seems reasonable in the circumstances.
Before I start pulling the tailgate apart and getting technical with wiring diagrams, has anybody else had the same fault?
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Permanently Locked Tailgate
« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 4:55pm »

Has the key ever worked? The estate may be different; with the saloon only the fob & the button rely on battery power to open the boot the key is purely mechanical. If the button is partly stuck in you won’t be able to turn the key so try working some WD40 around the button and pulling the button out with the key.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2013, 9:30am »

The main difference with the Estate Tailgate is that,because of the design, it gets smothered in dirt all the time especially in the winter with road salt etc. Tompion is correct in that the first step is to soak it in WD40 and try and get a 'mechanical' movement on the button. The other thing to remember is that with the estate the wiring for the electrics in the tailgate passes through the rubber grommet in the top offside corner by the hinge. Smiley Equally you need to persevere with this approach as to reach the 'innards' you need to remove the cover inside and that is secured along the bottom of the tailgate apart from elesewhere. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2013, 12:48pm »

Thanks Guys. A liberal application of WD40 and 3In1 fixed it.
The button was very stiff and I had to pull quite hard with the key - probably because the car was off the road for a year.
Fault code now cleared OK but could have been very misleading - sometimes we can get too technical.
Bob
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 8th, 2013, 1:59pm »

Good to hear you are sorted Bob. Thanks for letting us know. It has often been said that these codes are all right BUT sometimes it doesn't actually tell you what is causing it!. The best example is the ABS system which says the motor is not functioning when actually, as Tompion discovered. it is a fautly soldered joint on the PCB causing a lack of power to the unit.  Wink The motor is actually OK.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 8th, 2013, 2:26pm »

I often have up to 4 codes relating to the boot locking but I'm not aware of there having been a problem. I put it down to the fact I frequently lock the car before closing the boot.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
georgeodyphotos

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Dec 12th, 2013, 3:05pm »

Neither my 2.3 Ultima or my previous Cosworth ever allowed me to open the tailgate with the key. The buttons don't move either. They seem to be welded in position. I will try WD 40 and see what happens.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.