Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 1:51pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Petrol Tank strap »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Petrol Tank strap
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Petrol Tank strap  (Read 3361 times)
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Petrol Tank strap
« on: Feb 14th, 2014, 9:00am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I wondered what the draging sound was  Huh My wife shouted "There is something hanging down at the back".  And so there was/still is  Cry:  The off side Petrol Tank Strap has snapped on my sons M reg. 2.9, 12 valve Scorpio Saloon.  "Okay". I thought  , "I will order one." Part Co. don't do them so I rang Ford in Taunton, to be told that the nearside strap is 25 pounds plus VAT whilst the offside strap is 87pounds plus VAT. Total for the offside strap;  102. 66pounds! He said he could not even try to defend the price, truly shocked he was. I was perfectly calm about it, of course.

What is so special about the offside petrol tank strap?  

Faint hearted and despairing.

Mike

Huh
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Petrol Tank strap
« Reply #1 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 10:37am »

The petrol tank strap should be just a flat strip with a hook on 1 end and a hole for a fixing bolt on the other.
Well known for rusting through underneath the tank. How a replacement part can cost so much is not clear.
I had to replace the tank straps on a Mk2 Granada estate ages ago and I know they were expensive even back then.  
You can probably salvage the ends and get a strip of mild steel welded to them or you could try drilling some holes and bolting a new piece in or maybe a few pop rivets ?
Make sure any fixing don't rub the bottom of the tank or you'll soon have a new problem...  Shocked
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 10:38am »

Mike.
Presumably the offside strap is or was the faster moving stock item,so Ford see bigger profits from it  Roll Eyes If you have a problem getting a used one,and of course these are the type of thing people don't keep by them,I would remove what's left of the old one and weld a piece on the outside of the damaged part.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 12:08pm »

I don't know what is so special about a metal strap and I don't have the knowledge or kit to weld. However surely you can shape something up and I have used These to do various tasks and thought you may be able to do so in this case. They are tough but can be shaped with a bit of leverage and a hammer.  Wink
This may help. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
shooshyneman

3 x 2.5TD estates.  Then there were no scorpios

View Profile WWW

« Reply #4 on: Feb 14th, 2014, 1:16pm »

I fashioned metal strip and pop reveted it in. Placing some rubber innertube under the strap so that  heads wouldn't damage the tank
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2014, 12:28pm »

I had exactly the same thing and just fashioned a replacement with 3mm thick/25mm wide stainless strips bought off ebay (make sure they are at least 750mm long).  Fold one end over through the "hook" end (towards the front of the car) and bend the other end through 90 deg and drill an 8mm hole.  

You'll probably find the retaining bolt that secure the strap at the back of the car has seized and shears the captive nut so be prepared to remove the rear bumper to cut the bolt off and fit a new one.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2014, 9:08am »

Smiley.  Thank you all for all your advice. Gratefully taken on board and I'll see what is what when I get the time and weather to have a go.  

Mike   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.