Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Heater matrix »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Heater matrix
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Heater matrix  (Read 4148 times)
rob_reznik

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

Heater matrix
« on: Mar 21st, 2014, 4:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Took the Limo (2.9 12V) for a spin and everything running fine with nice temperature since fitting new thermostat then screen suddenly misted up - cleared it and drove home - some coolant missing and looking underneath the car could see water appearing from under front seat area - am I assuming correctly I need a new Heater Matrix? - just confused why there is water underneath and not inside?  
IP Logged

Rob

http://www.russianmilitarytrucks.com/phpBB3/index.php
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Heater matrix
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21st, 2014, 6:31pm »

Was the water coolant? if the water drain under the battery is blocked it can appear in the footwell going through the fuse box there.
IP Logged
rob_reznik

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #2 on: Mar 21st, 2014, 8:51pm »

far too much water for the drainage issue - I put two ltrs in the header tank and would say at least the same amount came out underneath - as I had just drained the water to change the thermostat I cant be 100% sure as I hadn't put any antifreeze in but what else could have caused the screen to mist up? Ironically I also fitted a new battery today and have cleared the two drain plugs that block but there wasn't much water that came out.
IP Logged

Rob

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 21st, 2014, 10:18pm »

well you answered yur own question lol it is either the matrix or the rubber pipe to it and I believe both are a pig to do as you have to take all the dash and centre console out and stand on your head.

http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/matrix.htm
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 21st, 2014, 11:56pm »

Rob.
If the matrix is busted the coolant will trickle onto the front carpets and you will smell the coolant,if the aircon condensate drains are blocked a smaller amount of clear water may appear on the carpets in addition to a temporary misting.
When refilling the cooling system it is usual to have to run the engine and top up as the airlocks disperse,then when the engine is cold,top up again.
Bear in mind that Coleman Milne fitted a rear compartment heater using copper tubing running under the carpets,when refilling the system it is best to open the electro pneumatic valve controlled from the dash and located on the nearside low down near the back of the engine,to allow circulation,you need the fan on and the green light on the button showing.
Those engines are the toughest of all Scorpio units,and a head gasket failure is virtually unknown,they are all cast iron,therefore the heads are totally compatible with the block,I have had them come home singing like a kettle when a hose,usually a heater hose has split,but have never had head problems.You obviously need to check from exactly whence the water came.
IP Logged
rob_reznik

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #5 on: Mar 22nd, 2014, 6:32pm »

after just over 3 hours to remove dash etc. found the problem - tiny hole in matrix - will get a new one Monday and refit - what a pain I think the whole car was built around the Matrix !!!

IP Logged

Rob

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 22nd, 2014, 8:11pm »

Ah well better to find the problem now rather than on your journey.
IP Logged
rob_reznik

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #7 on: Mar 22nd, 2014, 9:58pm »

100% correct - in fact it was probably my fault it happened - after fitting the new thermostat I put a flushing agent in the system and after a couple of hours cleared it out and that's when the problem started - I suppose there's a chance someone before put 'K' seal in or something - happy I found it now though and will spend the next 3 months trying to sort everything else out
IP Logged

Rob

gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 22nd, 2014, 11:13pm »

I see that you are a man of patience and determination,just the values required to run the Scorpio  Cool The eventual recipient of your car will never know the aggravation and effort involved  Roll Eyes Presumably you discovered that the steering wheel can be lowered AND pulled outwards for easier dash removal.
                                            Good luck
                                              GOZZ.
IP Logged
rob_reznik

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #9 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 12:00am »

on Mar 22nd, 2014, 11:13pm, gozz wrote:
Presumably you discovered that the steering wheel can be lowered AND pulled outwards for easier dash removal.

GOZZ.

yep - I had a quick read of the excellent instructions on matrix removal which pointed that out - previously I only though it went up and down! - is there anything else I could/should look out for or change whilst the dash is out and everything exposed? - I think there is maybe still a rad fan issue - when I switch the climate control on the A/C comes on straight away (even if 'Hi' temp is selected) and so does the rad fan - when I switch the A/C off the fan still stays on - any thoughts?
IP Logged

Rob

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 7:34am »

The aircon is supposed to come on as soon as you turn the  climate control on as it blows cold air onto the windscreen and along the side windows to stop them misting up.  
As for the rad fan have a look at this as it might help.
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/coolfans.htm
IP Logged
rob_reznik

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #11 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 8:16am »

Thanks - thats another useful page - looks like my system maybe working OK then but as I always switched the A/C off as soon as the Climate Control is on I dont really know 100% - I do know the A/C needs gassing up but as I never use it apart from demisting in the winter I'm not going to bother unless it affects the fans - will get it re-gassed over in Asia where it only costs about £10 Grin
IP Logged

Rob

Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 9:26am »

If you bookmark that page you will be able to navigate around from the side bar and find other info and how to tips by pressing the up button till you get to the main page once there at the bottom there is a search bar.

With the dash out I would check all the wiring as a precaution.

Like you I have a ton of work to do on my scorpio and as soon as you start one repair you find another one needs doing that you didn't know about lol.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 9:36am »

on Mar 23rd, 2014, 9:26am, Andycan wrote:
If you bookmark that page you will be able to navigate around from the side bar and find other info and how to tips by pressing the up button till you get to the main page once there at the bottom there is a search bar.

The quick way to get to the 'Search' facility is to click on FORD SCORPIO at the top of any page and it will take you to the front page and the 'search' box. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 23rd, 2014, 11:01am »

Whilst you’re at it clean the back of the evaporator, I posted a picture here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Advice;action=di splay;num=1314380354;start=1#1

As you have the heater box out check the condition of the diverter flaps that are directly over the matrix. They have a big hole where the middle has been bent up at 90 degrees, it is only covered in foam with a thin adhesive membrane. If the foam breaks down hot air will seep through when set to cold & visa versa.

Finding the correct matrix for the CC versions is difficult, chances are you’ll have to use a shorter one and pack the end out with foam or polystyrene. You need one without a bulging flange at the end where you show the pin-hole.
It should be the same size for the whole length. If you have to use the type with the bulge, to get it in you’ll need to enlarge the hole in the middle division of the box that divides the passenger & driver sides – that will mean the dual temp controls don’t work as they should, but probably not that important.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
rob_reznik

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile WWW

« Reply #15 on: May 13th, 2014, 11:51pm »

Just wanted to say this was completed a few weeks ago and was a complete success - fiddly job that took about 6 hours in total and only 1 screw left over so not too bad! Had to modify the heater matrix as I could only get the slightly shorter one.
IP Logged

Rob

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.