Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:33am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 2.3 'tinging' noise »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   2.3 'tinging' noise
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 2.3 'tinging' noise  (Read 4747 times)
mk1_matt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

2.3 'tinging' noise
« on: Jun 2nd, 2014, 10:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Can anyone help please! I have a few problems the first being a 'tinging' noise from the engine. Its not anything i have heard before. I dont think its timing chain related as its not really a rattle. On idle the noise is promenant but not regular, everything seems to behave ok and the engine pulls well but this noise is a bit unnerving. At higher rpm it is more frequent but still not rythmic and no louder, almost like something 'floating' around. It sounds likt its from the top/front of the engine......any ideas. It has a new exhaust front to back including cat so thats ruled out.
I also have a water leak from the rear of the engine but after some searching on here that sounds like a split matrix pipe so i'll tackle that at the weekend, im just miffed by this noise i have! Help.

Cheers

Matt
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: 2.3 'tinging' noise
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3rd, 2014, 7:14am »

The first place to look is at the the heat shield 'cowling' attached to the exhaust manifold. It is made up of two sections bolted and screwed together. If it has not been correctly fitted it will either bounce on the exhaust or 'jangle about'. I'd bet money on that particularly if you've just had the cat  and exhaust done. Wink

Have a look at This and scroll to Para.16. That shows the unit and says it's three sections.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
mk1_matt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 3rd, 2014, 8:42am »

Thank you for your reply Smiley alas its not that, that all seems secure. It definitely seems 'internal'
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 3rd, 2014, 10:07pm »

When was the last time the rocker-box was off?   There is a  metal baffle plate on the underside of the rocker-box, the 2l I had it was a bit loose and rattled a bit.   It was more of a rattle than a tinging.   Also under the rocker-box is a plate that runs across the top of the two sprockets on the camshaft ends, it runs under the camchain, this plate has been known to come slightly loose.   It's held on with nylocks, but I've seen two cars with these loose, and they do 'ting' a bit.   Taking the rocker off is no great problem, and I reckon must be worth a look, leave the plugs IN!

Peter
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2014, 1:02am »

Hi Matt, does it sound like it's from the front of the engine? If so, it could be a loose item (nut/bolt/whatever) "dancing" on the cam chain. I had the exact same thing on another car. It (a spacer the previous owner missed) snapped the cam belt eventually, once it got caught in just the right (wrong!) place. I wondered what it was for quite some time. Sometimes you could hear it easily, other times not a d i c k y bird. I dread to think what damage it could do to a chain driven system! If you're not sure, it's worth checking!
Good luck,
Graham
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 4th, 2014, 1:09am »

d i c k y is ok but take the spaces out and its thingyy  (a thingy with a y)   I got it, eventually. Oh innocent me lol!!!    Roll Eyes    Grin
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 4th, 2014, 9:20am »

on Jun 4th, 2014, 1:09am, GrahamT wrote:
d i c k y is ok but take the spaces out and its thingyy  (a thingy with a y)   I got it, eventually. Oh innocent me lol!!!    Roll Eyes    Grin

Very q u e e r these Americans  Grin
IP Logged
mk1_matt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 4th, 2014, 3:59pm »

Thanks for your replies! It's definitely a metalic noise, the only thing i can liken it to, i had an old mk5 transit and the exhaust bracket on the crossmember broke and rattled about with a metalic sound. (My completely useless description of the day) I'll certainly have a look at the baffle plate, thanks! I've certainly never had the cam cover off of it, new set of plugs is the closest i have come to that. Is it easy enough to have a look around at the cam chain?
this is all a bit new this chain malarky im used to nice unreliable belts!! Smiley
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 4th, 2014, 10:59pm »

Just take the rocker off.   Piece of piss.   'Gently-Bentley' with the screws, and it won't just lift-off so, a couple of taps on the casing in various places and 'listen' for the difference in the 'sound' when you tap the casing with a rubber-mallet.  (Aye,   taps!)   The seals might be ok as well, so just clean them up and hold them aside till replacement.   Now look at the internals of the underside of the rocker-box, you'll see a 'plate', is it tight?   Check other obvious items attached to the 'Cylinder-Head', are they tight?   Look and inspect the Camshaft and chain, check for play according to the manual.   You'll see the tension 'protector' I was referring to in a previous post.  A lot of our friends on here might be very unhappy about what I would next suggest, but,..............risking the oil mess, (they'll be a lot)  (and remembering the camshaft sensor)  I'd run the car JUST FOR A FEW SECONDS and listen for your noise.   There WILL be oil everywhere!   Just run for a few seconds remember!      
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 5th, 2014, 1:30am »

on Jun 4th, 2014, 3:59pm, mk1_matt wrote:
Is it easy enough to have a look around at the cam chain?

The top is much easier but it's not too difficult. It does mean a lot of dismantling at the front end. There are 2 covers. The top cover might be easy enough on it's own?? here's a piccy of my 2.0L 8v transit (RIP) stripped down.  

I think the 2.3 is the same. Mine is tucked away at the moment so I can't check.
As a bonus (!) you can check the condition of the guides etc.
Good luck,
Graham
IP Logged
GrahamT

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 6th, 2014, 1:01am »

Just had a thought earlier today, have you tried removing the drive belt to eliminate the alternator and pumps?
That's a quick and easy check to do.
IP Logged
mk1_matt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10th, 2014, 9:37am »

Im going to tackle this later so i shall keep you posted! Doesnt look too scary thank goodness. Again, thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully it is something simple like a waterpump!
IP Logged
mk1_matt

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 24th, 2014, 8:49pm »

Thank you for your replies, the noise is solved and i feel a bit daft lol. I armed myself with an array of tools, removed the aux belt and had a fiddle around, it turns out there is a washer type thing (sorry bad description) between the block and the bottom pulley, its just rattling around behind the pulley! Im not exactly sure whether its supposed to be attached to the pulley or the block but thats the cause of the d**n noise! Ive yet to dig in and sort the coolant leak but at least i do t have a terminal rattle.
IP Logged
PJDavis

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Jun 25th, 2014, 9:09am »

Good man for getting back to us and letting us know.   Knowledge is power of course!
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.