Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:34pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« "Sticky" TPS? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   "Sticky" TPS?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: "Sticky" TPS?  (Read 1404 times)
Magnusf

1996 Scorpio 24v Ghia Estate

View Profile

"Sticky" TPS?
« on: Sep 14th, 2014, 10:55pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi there!

Apart from a few other codes (see older posts), I've also had DTC's regarding low TPS readings on my 24v in the past. Using the Alex P OBD-lead I confirmed some 2-3% at idle and very low readings at full throttle as well.

Today I thought I'd try resetting the TPS by disconnecting the battery for several minutes. And to my surprise when testing again, just ignition on, engine off, the readings were quite good! 16,4% at idle, raising to about 84,6% at full throttle. Looking at he Graph tab showed it following the throttle pedal movement resonably accurate. Then I started the engine and it got worse again, much worse. Idle was now back at 2-3%, revving it up gave perhaps 65-ish %.  I took the car for a short testdrive, and it actually improved a little bit, showing 8-9% at idle and 70-ish % full throttle, but nowhere near perfect.

I got no DTC's at all this time, but that was probably down to the fact that I didn't drive far enough/for long enough time for all tests to complete I guess?

So...what is going on? Isn't the TPS broken after all? Is it just "sticky" and needs a good clean? My garage is a bit of a mess at the moment because I've been painting walls and celing, but I really must clean it up now and take a look at the actual TP sensor and wiring.

If I decide to remove it and clean it I suspect it is advisable to disconnect battery once again to have it properly reset?

Cheers  
 Magnus
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: "Sticky" TPS?
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15th, 2014, 8:30pm »

Just fit a new one, they aren't expensive:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAND-NEW-FORD-MONDEO-SCORPIO-TRANSIT-THROTTLE -POSITION-SENSOR-TPS19929-/290876484393?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b996eb29

Confirm that fits your car first though, just incase I've made a mistake (I don't know if you've got a Cosworth, 2.3, diesel etc).
IP Logged
gozz

Been around awhile

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 16th, 2014, 11:25am »

That is a 16v TPS,the 24v is very different.
IP Logged
Dave2302

2006 Mercedes S55 AMG, Retired Barefoot Waterskier

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2014, 9:15am »

I had this on my Cosworth Engine, changed TPS, problem went away.

Not worth cleaning in my opinion as they move so much in their lifetime that the tracks wear out, so cleaning it would have a very short lived cure if any Wink

HTH

Cheers Dave
IP Logged

Dave "The 'ol Bear" ex Footer !
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.