Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 8:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Complete loss of drive in "D" setting »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Complete loss of drive in "D" setting
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Complete loss of drive in "D" setting  (Read 1432 times)
Matt63

4 x 24v Ultimas - looking for more!

View Profile

Complete loss of drive in "D" setting
« on: Nov 18th, 2015, 9:13am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've had my oldest 24V since 2001, no problems at all ever apart from occasional flat batteries and the tyres not keeping their pressures.

However in yesterday's rain I had driven a short distance, parked up and went to a couple of shops, then returned to the car and started the engine.

Immediately I knew something was wrong, the engine was misfiring badly.  I engaged reverse and it kangeroo hopped backwards across the car park.  Engaged drive (D on the gearbox) and it would not engage the gear at all.  Eventually managed to hop home with the traction control off, and using the manual gears 1 and 2.  It would take about 60 seconds to get up to about 20 mph, by which time I would meet another car on the narrow roads, have to stop to pass, and then have great difficulty pulling away again.  The O/D off light flashes on and off slowly on the dashboard at all times.

Parked up, left it overnight, tried this morning with the same problems, I can reverse, I can just about pull away in 1, I can get a little faster in 2, but the D setting has no drive at all.

Any ideas, or is it "the end" of another faithful Scorpio?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Complete loss of drive in "D" settin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18th, 2015, 10:25am »

Matt. In view of the weather yesterday and the engine misfire have you looked into the possibility that the problems could be either wiring or fusebox related? I would have thought that a sudden and almost terminal gearbox failure would have been been preceeded by other warning signs?.  Undecided
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Nov 18th, 2015, 11:37am »

Check the easy stuff first - ATF fluid level / colour / smell.
If fluid level is low check for leaks - the prime suspect has to be the pipework & cooler behind the front bumper under the radiator.

Does sound like it could be electrical related - the old cracking insulation problem + heavy rain could have caused sorts in the loom and maybe stopping solenoids from engaging correctly Huh
Also check the fusebox for water ingress.

Time for an OBD check to see if that throws anything up.

IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Matt63

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Nov 18th, 2015, 1:18pm »

Thanks for the replies, it had occurred to me that water had got into the electrics somehow.  The car is not used much in the winter, and I had only driven it yesterday in order to keep the battery charge up.  There were certainly no gearbox warning signs in the first part of my drive yesterday, but I had noticed it was running a little hot, which I had cured by driving a little faster!  I'll let it dry out and then check the obvious as suggested.  Thanks again.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Nov 18th, 2015, 4:39pm »

Matt. The aditional information may be a clue. Have look at coolant concerns Here. I hope it is not related but you should see by the state of the autobox oil and a drop in coolant level if it is. Sad
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 18th, 2015, 7:03pm »

If I might put my worth in.   After many years of Scorpio ownership, I've come to the conclusion it's best to USE the car than anything-else.   If I leave mine for even as little as a week, there are all-sorts of problems occur!   Mine has 125k and starts and runs like a dream, but it can be very fickle if left for a week.   I use an 'Optimate' when 'Movvy' isn't in use, at least it keeps the battery powerful.   Everything suffers when it's not in use, Brakes, oil, you name it!   So my advice is use the car.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
Matt63

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2015, 10:58am »

Even though it has not stopped raining yet, I have good news to report, the coolant is ok but there is a missing belt.  It's the smaller of the two belts behind the radiator, it's the one lower down and to the right as you face the engine.  Can anyone assist with a part number?

Also, is it something a mechanic friend could fit or does it need to get to a garage?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2015, 11:46am »

Matt, Have a look at This page and scroll down to the 24v. Part numbers are there together with a diagram. Wink

An old post by HighlanderHere may also be of help in that the diagrams are larger. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2015, 2:05pm »

on Nov 24th, 2015, 10:58am, Matt63 wrote:
Even though it has not stopped raining yet, I have good news to report, the coolant is ok but there is a missing belt.  It's the smaller of the two belts behind the radiator, it's the one lower down and to the right as you face the engine.  Can anyone assist with a part number?

Also, is it something a mechanic friend could fit or does it need to get to a garage?

Sounds like the belt for the air con compressor.  It's an 'easy' but fiddly 15 minute job - most of it struggling with the strength of the pulley tensioner AND trying to avoid losing the skin on your knuckles. I always put on gardening gloves when doing mine (and find new ways to string expletives together).

The finis no is 7082866. Be sure any alternative make is specified for the Cosworth.

But why is it missing? A problem with the compressor or the pulley (does the wheel spin freely?) maybe? Or some other part of the air con system?
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Matt63

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Nov 24th, 2015, 4:07pm »

Thanks for all the help, I've now ordered the air con belt, the cooling belt looked near to the end of life so I've ordered that as well.

One of the advantages of having more than one Scorpio is that you can look at the others and I can see that all my others have had new belts fitted.
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Nov 24th, 2015, 4:26pm »

You might find a wedge useful. Pedropedro made one up and I can confirm that it works well having used one myself. In fact I carry one in the toolbox.
More of the same Here
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25th, 2015, 12:23pm »

If the Compressor is starting to seize it will cause a huge drag on the engine and, on my 24 Valve Scorps, stalling concerns tick over problems and starting problems, not to mention driving probs.  I removed the Compressor belts on both cars and all problems were resolved.  I recon that finally your belt snapped. and suggest that you try her out before you fit a new Compressor belt. Driving without this belt will not harm anything.

My only problem is that my dearest and nearest - she wot looks after me - hates Air Con. so I have not replaced the Compressors, ah well.

Good luck  

Mike     Smiley
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Nov 25th, 2015, 12:44pm »

Another thought; back in the summer on a very hot day we got into a serious traffic jam on the A303 - stop start - move 50yds - wait and so on for nearly 2 hours.  Eventually the O/D light came on then  she lost drive in D, luckily we were at a standstill so I took her into P and gave her a few revs. the temp guage which had not entered the red came down a bit and when the traffic moved I put her into D with no further problems.  However,  what I did do was to put her into P when we again came to a standstill.  I recon that keeping her in D in those circumstances caused the Autobox to overheat causing a cut-out safety thingy to disengage the drive till temps returned to operating perameters.

By the way the cooling fans were operating okay as far as I could tell.

Mike   Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.