Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 6:31pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Help 1996 Scorpio ultima »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Help 1996 Scorpio ultima
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Help 1996 Scorpio ultima  (Read 3825 times)
jls1936

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Help 1996 Scorpio ultima
« on: Mar 16th, 2016, 5:00pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was driving to Nantwich on the M6 on Monday and the car was running great. After about 30 miles I noticed that the temp gauge had hardly moved. After another 10 miles or so it went to the normal position dead on 3 o'clock. Another 10 miles and the gauge was down almost on the blue line.
 I got to my hotel and parked up. I was going home today, started the car up and put it in reverse , it was vibrating a lot and noisy. I checked all levels and they were ok. I decided to carry on and drive home. The temp gauge stayed on blue for 30 miles then gradually went to normal. and then went back down again. I got home checked all levels again and they were ok, but when I select reverse I get a lot of noise and vibration and the car just doesn't feel right. I left the engine running for about half an hour idling about 950 revs and the gauge goes back to normal and stayed like that. Has anyone else experienced this.
Regards
jls1936
IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

Re: Help 1996 Scorpio ultima
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16th, 2016, 9:20pm »

Not had the reverse problem but exactly the same temp gauge problem on my 2.9 16v and it was a faulty temp sensor.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2016, 12:09am »

I suspect the 2 issues aren’t related.
The temperature problem could be a faulty thermostat.

There is a problem with a sticking valve in the autobox that can occur where it only fires on 2 cylinders if you put it straight into reverse in cold weather. My previous Scorpio did it for years/thousands of miles.
I always backed onto my drive so I didn’t have to use reverse straight off.
If I ever needed to reverse first thing of a cold morning I’d select drive & run the engine for a couple of minutes before selecting reverse & it would be fine.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Mar 17th, 2016, 8:38am »

There is an article on the temperature gauge Here. Whilst the effects on yours are different it may be a clue. I'd go with Glyn and suggest that the sender unit is u/s. Note there are two. IIRC the gauge one has only one wire?. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
jls1936

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 1:55pm »

I took the car in to my local garage, they found that the ignition loom had shorted due to bare wires touching and damaged the coils. They can get replacement coils from Ford dealer but no looms are available! They are contacting an auto electrician to see if he can make up a new loom.
jls 1936
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 2:39pm »

I find it strange that the car was running well before and after the temperature gauge and yet suddenly the coils are damaged??. Have you dealt with these people before??. Huh

They either didn't know what to ask for or didn't look very hard either. Look at This page. There are two looms shown. I suspect one is for the 2.0Lr and one for the 2.3 as there is a minor difference. The same site has the coils but I would tread carefully here! I'll be interested to see what other members have to say on the issue.
 Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 2:44pm »

FordpartsUK still show the fuel shut-off loom as being available.  
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 2:47pm »

Thanks Mike. Just amended my post after a search. What's your view on the 'diagnosis'? Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 4:38pm »

on Mar 18th, 2016, 2:47pm, Simmo wrote:
Thanks Mike. Just amended my post after a search. What's your view on the 'diagnosis'? Wink

My 2 cents Mike - prime suspect has to be wiring loom damage but probably also worth checking the ATF for water contamination as the ATF plumbing runs through the radiator and this is not unheard of.

The 2 looms listed by FPUK appear to be for different model years and there may also be differences between auto & manual.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
jls1936

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 5:45pm »

The local garage has returned my car fitted new coil and made a temporary repair to wiring but advised me it needs renewing. The car is now running normally. I contacted Spikie by email as I seen he has a wiring loom and am waiting for a reply. I also sent an enquiry to the site Simmo pointed to .  I notice they describe it as a fuel shut off loom nd give a part no 1003462. Is this the part I need?, because while I am waiting for replies I was quoted £550.00 plus VAT for a loom by a Ford sealer in Leicester! It's all very confusing foran old boilermaker like me
jls1936
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 6:14pm »

Yes that's the loom, there are some differences between the 2.0 & the 2.3 and whether auto or manual but give them your VIN & you should get the right one.
IP Logged

Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Mar 18th, 2016, 9:23pm »

Mine is a manual 2.0Ltr and that is the part number on my invoice. Wink Be sure to mention the Scorpio site and ask for Trevor Porter as you should get a discount.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Mar 19th, 2016, 11:56am »

on Mar 18th, 2016, 5:45pm, jls1936 wrote:
I contacted Spikie by email as I seen he has a wiring loom and am waiting for a reply. I also sent an enquiry to the site Simmo pointed to .  I notice they describe it as a fuel shut off loom nd give a part no 1003462.

Details of the loom are here:
http://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/dohcloom.htm

The problem is that the insulation cracks up with heat & age so a second hand one isn't a good idea if you're paying labour charges to have it fitted.

Apart from connecting to the ignition coils, temp sensors etc it also connects to the fuel injectors. The strange name of the loom is probably a poor translation from German for fuel injector loom or similar.
IP Logged

jls1936

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Mar 21st, 2016, 5:07pm »

Still no joy. I have been emailing fordpartsuk and mentioned the Scorpio site, no reply yet and I can not find a phone number to speak to anyone.
 Spikie came back with: There is only one 2.3l engine in a frogeye scorpio and therefore there is only one engine wiring loom for that engine. I replied that my car is a 2.l and asked if the loom he has  Part no SKU CPA555 is the one I need. I am still waiting and now the car wont start!!
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #14 on: Mar 21st, 2016, 5:56pm »

Try emailing trevor AT fordpartsuk.com (change the AT).

I asked about a part a couple of weeks ago & got a reply the next day although it wasn't Trevor who replied.
Give details of the car - registration & VIN
Ask for fuel shut off loom.
Where did you get SKU CPA555 from?

It will normally be finis 1003462 or similar.
IP Logged

jls1936

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Mar 21st, 2016, 6:31pm »

hi Tompion
The SKU CPA 555 came from Spikie. Which was why I have asked if it is the one I need. I have sent emails to fordpartsuk on their web site fao Trevor Porter Giving my VIN no, so far no reply.
I will let you know when I hear anything. In the meantime thanks to everyone for your interest and help.
jls1936
IP Logged
jls1936

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #16 on: Mar 22nd, 2016, 1:10pm »

Hi all
Just heard from Fordparts uk. Thye say Trevor Porter no longer with them. But worse, they cannot supply the loom the part no is 1003642, as Ford have now discontinued it.
They say Ford dealer workshops now have a Loom Repair Kit as a recent addition to the workshop tools, and suggest I try them to see if they can do a repair. I will keep you posted on my progress.
jls1936
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #17 on: Mar 22nd, 2016, 3:36pm »

It's not unusual to get the wrong info although Trevor was usually very good. The last reply I had was wrong with regard one of my requests.

The part no you give appears to be wrong, did you just type it wrongly?

Strange they still list it for sale, if it were me I'd just buy it and see what happens.
  www.allcarpartsfast.co.uk  
list 1003462 (don't list 1003642 from your last post) but it's not unusual for them to come back & say they can't get it.
IP Logged

jls1936

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #18 on: Mar 30th, 2016, 6:37pm »

Hi Guys
No joy yet Fordparts uk can't help and I tried the allpartsfast site who were very helpful and even tried their German contact but no luck. I have been trying to find an auto electrician in the Derby area, who might be able to do a repair, so far not one of 6 have even replied to my telephone enquires. Surely I don't have to scrap this great car for the sake of a loom!!
jls1936
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #19 on: Mar 31st, 2016, 6:48am »

jls. Have a read of This thread  You will see that advice is available. Smiley Be sure to read both pages because there is a link by Tompion to the article by (another) Bob.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.