Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 8:32pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Lights won't go out »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Lights won't go out
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Lights won't go out  (Read 1083 times)
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Lights won't go out
« on: Apr 20th, 2016, 9:56am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

There I was sprucing up my 24 valve Estate when the "Ignition on and in gear beeper" started up.  The Ignition was off, not sure whether she was in gear or not, and all the doors including the tailgate were open. Then I noticed that the sidelights were on even though the switch was off - and whatever I did made no difference, eventually I found a position between the off and "P" where the lights went out.  I had to leave her like that. However at aprox. 3AM whilst having a mug of tea in the kitchen I noticed that a light was in inside the car, and sure enough although the exterior lights were off as were the cabin lights the instrument panel was lighted up like a Christmas tree!!  Fed up I went to bed.  In the morning the Bty was flat.  I disconnected it and put it on charge.

Today I connected up -- no change. I know nothing about "electrics," so I am completely stumped. Therefore all I can do is shout HELP, please, to all my Scorpy experts.    Kiss

Mike
IP Logged
Scorpio_Mike

Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 V6 & 2.8 Sierra XR4i 4x4

View Profile

Re: Lights won't go out
« Reply #1 on: Apr 20th, 2016, 10:39am »

Check the terminals on the headlight switch where the multi-plug goes in - not unknown for the plastic to melt and cause a fault.
IP Logged

Star sign is Scorpio !
Sierra XR4i's are great...especially when fitted with 4WD Smiley
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 20th, 2016, 11:49am »

Have you by any chance had the big connector off of the main, drivers side, fuse box?
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2016, 8:17am »

Thanks  

I shall check the Headlight switch, hopefully this morning Smiley. Nope I have not been anywhere near the big connector - I ain't that brave.  As a likkle boy I put my finger into a wall plug just to see what was in there. I soon found out, still glow a bit now!

IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21st, 2016, 9:02am »

Mike. You might find This link from Fault Finder useful. The usual sign of a problem is the browning of the connector block where the plastic has overheated due to resistance in the contacts. Wink

You will see in one of the links terminal 15 on the switch is usually the one that goes.

I take it you are happy that neither of the fuse boxes are wet?
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Apr 21st, 2016, 11:01am »

Thanks Dave. I checked the headlight switch and Connector and all looks in good nick. I replaced the Switch and Connector with an old but good looking one. None of these made any difference.  One thing I did was to check whether the lights were still on when these items were completely disconnected: They were not. It seems obvious to me as to why this should be but, you never know, it might mean something to somebody.

Fuse Boxes are bone dry thanks
IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Apr 22nd, 2016, 12:18am »

Perhaps someone who knows the wiring can tell us whether all these circuits are operated by switching to ground ?
I wonder if sprucing it up included washing ? We have also had some heavy rain recently.
Interesting that disconnecting the headlamp switch extinguished all the lights, as though it was the switch grounding things.
Just might be worth getting the hair dryer on the fuse boxes just in case even though they appear dry- you can't see water between the layers in the box, and it can cause considerable bizarre mayhem !
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Apr 22nd, 2016, 8:47am »

Cigar lighter fault/short. This is a stab in the dark, but I think there has been problems with it.
IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Apr 22nd, 2016, 9:05pm »

Agreed,  also worth checking the fuel cut off switch and the battery saver relay ,I should think.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23rd, 2016, 7:09am »

Smiley. Thanks for the info everyone.  

I will check all the above, starting with the Cigar lighter as that certainly got moved about when I was "Flash-dashing" the dash etc.

Guess what?  Angry It's raining and I have the Bty. disconnected and I dare not expose the fuse box to the elements.  How frustrating!!!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Apr 23rd, 2016, 7:42am »

on Apr 23rd, 2016, 7:09am, Nunnspoet wrote:
Smiley. Thanks for the info everyone.  

I will check all the above, starting with the Cigar lighter as that certainly got moved about when I was "Flash-dashing" the dash etc.

I think that is the most likely cause in that case.
 Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.