Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 6:32pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« running rough 2.0 16v »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   running rough 2.0 16v
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: running rough 2.0 16v  (Read 1104 times)
szinyei

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

running rough 2.0 16v
« on: Dec 12th, 2016, 9:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The car is runnig smoothly (4-5-6l/100km on steady 70-80 km/h). After a while it starts running rough. It means that it gets weak, the consumption goes up to around 8-9l/ 100km. If I accelerate in 5th gear, the consumption goes up to around 20l/100km instead of 14-15l/100km which is normal.
Idle means that usually it shows around 0.8-1 l/h and if it gets runnig rough it goes up to 1.5-2l/h, sometimes as it was running only on 2 cylinders.

Cure: ignition OFF then ON and it then runs again fine. (It is quite annoying if I need to do this on the motorway at night, lights go off and on...).

Any ideas?

The local garage measured the injection times and it then goes up substantially. In other times it is just ok. They do not know what the problem can be...

ECU, lambda sond, coils, wires, spark plugs, EGR Valve, fuel cut off loom (new!) were swapped but it did not help...

Appreciate any help!

(Wiring to EDIS seems to be cracked at some places but it does not seem to be serious, like bare wires or similar like with an old loom...)
IP Logged
Andycan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: running rough 2.0 16v
« Reply #1 on: Dec 12th, 2016, 10:45pm »

Have you cleaned the MAF ?
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2016, 12:59am »

Since you say in your other thread you changed the cam cover & cam sensor, try running with the cam sensor disconnected just in case that's faulty. Strange as it may sound the car should drive fine without it.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
szinyei

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15th, 2016, 11:29pm »

Yes, I tried that also with the camshaft sensor. I might have the feeling that it is needed only temporarily when the engine ist started. Crankshaft and camshaft sensors seem not to be responsible for this problem - swapped them many times - but a fault code of P0016 appears...the chain is also ok...the local garage tells me. They gave up on this problem...
IP Logged
szinyei

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Dec 15th, 2016, 11:35pm »

Today I changed the MAF. There are actually two types of them. One is with normal (blue) resistors ann the other type is with the filaments coild up.
I will see it tomorrow. I also cleaned the ground points. Just in case.

What I noticed today is that if the car was runnig awfully, i.e. high idle consumption (and running consumption) and the rev going up and down from 500 to 2000, I fiddled with the MAF and the problem went...

I drive around 150 miles daily with the car, so I can see tomorrow what change it made...(arund 200 000 miles on the clock).

I keep you informed...

IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2016, 1:25am »

It should start & drive with the cam sensor disconnected. It may be that the injectors work differently but you shouldn't notice any significant difference in performance.
If you still get P0016 with it disconnected check the condition of the cam sensor wires & that they haven't at some stage got squashed in the cover over the coils.
Details of the code here:
https://www.obd-codes.com/p0016

You can also drive with the MAF disconnected, to test if the fault remains, once again you shouldn't notice any significant difference in performance.  
I've seen a few, never seen an original one with blue resistors.

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2016, 7:12am »

Like Tompion I do not understand your description of the MAF  Huh This article shows the unit and how to clean and check it. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 18th, 2016, 8:47am »

I think he may be getting the IAC and the MAF mixed up. The IAC will give the syptoms he is describing .
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
szinyei

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2016, 12:57pm »

It seems that it was a faulty MAF. It was cleaned but apparently it misbehaved. That lead to the phenomenon, that sometimes too much fuel was injected that lead to the rough run.
IAC was several times changed, cleaned whatever. The car was also able to run without IAC, although it is difficult but it works....irrespective of this, this rough run and high consumption appeared frequently. And as I wrote, ignition off and on always cured the problem for the time being...
What went wrong with my car: I had a terrible loom, that was changed to a new one - bingo. With it, I let the sensors (camshaft, crankshaft) replaced  - that was a mistake! The camshaft sensor (new but apparently poor quality) became faulty. And at the same time (!) the MAF (althogh properly cleaned...) became also faulty. That was a meta-problem.
Now all problems are solved - I do hope... I will read now the fault codes. And let you know how it looks...
Anyway, I have the same consumption as it had always been and should be.
Thank you for your help!!!!!
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18th, 2016, 3:30pm »

Glad you appear to be sorted and thank you for letting us know the result. It is examples like this which help others in the future. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.