Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 6:40pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24 Valve Cossie Autobox Problem »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24 Valve Cossie Autobox Problem
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24 Valve Cossie Autobox Problem  (Read 968 times)
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

24 Valve Cossie Autobox Problem
« on: Jan 10th, 2017, 1:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The Auto box on one of my Cossie Estates is awful.

The Beast was running perfectly.  I left her parked up for about 3 weeks. Jumped in to drive her. Straight away the Auto box went hay wire = Thumping about, selecting gears at random. The Speedo was all over the dial, sometimes reading zero for long periods, rarely reflecting the speed of the car.  I had no choice but to drive her to Exeter and back in this condition.  How I hated that!

Anyway, I have done an OBD check and it returned fault 2 Codes:  One Code relates to the EGR which I expected and discount.

The other Code PO113 AITSCH, Sensor Circuit Input High I have not encountered before  Undecided..

Can somebody please advise me what to do to get "The Beast" up and running again?

Mike    

Smiley
IP Logged
amigafan2003

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: 24 Valve Cossie Autobox Problem
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10th, 2017, 1:41pm »

Sounds like your air temp sensor has gone open circuit and needs replacing.

https://www.obd-codes.com/p0113

Replacement here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIR-TEMP-SENSOR-FOR-FORD-SCORPIO-2-9-1994-1998 -LAT002-/331591678675
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jan 10th, 2017, 1:53pm »

Has damp got in to the large square plugs on the o/s inner wing, I only say this as I had very similar when water got in mine. Some D/H washed down the engine bay, I wont be doing that again, and things went mad. After drying out and repacking with special grease, all is well.
Gerald.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 10th, 2017, 2:19pm »

Hi Mike,

Despite having that code I don't see why a faulty air temp sensor should cause "The Speedo was all over the dial, sometimes reading zero for long periods" - sounds more like the speed sensor (VSS) or the dreaded loom damage.

You could try disconnecting the air sensor & see if the car improves.

What OBD are you using?
You should be able to monitor the air temp sensor. With a cold engine (stood overnight) you should find the temperature reading from the engine coolant sensor & the air temp sensor are roughly the same (around ambient temp). Once the engine is hot the intake sensor should be above ambient whilst the engine temp should be above 80C.
I can't say what the intake sensor should read on a Cossie but I think on my 2.3 with a hot engine it's around the 36C area.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 10th, 2017, 4:13pm »

Thanks for your replies (that was quick  Smiley)

At the moment I am "froze to the bone" and have given up.

Both my Scorpies are off the road as I have taken the leaking Header Tanks off.  I sent them to Bislton this p.m. for repair so I can't start either of them up until I get them back.

Dave, I am using the Pepper OBD11 Lead. When I can I will try out your suggestions.

Damp? Yes, to say the least. Both cars suffered blown Top Hoses - coolant all over the place this Autumn,. Then I managed to spill coolant over the electrics in the off side areas of both Engine compartments.  aaagh!  Bit miffed when I recall these incidents.  I have had a go at drying out the electrics but can't fire up the engines at present...

Mike
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10th, 2017, 6:47pm »

If you have had both header tanks leaking as well as the top hose blow, mine had a 170mm long split when it went, the plugs could need taking apart and drying. It helps to take the p/s oil tank off its bracket to give more room, mine just pulled up. The bolt holds the plug together and theback of the plug can be taken off, a lot of dirt was in mine, and cleaned,one of the wires in mine had lost its insulation and a couple were cracking, which I repaired as best I could with out to much pulling around. I bought the ford grease to make sure it was right.
IP Logged
TilleyBoy

1998 cosworth scorpio ,

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 11th, 2017, 12:01am »

Sounds like a loom fault , check the two plugs and fingers crossed for you it is just that and not a loom gone bad .

Mine had both gearbox and air temp sensor fault , when we checked the plugs quickly realised it was the insulation on the whole loom broken down  

Good luck
IP Logged
Glyn

Now an OAP ! 95 cossie and another !and a 12v

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 11th, 2017, 12:13am »

Had same problem with erratic gearbox and speedo not working or all over the place. Turned out to be speed sensor on the gearbox.
IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Feb 14th, 2017, 12:16pm »

Update.

I have had the Header Tanks for both Cossies repaired by City Radiators, Bilston and they have done a first class job - they also tested the filler caps.  I have separated the electrics as suggested and tried to dry them out.  That was about three weeks ago.

Having fitted the Header Tank and "topped up the Coolant I started "The Beast" up with no problems  Smiley. I have not been able to check out the VSS, too many aches and pains and the driveway has been too wet and/or frozen.  Anyway I went for a short drive and all the original faults are still there.  I didn't expect anything else really.

Ah well, It is a case of wait until I can get to check out the VSS and associated wiring.

I really miss driving my 24 valve Cossies, not only that, my experience of the Scorpio is that they fare badly when left standing for long periods.

Mike
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.