Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 4:35pm

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Trunk opens independently »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Trunk opens independently
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Trunk opens independently  (Read 866 times)
Sir_Geffory

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Trunk opens independently
« on: Jul 21st, 2018, 10:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,my Trunk lid (hope ist the right word),from my 1997 Scorpio ggr, opened  independently when I made a short break  at a french highway.It took  a few tries till it was closed again.From this moment it happend a few times  when the car was unlocked and the engine didnt run.Anybody here who had the same problem?I put the Batterie out of the remote but it happend again. Fusebox?
I have no other electrical-problems.
Greetings from Germany
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Trunk opens independently
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22nd, 2018, 12:56pm »

A possibility on the saloon is the loom attached to the boot hinges can suffer damage from flexing, check both sides for bare wires.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 22nd, 2018, 1:21pm »

Tompion is, as ever, quite right. If the boot trim has been disturbed near the rear seats it may allow the loom to come into contact with the boot hinges. This damages the wires and sometimes it is necessary to undo the tape to actually see the damage. Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 22nd, 2018, 9:16pm »

On reflection do check the button on the boot isn't sticking. There's about 2mm movement on my estate button before it releases. Try putting the key in & turn it a little & see if you can pull the button out a bit. Spraying it with WD40 will usually free it.
IP Logged

Sir_Geffory

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jul 24th, 2018, 11:27am »

Thanks for the fast answers!IYesterday I started to control the cables.Nothing found yet.I stoppen because its too hot in a black car trunk when 30 dagrees outside Undecided
When I checked the wires I could hear the "trunklock" working all the time.But when I move and shaked the wires-nothing  Undecided When its a bit "better" weather I continue  undo the tape and check the rest of wires.
IP Logged
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2018, 11:28am »

on Jul 22nd, 2018, 9:16pm, Tompion wrote:
On reflection do check the button on the boot isn't sticking. There's about 2mm movement on my estate button before it releases. Try putting the key in & turn it a little & see if you can pull the button out a bit. Spraying it with WD40 will usually free it.

Don't know if there is a simple answer and haven't investigated very far yet, but does the tail gate on the estate have some sort of auto locking?  If I unlock the the tailgate with the remote its fine, and for a while (indeterminate time) if I close the tail gate I can then just press the button and it will open, and then it won't and I have to use the remote again. It's not anything to do with locking the car (as I don't as its only been moving around the workshop) but will have been started and stopped.  Could just be a sticky button but thought I'd ask before attempting to fix something that isn't broken?
Alan
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Aug 17th, 2018, 1:00pm »

Make sure that the ignition is switched off and drivers door open, there is an anti theft from "boot" on these, pain when you want to unload the shopping then park up. All described in the handbook I think.
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Aug 18th, 2018, 12:47pm »

Yes, tailgate button only works with ignition off. I don't think I needed the drivers door open though - can't check as using FDS 2000 I set mine to the taxi option (button works with ignition on).
IP Logged

OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Aug 18th, 2018, 5:18pm »

Many thanks, a quick pointer, and some silicon spray sorted a sticky button. Will now open on tailgate button, drivers door open or shut, provided ignition off. Turning Ignition on immobilises button, and then requires unlocking, button then returns to working until doors locked or ignition turned on.

As may be used occasionally for dogs (if I can find a decent dog guard to go behind rear seat) may investigate further option of button always working unless locked as it would be safer.  
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Aug 19th, 2018, 7:20am »

As Tompion says in an earlier post the default position is for the boot/tailgate to be locked while the ignition is on. It is a safety measure to stop miscreants opening the boot/tailgate while the car is stationary, at Traffic Lights for instance.

There is a 'Taxi' option which allows the boot/tailgate to be opened with the engine running but it has to be programmed in with a Ford system, FDS2000, as Tompion says.  Smiley
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Aug 21st, 2018, 7:06pm »

Further update, now having put 100 miles on it, it appears to have improved itself, so now it can be opened on button provided ignition off and doors not locked. The slightly annoying remaining locked after ignition has been on has gone away!  Must like being used!

Now all I have to do is have a go at cleaning the trip computer buttons and see if I can get it to switch to MPG
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Aug 21st, 2018, 8:35pm »

Trip computer buttons tend to stick if car is not used, try pressing repeatedly to get them to free up.

Then while the vehicle is stopped you can easily reset to Miles (don't know why it defaults to km's - our mile is bigger in any case).

My M reg does this if I dont use it regularly, Scorpios hate standing.
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 3:59pm »

on Aug 21st, 2018, 7:06pm, OldTuckUnder wrote:

Now all I have to do is have a go at cleaning the trip computer buttons and see if I can get it to switch to MPG

Try pressing the S & R buttons at the same time it will often get it to change to imperial.

That's worked for mine for some time. Yesterday I tried some rapid pressing of the centre button - probably about 40 times & it started working again.
I think they're silver contacts so tend to tarnish & not being sliding contact don't self clean.
IP Logged

OldTuckUnder

New Scorpio Owner

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: Aug 23rd, 2018, 11:30pm »

Ah meant to post on that earlier today, tried the above multiple pushes on the "S" button, zilch.  Tried pressing the "S" and the "R" button multiple times, zilch. Then tried the "Mode" and the "S" button together and after just one press bingo it switched. Of course it could just be that just one more press on the "S" button would have done it, but I'll never know!  

As I see all but one of the LED's are out, at some point I'm going to have to remove the switch block at at least clean the contacts, and maybe have a go at soldering in some new LED's, shame Maplins have gone, as will have  to try and find an alternative.  May just see if I can pick up a good replacement switch unit.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.