Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:30am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v Cosworth starting problems »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v Cosworth starting problems
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v Cosworth starting problems  (Read 958 times)
rwd

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

24v Cosworth starting problems
« on: Jun 26th, 2019, 1:37pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I have a 24v Cosworth (bob engine factory fitted) in my 1995 Cardinal hearse. Before I bought it it was parked up for almost a year. The garage told the previous owner the fuel pump had packed up.  I found it was the fuel cut off switch had tripped not the pump.  Now it starts and runs fine until you switch off and leave for 5 minutes or more. Disconnect and reconnect the battery and it starts fine again until left for 5 minutes or more. Its as if something is being reset when the battery is disconnected / reconnected.   Any suggestions as to whats happening ?
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: 24v Cosworth starting problems
« Reply #1 on: Jun 27th, 2019, 6:27am »

I seem to remember a member having the same or similar problems a long time ago. I think it may be something to do with the relays but I am sure there will be help on its way soon. I will try and find the posts I think I am refering to when I get a minute or two spare. BTW welcome to the forum.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
rwd

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 27th, 2019, 9:53am »

Thanks.  Any help will appreciated.
IP Logged
rwd

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 28th, 2019, 5:59pm »

This is now really starting to annoy me.  Had a mate plug it in to his laptop no codes came up.  The way its going ill rip the engine out and stick it in a 100e and scrap the rest.
IP Logged
FlefasaurusRex

1998 Ultima Cosworth Estate, Panther Black

View Profile Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 28th, 2019, 10:23pm »

When you say it won't start, does it crank and not fire or is it just dead, does the ignition come on? First thought was either a sticky ignition relay or a failing starter motor tripping some sort of over current protection
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 9:43am »

That's just what we wanted to hear on the Scorpio site Angry

We are all here to help each other and preserve the marque, lots of really good people on here working hard to stave of the banger boys and strippers.

You will still have the problem because Ford made the engine to stay with the car and stop peeople carving it up like they did with the boa cossie from it's predecessor.
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 11:30am »

Hi rwd
Have a read at this, copied from a previous post of mine:

Sorted!!  

Firstly, thank you everyone for your advice  Cool.  

Right.  Having played, and faffed about to the utmost of my pathetic abilities I decided to call out the RAC.  the guy checked the fuses and relays in the Bty. side fuse box and discovered that the Relay situated nearest the Bulkhead on the left hand side, as you look from the front of the car, had failed.  So he fitted the similar relay from my other Scorpio and hey presto! Everything as should be. Perfect.  

I believe it is the Main Power Relay: 12v  70amp and is readily available from Auto Electrical outlets.  I purchased 2 straight away.  

I believe that what with the Top Rad hose blowing spreading Coolant all over the Engine bay and the Expansion Tank spraying Coolant about (she has had slightly misted up o/s Headlight lens for some time) it is no wonder the electrics had a problem.  

Mike   Grin  Cool.  

I believe the  Relay is 21
Good luck
Mike
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 2:28pm »

To add to the above. Relay 21, as described and located, is the 'Ignition Lock'.
Looking up these I realise that the one alongside 21 is Relay 16 which is the power saver relay.  If I understand things correctly, this  is designed to cut power to various items once the ignition is off in order to save power...hence its name!
In view of the fact that leaving it for a time seems to create the problem I wonder if that is relevant?
The next obvious point is...do you have the fuse box lid on correctly and is the battery cover in place?
Water ingress is not what you want!. Wink
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
rwd

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 6:44pm »

Right.   The car will start and run fine. turn it off and it will start and run fine as long as its not been left off for more than 5 or 10 minutes.  Then if the battery is disconnected and reconnected it will start and drive fine again until it is left switched off for 5 - 10 minutes  It cranks over all electrics work fuel pump primes etc just wont fire until battery is disconnected then reconnected
IP Logged
rwd

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 6:46pm »

on Jun 29th, 2019, 9:43am, Torbayboy wrote:
That's just what we wanted to hear on the Scorpio site Angry

We are all here to help each other and preserve the marque, lots of really good people on here working hard to stave of the banger boys and strippers.

You will still have the problem because Ford made the engine to stay with the car and stop peeople carving it up like they did with the boa cossie from it's predecessor.

Last thing it want to do but this problem is now starting to annoy me.  The problem wont be there if I pull the engine out as it can be run using a Megajolt or other stand alone ECUs

IP Logged
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 7:33pm »

Does the Relay have physical switch inside it?  If so it could just be sticking during a specific sequence  Undecided
Personally I would put in a new relay.  I don't think they are expensive and surly worth a try,,,cheaper than an engine  Smiley
Years ago I had a Vauxhall Carlton, which I loved, and it had Fuel relay which would stick. I used to un-stick it by giving it a squeeze, worked every time.
Good luck rwd
Mike  Smiley
ps Scorpios do not like standing for a long while.  They pretty much always play up as a result  Angry
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 8:42pm »

Got to agree with Mike there, just run it and use it, ignore all the dash lights and odd bits they do, used regularly they sort thereselves pretty much, my cos saloon hates to stand - leave it a week and the airbag light comes on Grin
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
rwd

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29th, 2019, 9:35pm »

How can I use it when every time you stop you have to disconnect the battery wait 5 - 10 minutes then reconnect it ?
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.