Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 10:12am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Dies after 3 minutes »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Dies after 3 minutes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Dies after 3 minutes  (Read 656 times)
szinyei

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Dies after 3 minutes
« on: Jul 4th, 2020, 1:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everybody,

my car starts then runs well for around 3 minutes and then dies. It will not start, only if this sort of cold ignition spray is sprayed into the air intake. i.e. the injection stops. Also on LPG. EEC, relays, fuses, EDIS has been swapped, same behaviour. Next day it starts again for another 3 minutes. Any idea? Loom ok...fuse box dry, weather dry (it rained some days ago and after this appeared this problem. But if it was wet, it had plenty of time getting dry.  
IP Logged
PJDavis

2 x 1995 Jag X300 3.2 / 4.0 (Henley)   1957 XK140

View Profile Email

Re: Dies after 3 minutes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2020, 10:59pm »

Fuel Problem.   I suspect water in the fuel.   Take a sample of fuel from the tank, and from the fuel rail.   Leave in a glass jar for a while, you will see the separation.     Also, when you put the ignition on, you should hear the fuel pump activate, you will need to also put a stethoscope onto the outside of the fuel tank to listen for the fuel pump 'working' after the initial 'ignition-on' prime.   You could have a fuel pump problem.

Always let us know how your problem is going, it's valuable information.
IP Logged

I love 'Movvy'
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X300 3.2 (Henley)
1995 Jaguar XJ6 X330 4.0 (Dopey)
1957 Jaguar XK140 USA (converted to RHD, and to have fitted Mk10 420G Engine with BW 65 Auto Trans)
szinyei

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jul 19th, 2020, 3:04pm »

Thank you. If I start the car on LPG or it switches to LPG, I have the same problem. It runs now between 5 and 30 minutes. I also detached the PATS after starting, it did not help. Crankshaft sensor has around 400 Ohms. Weird. In the garage they also has no idea...
IP Logged
szinyei

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jul 19th, 2020, 9:25pm »

It seems indeed the water in the fuel that causes the problem. A separation of around 1-5 ml water to 50-100ml petrol is obvious. What helped is that I disconnected the vacuum tube which goes from the pressure regulator to the air intake. Interestingly this also affects the LPG mode. I will update. Now, I use the 22 liter remaining petrol without using LPG and then I fill her up with new petrol and see...with tube revonnected.
Vacuum tube: if it does not operate, it can be that the pressure is not enough to push the water into the injector??
IP Logged
theogrenietis

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Aug 20th, 2020, 6:49am »

I cannot recommend enough to check the screened wire from EDIS to PCM. I had a similar problem, I even re manufactured all of the engine wiring loom,  but skipped this wire which consists of 3 crucial signals for the PCM to fire the injectors and in my case all of the 3 wires were touching together and touching the grounded shielding as well.
I have no idea why the car would work sometimes, because it is hard to see how any signal would get to the PCM. Since I changed the the shielded 3 wire cable, I have had no problems with it, so I`m 100% sure it was the problem.
To check the state of the cable you can just open the bonnet and look next to the coolant tank, you should be able to see it the cable.
IP Logged
johneisen2001

Scorpio Ultima

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2021, 6:35pm »

Hi. I have a Scorpio December 1994 2.0 with the pats box I get the fuel pump priming, starter going with sparks but that's it. It's driving me mad. It doesn't seem pat's can be disabled.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.