Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 19th, 2024, 12:29am

Balance: £16.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Last thing - front of headlining fitting? »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Last thing - front of headlining fitting?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Last thing - front of headlining fitting?  (Read 453 times)
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

Last thing - front of headlining fitting?
« on: Jun 25th, 2021, 4:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Woohoo - after months of searching, I finally found a supply of new front windscreen heater vent panels aka 'Grille Defroster Nozzle' and have ordered, received and fitted one. (That's 'new' as in never used, unopened, in original Ford packaging, although it will have been made 25 years ago, of course. What a vintage car parts business in a small town in Wisconsin is doing with a pile of these as these  Scorpios were never sold in the US I can't imagine.)

That means that, leaving aside the front bumper my neighbour's partner is to repair, I've fixed all the little things now apart from one last one: the front edge of the headlining.

I can see it's not supposed to be how it is, but am not clear how it is supposed to fit - never had a reason to look closely at it on my old Scorpio.

So, I see it's some kind of foam board with the fabric over it, but at the front .... there's a thick rubber strip with a curved cross section attached across either the front edge of the roof or the top of the windscreen. In front of the centre (roof) console, the console front is pressing the front edge of the headlining hard against the rubber strip. But on either side of the console the front of the headlining isn't fixed to or under anything and as one goes outwards it gradually bows away from that rubber strip to a max of a bit under a cm on the passenger side and a bit over a cm on the driver side, that max being about 3/4 of the way from console to edge of windscreen, before going back to contact the rubber strip at the outer edge. And at and around the max dip the fabric is also separated from the board a little so the edge of the board is visible.

It's clearly not supposed to be like this, and while it's actually only visible from outside the car, standing close and looking at the top of the windscreen, as the final thing I'd like to put it right. I'm just not sure how it is supposed to be. I can think of three possibilities:

(a) It's supposed to sit with the edge touching the middle of the rubber strip, the way the console is currently holding the centre part, so needs the front edge of the headlining gluing to the rubber all the way across.

{b} The end's supposed to tuck up behind the rubber strip, which an exploratory poke tells me will also need gluing.

(c) I'm supposed to lever up the back edge of the rubber strip, and the front edge of the headlining is supposed to go under the back edge of the rubber - which a quick experiment just in the middle with the console off tells me is probably possible but tricky with the state of my shoulders and hands, but wouldn't need gluing.

Or is it supposed to fit some other way ... clip  into a missing plastic rail or something.?

Thanks for any advice as to how it is supposed to fit.

David
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

Re: Last thing - front of headlining fitting?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2021, 6:48am »

Is this of any help . HERE

I never had the head ining off but I am sure others will be along with more advice, Good Luck.
IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2021, 12:10pm »

The headlining is held by a couple of clips, as shown, and the rubber trim round the perimeter. Your guess at (b) is right. If you look at 11, in the diagram Snoopy has linked to that shows the method clearly. It is the same all round the roofline apart from where it goes behind the door pillar trim and the front screen trim on either side of the dash. The lining is simply fabric glued to a flexible board as you seem to have discovered. IF you are going to glue it be very careful as you don't want the adhesive coming through the fabric. IF it is just a small area at the front as you suggest I'd go for a very thin double sided tape.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 26th, 2021, 4:38pm »

The board curves up at the edge and just touches the rubber, it doesn't go under the rubber. Along the front edge it's just the sun visor fixings & centre consol hold it plus the ends rest on the pillar trims. The cloth trim is glued to the board and rolls arond the edge of the board & glued on the other side. The trim is foam backed and glued to the board, over time the foam perishes and the cloth come away from the foam.

Dave
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.