Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 6:13pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Intermittent no air from blower in cabin »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Intermittent no air from blower in cabin
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Intermittent no air from blower in cabin  (Read 349 times)
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

Intermittent no air from blower in cabin
« on: Nov 24th, 2021, 11:20pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Ghia-X, so manual control ventilation/heating/air-con, NOT climate control.

A few weeks ago (4? 6? My memory and sense of time is useless) I was on one of my longer trips - there and back to somewhere 5 miles away, rather than my  more usual to places 1/2 mile and 2 miles away - and it was feeling a bit nippy so I switched the fan up from 1 to 3 ... then realised I was getting no air flow from the vents. I could hear the fan, and hear it change its speed between 1, 2 and 3, but I could feel no airflow from the dashboard vents, or the footwell vents, or the windscreen vents. Altering the distribution control, blower speed, A/C on/off, nothing produced any air from any vents, although I could hear the blower fan. Next time I went out, though, I got air from vents as expected from how I'd left the controls as soon as I started the engine.

Each following time I didn't notice the problem again (although on days it wasn't cold or hot I might not have noticed with the fan speed usually left on 1).

Then yesterday it happened again. It was feeling a bit chilly, so I turned the blower fan speed up, heard the blower fan speed go up, but then realised I was getting no air flow through dashboard, footwell or windscreen vents at all. Again, I heard the blower speed change as I switched it between 1, 2 and 3, but no airflow (so no heating).

And today I went out again, and immediately had full expected airflow the moment I started the engine corresponding to how I'd left the controls yesterday: hot, speed 3, distribution to screen and footwell, dashboard vents open, A/C on, which today gave me warm air roaring out of dashboard vents and into footwell and onto windscreen when yesterday it gave me nothing.

I am struggling to think of what (intermittent) fault could cause this. No heat, or no A/C, or no fan, or a broken distribution control link I could start looking ... but what can cause no air out of open dashboard vents when the fan is running?
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

Re: Intermittent no air from blower in cabin
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2021, 10:13am »

I think you may have answered your own question. The only reason for the airflow to be restricted in the way you describe is if the relevant 'flaps' are not opening/closing.
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Intermittent no air from blower in cabin
« Reply #2 on: Dec 7th, 2021, 1:58pm »

Could be the evaporator icing up, next time it happens try lifting the cover over the aircon filters - this will allow air in without passing through the evaporator, if the vents now work you may have a problem with the de-ice switch or temperature probe.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.