Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 12:21am

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« car loses power in reverse »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   car loses power in reverse
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: car loses power in reverse  (Read 458 times)
Torbayboy

View Profile

car loses power in reverse
« on: Jan 4th, 2022, 3:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Cos 95 auto problem, fine in forward gears but on reversing up my drive very hesitant and seems to be on limp home in reverse.

Havent been able to check fluid level as nothing flat around here!
 Looking for auto fluid filter and sump gasket for same. Any finis Nos or stockists I can try appreciated.

Seems to be different filter on later models?
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

Re: car loses power in reverse
« Reply #1 on: Jan 5th, 2022, 9:36am »

Hiya.  Well here goes:  years ago when we bought Ruby my Cos, we were up in the Lake District, mid winter, when she started play up; gears slipping, o/d light flashing on now and then etc.  I checked the fluid level, it was spot on. Worried we called in at a roadside garage, asking HELP!  The mechanic came out, checked the fluid level, went back in, came back out with a bottle of fluid and poured into the autobox about 1 litre. Said that that should fix it.  I offered to pay him but he declined and off we drove.  I was really worried what with all the warnings about overfilling the Autobox, however Ruby drove better than ever and after a mile or so the o/d light ceased flashing and we had a lovely time driving around the beautiful Lake District.  Also the journey back to Chard was without hitch, and I didn't hang about.

Make what you will about the above but for me whenever the o/d light starts flashing or any autobox problems arise I top up the Box with about half a litre of fluid.  Just this week the o/d light started flashing so on Monday  I topped up with aprox. half a litre of fluid and went shopping in town a distance of 7 miles. The o/d light kept on flashing for about a mile, stopped flashing then flashed on and off for the next 6 miles.  I did the shopping and the journey back home was faultless. Ruby sorted.

The above is my personal experience. I am not a mechanic of any sort and take no responsibility for any action that you or others may or may not take in regard to the above

With my best regards
Mike  Smiley
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Jan 5th, 2022, 10:01am »

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply, I've been quiet on here lately as I am old and lazy!!

In a more detailed view this is the problem (with the car!).

On a cold start i have to reverse up my (steepish) drive, so I can pull out into the road to go scorpying, for a few times now I have had a whine from the car on going backwards from cold, and as it has no lag from the autobox there should not be a fluid level problem.

Pulls away and runs fine up and down the box OK, but yesterday as we have had to charge the battery lately (door module 'nother story for later) we did experience not just the whine sound in reeverse, but possibly some "cattle grid" after going a couple of miles (bearing in mind the flat battery the brain is still learning at this time).

The rumble clears after a short time and we go another 8 miles with no problems until I get home and have to reverse up my driveway. Car seems to have little/interrmittent drive and appears on limp home mode.

Park the car eventually and (on a slope mind) run through the P to !st and back again, trying reverse again no change and drive is still very positive-no lag in engaging drive either reverse or forwards.

First thought were (after oh s***) was fluid and filter as this car had stood from around 2009 till I bought it in 2019, had a few issues originally but most were solved by driving it.

Now really, afraid to take it out as may need a new box (have a spare but thats been stood since 2018 loosely covered outside), seem to have trouble locating the filter and to an extent the gasket also, I think there are 2 types for early and late cars (june 95).

So now youve gone blind reading this -sorry, thanks for the reply above

R Huh Huh Huh
IP Logged

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jan 5th, 2022, 1:07pm »

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/automatic-transmission-filter-12315/ ford/scorpio/scorpio-ii-gfr-ggr/4698-2-9-i-24v

Have a look at this

Tony
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jan 5th, 2022, 1:40pm »

Hi thanks for the help, fioud the dexron 2 atf  red with euro car parts ref 522776081 if it helps anyone.

Looking to run the car and drive to a flat spot to check level in the next days, then possibly top up and see if any difference.

R Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged

Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jan 6th, 2022, 8:48am »

Umm. I now have in mind a seizing up rear wheel bearing, usually the nearside.  I would get it checked out and a long shot could it be the a/c pump seizing up... again about six years ago I could not figure out why Ruby was heavy on the throttle ( I had to apply more throttle than I thought I should to get her to drive off. Being a 3Ltr Cossie once she got going there was not a lot of difference but I was not too happy.  Eventually she would not pull away from the traffic lights in Chard.  The a/c pump had seized up.  I removed the a/c drive belt.  It was like driving a new car.

Mike  
 Smiley
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jan 6th, 2022, 8:59am »

Thanks again, ac pump not connected on this one, as when I bought it (from Scotland) Jock (his real name!) had removed all the bits for aircon pump - sent down all the bolts instead, with the car, so we pinched the pump from the 2 litre but haven't finished the job as it needs tensioner and belt.
 Will check out the bearing, but as its just passed the MOT should be fine reallyHuh??

Thanks again Roy Grin Grin
IP Logged

Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jan 6th, 2022, 9:32am »

Oops, sorry about your name Roy. All my life I have had the most awful memory for peoples names and now I'm in my late 70's it's a nightmare, so please bear with me.

I'm not sure but if you jack up the n/s rear wheel and give it a spin and there is resistance it might tell you something...i don't envy you doing that job in this weather.  Mind you the Sun may be splitting the twigs down yur way.

Mike Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jan 7th, 2022, 11:25am »

NEWS..

Finally got round to starting car and driving (carefully) to a local flat spot, (we are on the top of a cliff here).

Noticed the whirring noise just after starting and as it's from the back of the car I think its the fuel pump, probably going to give up the ghost soonish- so nothing to do with the auto box.

Anyway short version, before pulling away let engine warm a little and ran throun prnd321 a few times, went to a level piece of road and checked the fluid = showing Min so will add some of ECPs dexron 2 later (as soon as it arrives) and hoping all will be better then, does need a change really so will sort that in time, if the top up cures the box.  reversing up the drive today all seems fine but car had hardly been anywhere, will update later....

Thanks to all for the help, nice to know we are still out there for each other when needed.

R Smiley Wink Cheesy Grin Angry Roll Eyes  still a child (at heart)
IP Logged

a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 7th, 2022, 7:11pm »

Hi Roy
The gearbox needs a run of about 5 miles before you can check the level, needs to be hot, and check the level with the engine running. The filter found by Tony seems to be a very good price and has a new bolt with it, later filters are thinner and need a shorter bolt, washers. When I changed mine after changing the filter I took a hose off the cooler, filled it up then run the engine to pump through app 1 ltr put more oil in and ran it again keep doing this untill you have changed all the oil or clean/fresh oil comes out. Have you cleaned the MAF.

Gerald
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 7th, 2022, 7:50pm »

Hi Gerald,

Got the auto fluid in now, son inl aws over later next week so will get him to check things for me, (lazy69er).

Trust you & yours are well, must get over your way perchance...

R Shocked
IP Logged

Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 9th, 2022, 1:13pm »

Went out today now the "Devon liquid sunshine" has stopped and  started the car and went for short run to warm things up.
 Back on the drive the prnd321 was performed a number of times and although they drive was engaging the R bit seemed to lack a little, checked level again still min so nothing else "lost" and carefully added 1 litre (1.75 pints in english) and tried the prnd321 again seems a lot more positive in all but definately in R as we started to move back down the drive (didnt back it up just in case it threw a wobbly again).
 Off again for a tour of the english riviera, and all good, even backed up the drive o tickover on return.
 So sorted for the moment, auto filter set still to arrive so that will be done when convenient, as the rest of the scorpio clan also need some attention.

Thanks to all for the advice and help.

Cool Cool Cool
IP Logged

Nunnspoet

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 10th, 2022, 9:15am »

Now that is good news to read on a Monday morning Roy!
Well done mate.

Mike  
 Cool
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.