Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:25pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« 24v engine cutting out »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   24v engine cutting out
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: 24v engine cutting out  (Read 690 times)
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

24v engine cutting out
« on: May 26th, 2022, 10:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just been on the motorway doing 75ish and no problems, car running smooth as silk.  Pulled off motorway and car started to cut out literally for a split second. No mis fire it was just like I had switched off the ignition and immediately switched it back on again. Did this around 40 times over 3 miles. Really thought I wasn't going to make it home. Scanned with Memoscan 380?? and showing no codes. Car starts first time and idles perfectly.

Any ideas anyone.
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
Pegasus

24V Cosworth  Ultima Born: Sept 97, sold Aug 23

View Profile

Re: 24v engine cutting out
« Reply #1 on: May 26th, 2022, 2:26pm »

This might not be the answer but it's easy to try: clean the IACV (carb cleaner) to make sure the plunger is moving freely. If you've not done this before you'll probably notice the spindle and inside is coated in carbon deposits.

Something similar has happened to me twice now. Driving along no problem, foot off gas as I entered roundabout and it died. The second time it happened, a few years later in exactly the same place  Shocked, I managed to restart on the move and got home ok. Solved the issue but I'm expecting it to return as just noticing it's occasionally becoming hesitant again when just doodling along at 1700-1800 rpm. Going to give it another clean along with the MAF.

Like you, there's no codes and data scan using 'OBD2-Tricom' shows everything else is ok. But then it's difficult to recreate the issue when stationary.
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: May 26th, 2022, 5:40pm »

Thanks, I will try that tomorrow.
IP Logged

Pegasus

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 2nd, 2022, 11:10am »

Did mine the other day and the 'hesitancy' at low revs has disappeared  Smiley

Note IACV is really a throttle air by-pass valve
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Jun 2nd, 2022, 6:43pm »

I had a spare valve so stripped it down and gave it a good clean and then it was one off and one on. Haven't had a chance to try the car yet but fingers crossed.  

Someone way back when suggested removing relay 17 and giving it a sharp tap as it can sometimes stick on low revs so I have done that as well.

Tony
IP Logged

Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10th, 2022, 8:16pm »

I once had a problem of occasionally cutting out just as I was pulling away at a junction. Turned out to be a failing MAF but don't think I had any codes.
If it happens again try disconnecting the MAF - should run fine without it, if the problem remains at least you've ruled the MAF out.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pegasus

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Jun 11th, 2022, 12:41pm »

on Jun 10th, 2022, 8:16pm, Tompion wrote:
If it happens again try disconnecting the MAF - should run fine without it, if the problem remains at least you've ruled the MAF out.

Can't imagine the engine running fine with the MAF disconnected, Dave, but it should still run  - albeit roughly  Wink
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Jun 11th, 2022, 1:06pm »

Can't speak for the 24v but you wouldn't know it's disconnected on my 2.3.
Don't forget a lot of this stuff is to do with emissions (and getting through the MOT) - nothing to do with how well the engine runs.

From this page it would appear to depend on whether or not there are other faults whether or not it goes into limp home mode:
https://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/maftest.htm

It says:
"INVOKING LOS
Limited Operation Strategy is invoked when the PCM cannot obtain enough data to complete its calculations, or where a faulty sensor puts the autobox at risk of damage. Rather than simply stopping the engine and stranding the owner, the PCM provides for an ignition spark at 10° BTDC and minimum fuel for combustion. Torque and RPM is strictly limited and LOS is obvious to the driver.

In the case of a suspect MAF it is very easy to remove its influence and check the vehicle operation. Simply disconnect the MAF multiplug and then test drive the vehicle. The fuelling is now solely by RPM/ECT and if the noticed fault does not reoccur then the MAF is the culprit.  NOTE: the fuelling is now in Open Loop - full LOS may not be experienced if other sensors are providing satisfactory data."

IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Torbayboy

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Jun 11th, 2022, 8:02pm »

Sorry to but in, disconnected the MAF once on one of my cossies and it thumps on gearchanges, didnt cure whatever the problem was at the time or would have noted on here, reconnected it straight away and gearchange was fine.

Greetings from Debn

Smiley
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Pegasus

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13th, 2022, 2:14pm »

On a Cossie you'd know immediately that the MAF wasn't connected (esp after cleaning and restoring after forgetting to reconnect  Shocked ) - the revs just go up and down like a yo-yo.

Never experienced driving with a dead MAF although a faulty 1 could cause problems - depending on how bad it was. One ex-member noticed gear change problems but drivable and the idle wasn't yo-yoing. I scanned his cossie at a meet and it was clear the MAF had failed (readings hardly moved when increasing revs).

As TorbayBoy said - not a good idea to disconnect and drive on a cossie.
IP Logged

Go Go Go ...
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Jan 5th, 2023, 9:44am »

on Jun 2nd, 2022, 6:43pm, Tenfut wrote:
I had a spare valve so stripped it down and gave it a good clean and then it was one off and one on. Haven't had a chance to try the car yet but fingers crossed.  

Someone way back when suggested removing relay 17 and giving it a sharp tap as it can sometimes stick on low revs so I have done that as well.

Tony

Hi Tony, Just reading through some older posts and wondered if the IAC turned out to be the problem? Sounds like you have it fixed as later posts are mot pass etc.
Regards. John.
IP Logged
Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #11 on: Jan 6th, 2023, 9:08am »

Hi  John, difficult to say if it was the IAC causing the problem as I did the 2 fixes at the same time. My best guess would be that the cure was relay 17 being removed, contacts cleaned and put back securely. The reason I say this is that the IAC I took off seemed to be equally as good as the replacement. In retrospect I should have done one fix at a time.

Tony
IP Logged

cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Jan 8th, 2023, 5:46pm »

Thanks Tony. I've just broken down again today so my repair wiring (although it was required) on the EDIS6 was not my cutting out issue. Travelling along at speed and there seemed to be a hiccup and then I knew it was about to cut out. Luckily was able to get into a layby just as it died. My car seems to run for about 20-25 minutes and then cuts out. It wants to re-fire but will not start. If I leave it sitting for a few hours it will then start again as today and got me home. I left it sitting ticking over in the driveway and then it just cut out. (It's like the old fashioned condenser problem on a distributor). So something is heating up too much after 20 odd minutes running and causing cutting out. I will go and look at posts regarding relay 17 which seems to be the fuel pump relay (big green one in fusebox by the looks of it).
I will post up on this thread if I find out what's wrong with my 24v.
John.
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #13 on: May 30th, 2023, 3:36pm »

Just thought I would post up that my issue seems to have been a failing crankshaft sensor. Car is running great. Now to fix some other issues.
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22nd, 2023, 10:16am »

Where did you ge t a sensor.
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #15 on: Jul 24th, 2023, 2:20pm »

I have a full spare engine and took the one off that. Have not been able to source a new one. May have to make a bracket to take an alternative one in the future if this one fails.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.