Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 8:23pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Removing top windscreen weatherstrip »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Removing top windscreen weatherstrip
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Removing top windscreen weatherstrip  (Read 480 times)
DavidBE

1998 Ghia X 2.9 24V Auto Estate

View Profile

Removing top windscreen weatherstrip
« on: Jun 15th, 2022, 6:25pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

(I'm rather nervous about posting, as on those rare occasions I'm clear headed enough and low-pain enough to try and sort something on the car and post a question here, almost invariably some unexpected major problem immediately lands from nowhere and takes all my attention instead. Last time, IIRC, I suddenly discovered the house had suffered a stealth rodent invasion that took weeks and weeks to sort. Well - I'll chance it ...)

This is going to sound a very feeble and stupid question to ask, but how exactly does one remove the weatherstrip at the top of the windscreen without breaking it so it can be refitted? I've read the Ford Technical Manual pdf here on removing/replacing the windscreen, which has a diagram of the weatherstrip being levered up at the end, and showing the five weatherstrip retaining clips, but it's not clear how what fits to what, and I'm afraid to just start levering on things in case something snaps - for one thing, I can't find a replacement weatherstrip available anywhere (even though it's the same as the one on all the Mark III Granadas) to replace if I break it taking it off. Does the back of the weatherstrip snap-fit onto the retaining clips, or hook behind them or something? An exact description of how the weatherstrip and clips fit and work, and how to get the strip off without breaking anything would be very appreciated.

-

As a by-the-way, in case anyone is interested and can comment on whether I'm on the right track or completely off base, I'm wanting to remove the weatherstrip because I think I need to to fix the one small issue I haven't dealt with yet with this Cossie estate I bought in 2020. The front edge of the headlining is loose, hanging down a little where it's not held up by the centre console: NOT sagging headlining fabric - it's the stiff foam backing bowing down with the fabric still attached. This puzzled me for awhile as it looks like the headlining front edge should fit into something, but there's nothing there for it to fit into. (It's especially frustrating that I had my previous 2.3 saloon for 13 years with a properly fitting headlining front edge, but never had a reason to look at it to see how it fitted; and I haven't seen a single other Scorpio since getting my 'new' one to look at the headlining fitting.) I did look on the headlining page of the Ford Technical Manual here, and also the Ford Scorpio parts catalogue (on 7zap) but annoyingly neither show anything that fits onto the front edge of the headlining. However I eventually looked at the windscreen removal/refitting in the Ford technical manual pdf here, and that instructs and illustrates removing the 'headlining rubber' before removing the windscreen (and replacing it before putting a windscreen back in position), and that is clearly a rubber strip with a slot that the front edge of the headlining fits into; and on the windscreen page of the parts catalogue it shows this headlining rubber, labelled the 'Spacer - Windscreen Glass Opening' but clearly orientated with the slot towards the headlining, not the glass. Now, on mine there is a rubber strip, at the top of the windscreen, but with no slit to fit the headlining in, and it also is split along part of its length. What I think has happened is that somebody in the past fitted the headlining rubber over the top of the windscreen instead of onto the headlining (probably causing the split as it's designed to fit over the narrow headlining front edge, not the much thicker top edge of the windscreen). I was pleasantly surprised to find someone selling a genuine Ford, never used and still Ford packaged 'Spacer - Windscreen Glass Opening'/headlining rubber, so I have that ready to fit, but I need to get the old split rubber out from over the top of the windscreen, and I'm hoping removing the windscreen top weatherstrip will let me poke it over and in. Or I'll find I still haven't understood this correctly. But it is irritating that I've got this otherwise perfect, low mileage, everything working Cossie estate with this obviously not fitted right front edge of the headlining.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

Re: Removing top windscreen weatherstrip
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18th, 2022, 5:41pm »

The headlining cloth is wrapped around the headlining board and glued it doesn't need to clip into anything. The cloth has a foam backing the foam tends to crumble over time so it comes away from the board.
Just had a look at mine that I recovered a few years ago. It was just against the rubber when I took it out and that's how I put it back. It is possible for me to flex the rubber over the headling but it wouldn't be holding the cloth in place it just relies on the sun visor brackets and overhead console.

The windsceen is bedded on mastic all round, you wouldn't be able to poke anything over the windscreen.

Look on youtube you'll find videos showing headlinings being recovered on other cars.
The board is quite flexible, not sure what it’s made of.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
brds

View Profile Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 18th, 2022, 6:55pm »

I'm in the process of changing the headlining on my 2.0L 1995 estate and just took it out this afternoon (1.5 hours).
Before it all drooped, the front of the cloth looks like it originally wrapped around the edge. Maybe it was originally designed to clip into the strip but the front of the board wasn't like that when I took it out. The strip is now far too brittle to flex over the board so when I put it back it will just butt up to the strip.
The board is thin (3mm) stiff foamy stuff covered on the inside with what looks like thin black fibre-glass cloth.
Interestingly, I found a printout inside the roof that gave a build specification for the car.
I did my Rover 75 estate last week and the setup was much the same except that the board was fibre-glass and twice as thick.  It always seems to me that the Rover was over-engineered - maybe why they went skint.
IP Logged
Tompion
Administrator

1997 2.3 Ultima estate.

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: Jun 18th, 2022, 7:26pm »

on Jun 18th, 2022, 6:55pm, brds wrote:

Interestingly, I found a printout inside the roof that gave a build specification for the car.

Mine also had the spec printout above the board.
IP Logged

ABS multiplug wheel sensor pins MK IV or MK 20
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.