Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 18th, 2024, 5:06am

Balance: £11.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« New purchase, few issues »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   New purchase, few issues
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: New purchase, few issues  (Read 496 times)
Planky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

New purchase, few issues
« on: Oct 3rd, 2022, 9:17am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Good morning and thankyou for allowing me to join, I picked up an R-reg Cosworth with hasnt been used for a while, battery was flat so jumpstarted and drove home. Few things I found wrong (im sure there wiil be more later on and I get to know the car)
1 - Sunroof doesnt work - owner told me this, not going to bother looking into until summer
2-Drivers seat motor if adjusted will not return - ist this just a case of replacing motor or does it require seat?
3 - I cannot change the trip meter from km or cycle thru - the Mode, S and R buttons do not seem to do anything
4 - Heating - On HI, its toasty but if I try turn down to say 25, then the air drops down to cold
5 - Heated front screen - button lights up but doesnt seem to work
6 - Steams up - for some reason it seems to steam up an awful lot

Any pointers as to where to start would be greatly recieved

Jamie
IP Logged
Torbayboy

View Profile

Re: New purchase, few issues
« Reply #1 on: Oct 3rd, 2022, 1:52pm »

Hi and welcome to Scorpioland!  Grin

Probably needs using, if the dash lights up, stop and restart many bits on the clocks play up if not in regular use, obviously dont ignore  oil and battery!

Sunroof loves to strip the nylon gear, I personally dont ever try them, down to you really.

The trip switches can be a pain, repeatedly pressing any and all combinations generally gets a result, if you get "needle flick" they go back to km setting, possibly find another from a scrapper as the switch wears.

Aircon needs a regas and reset, details on here.

Front screens tend to fail in some places, frosty morning tells the story, granada 3 screen fits  on insurance should be £75
wont affect claims etc.

Steamy windows on cold morning means damp somewhere, check under carpets particularly in front.

Hope you enjoy life with it, lovely cars but a challenge to find bits for particularly for the 2.3 engines as the bangers love em and strip all cars with it in.

Friendly lot on here, and many with vast knowledge far better than mine. Huh
IP Logged

Cosworth Scorpio only 46 on the road now NOW down to 42.
Planky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2022, 3:22pm »

Many thanks for the reply, its the 2.9 one, Im really happy as I havent had a classic ford in years..... I shall no endeavour to work way thru Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

Very old.BAD tempered and missing friends.

View Profile Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 4th, 2022, 6:42am »

Windows steaming up.... As stated damp somewhere. Check the scuttle drains either side of the bulkhead inside the engine compartment. https://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/acdrain.htm
Most of what you mention can be found by searching through HERE
Most, if not all the problems you mention have at sometime or other been covered on this forum. It is just a case of finding them.
Good luck

P.S. Don't forget the WHOLE of the FMC workshop manual is on the main site. and the wiring diagrams are also available.

IP Logged

HELP the FORUM.Please DONATE
Planky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #4 on: Oct 4th, 2022, 8:26am »

Superb, thankyou very much Smiley
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 5th, 2022, 8:19am »

Forgot to mention the front scuttle drains are also prone to blocking, They are just hole in the bulkhead up stand and covered by a rubber flap. Especially the one by the battery. Have you got a battery cover on the battery?
IP Logged

Tenfut

White Cosworth Saloon

View Profile

« Reply #6 on: Oct 5th, 2022, 8:55am »

Re the trip meter, take it out (small screwdriver helps) and spray with electrical contact cleaner then work the plug in and out a few times. Works for me.

HTH
IP Logged

Everything in moderation!!
Planky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #7 on: Oct 5th, 2022, 3:30pm »

yep got battery cover, seems I have a bit of work to do there as battery tray has a hole apparently
IP Logged
Planky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #8 on: Oct 5th, 2022, 3:38pm »

on Oct 5th, 2022, 8:55am, Tenfut wrote:
Re the trip meter, take it out (small screwdriver helps) and spray with electrical contact cleaner then work the plug in and out a few times. Works for me.

HTH

Brilliant I shall try that thankyou
IP Logged
Simmo
Administrator

I'm an OAP !

View Profile

« Reply #9 on: Oct 5th, 2022, 8:45pm »

Re steaming up. Check the pollen filters in the bulkhead. Is the flap fitted properly and are the filters clean and DRY?.

Details:- https://www.fordscorpio.co.uk/cabinfilters.htm
IP Logged

Now I'm an OAP
Planky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #10 on: Oct 6th, 2022, 5:01pm »

Little update, just checked the pollen filters and they look a little scrunched and not been replaced in a while so got a set coming to see if that sorts the condesation, the trip meter needs a new switch as I have taken it out as the buttons didnt feel very responsive and have found that there are actually no internals so someone must have had apart and lost them so just put switch back. drains also cleared out.  I have also found cruise control doesnt seem to work and fuses seem ok to toe heated screen, not overly fussed as I have been driving an ex london cab and an old Metro 114 for past few years and never had those luxuries would just be nice to have haha
IP Logged
Snoopy
Administrator

View Profile Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 8th, 2022, 8:59am »

RE the Heated front screen, check the earth lead which are on both sides of the car and under the rubber strip i seem to recall, BUT someone will correct me I am sure if that is incorrect.
Are you sure its the screen? The engine HAS to be running for it to work, also the bulb might have blown in the switch. Personally I never used the heated screen as I kept the car in the garage.
IP Logged

Planky

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #12 on: Oct 10th, 2022, 10:57am »

yeah with the car running, the light comes on the switch but it doesnt seem to work....
IP Logged
a900one

A scorpio is for life not just for christmas

View Profile Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30th, 2022, 10:14am »

I had a Granada before the scorpio and that screen. did not work, same on the scorpio. The sun roof has more than likely got very rusty around the frame, most do I have had to fit a new one to mine, and thats why it wont work.
Regards Gerald.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.