Click to return to main site

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 30th, 2024, 4:30pm

Balance: £6.65
Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Login Login
Ford Scorpio Forum« Yippee! Cosworth 24v rewired and running »
   Ford Scorpio Forum
   General
   Problems
(Moderators: admin, Highlander, scorpio_man, Baz, Simmo)
   Yippee! Cosworth 24v rewired and running
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Yippee! Cosworth 24v rewired and running  (Read 346 times)
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Yippee! Cosworth 24v rewired and running
« on: Apr 5th, 2023, 9:19pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So I finally got round to rewiring the engine and gearbox looms over the last couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to have another loom so was able to start some of the rewire before bringing the scorpio into the garage to strip off the inlets etc and exhausts.
I made up the brown plug which deals with all the wiring from bellhousing back. So both gearbox plugs and speedo drive as well as both post cat lambdas. As advised by Scorpio Dan (thanks mate notes were invaluable alongside my own findings) I bought the new pins for the square black and broun plugs and ignored that fact that some pins are gold plated it would seem. This is not a gold plated install and will still work much better that what I found in the looms etc.
As my scorpio pick up is a Q plate and as one of my post cat lamdas was broken I did not run new wires for these lamdas. Now that the exhausts cats etc are off I will be de-cat-ing the car. The secondary lamdas are only there to warn when cats are not working so will re-program/delete later in the eec-v.
Anyway after judging the length from my spare engine and box etc you can pretty much run the exact same length of wires for everything and as I have done run it from top of bellhousing and around the wing to the plug in point. I removed all the wiring from the V of the engine and put the injector rails back on with the intention of keeping the wires higher on the engine in case of any future investigation requirements or transfer to after market ecu if the internal wiring loom gets into the same state as the engine loom.Time will tell.
So they were only 2 wires from this loom to go into the actual engine loom(black plug) these 2 go into crimped distribution feeds which I did bring up and over back of engine.
The problem I did have in trying to keep the engine loom above the fuel rails was trying to then get the throttle body etc down into the V for reconnection. A little bit of redirection of new loom was required and I now have it coming around over the top of the coil pack and round into the black socket plug.
I also decided to re-run the coil pack wiring directly to the EDIS module along with new screened crank sensor wiring. The original loom would take these via the black plug and then along to the EDIS module. T o reduce the liklihood of more wiring problems in that part of the loom I took it direct there.
I have started it a few times now without the exhausts on and sounds really loud Grin nut seems to be running fine engine wise.
Need to make up my new stainless downpipes to connect to rear stainless exhaust part post gearbox and then get it out and see if it has all been worth it.  
John.
IP Logged
Scorpio_Dan

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

Re: Yippee! Cosworth 24v rewired and running
« Reply #1 on: Apr 5th, 2023, 9:35pm »

Excellent news! Well done. I'm glad the info helped you.

I used screened cable on the cam, crank and a twisted pair for vehicle  

speed. I like the idea of the injector wiring.

I would like to replace my exhaust with a stainless type and a manifold, what are you using?

Dan
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #2 on: Apr 5th, 2023, 9:59pm »

Hi Dan,
I have a tig welder and plasma cutter so intend cutting some new flanges to mate to the existing cast exhaust manifolds for ease at the moment. Although looking at the space from under the car with cats removed there could be room to make up some tubular but not just now.  All cats are made from stainless steel anyway but I want to release a bit more power by a de-cat as Q plates all get tested to pre 1976 emissions according to the book. which is a benefit of having a Q I suppose.
Anyway I have ordered some 57mm stainless pipe and 45 degree bends from profusion exhausts and will practise my tig welding again although I tend to be a better grinder after the fact  
 Roll Eyes
I bought a spare EDIS6 module from a guy on ebay and have discovered that he has a Scimitar GTE same as me that he put a BOB engine into. He had to do away with ECU etc and go manual RX8 gearbox as he had the wiring issues and couldnt find an aftermarket ECU to control the auto box. He ended up with an Emerald ECU to run it. I already have a hybrid MT75 onto the back of a 2.9 standard cologne in my scimitar so my spare BOB may find its way in there eventually. Grin
IP Logged
cobrascim

I'm a YaBB newbie!

View Profile

« Reply #3 on: May 22nd, 2023, 4:37pm »

Well now. Car still cutting out and seems to be a temperature related problem. Obviously engine and gearbox loom been rewired and finally got my exhaust pipes done and car starts and sounds great. It seems to vary but after about half an hour idling it will cut out. On trying to restart it will go to fire but actually wont start. I'm starting to suspect fuel pump issue and will need to trace the wires down to the P100 altered tank that is fitted to this thing. I may get lucky and it might just be a high resistance connection or something but will post back when I get to the bottom of this.
John.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Ford Scorpio Forum » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.